Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 01:40 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times

Advertisements

The firearms industry is unwelcome, so we bere in the West, and lest I be remiss, the South, should be included as well, welcome the industry, and the jobs that go with it, with as many red carpets as we can throw down. I should say that CA is not included as part of the West anymore, so, I offer that our shooting bretheren there, join up with us.
Jobs in the firearms business....it don't get any better. Have a good life NE US. We will take what you dont want. Yippeeeee!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 02:30 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,243,362 times
New England used to be somewhat free, fiscally responsible and self sufficient, but the Mass. liberals breed like flies and don't stay in their own state. Too bad, but it's so crowded and expensive to live here that true Americans have been seeking freer pastures for a while. Hopefully they'll be at least a few acres left that the liberals haven't yet ruined.

As to the firearms industry, I despair that ANY productive business can survive our nation's over-regulated, tax-mad and corrupt government. Soon we won't make ANYTHING here in America anymore, and sadly some people think a nation can actually survive that way.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:31 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
The firearms industry is unwelcome, so we bere in the West, and lest I be remiss, the South, should be included as well, welcome the industry, and the jobs that go with it, with as many red carpets as we can throw down. I should say that CA is not included as part of the West anymore, so, I offer that our shooting bretheren there, join up with us.
Jobs in the firearms business....it don't get any better. Have a good life NE US. We will take what you dont want. Yippeeeee!!!!
Another RW wet dream.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:46 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,422,622 times
The Northeast region has a GDP that CRUSHES the Southern states. I doubt anyone would care if gun manufacturers left.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:10 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
The Northeast region has a GDP that CRUSHES the Southern states. I doubt anyone would care if gun manufacturers left.
How about their employees? Do you think they would feel really safe with Obama unemployment insurance?

Old 01-18-2013, 04:16 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
How about their employees? Do you think they would feel really safe with Obama unemployment insurance?

Gun mfg is heavily automated. Don't need many people. Sturm Ruger has just 1,200 (yahoo financials as it is publicly traded). Corp is in Ct, and their execs wanted it that way (I worked with some of their execs before elsewhere). Corps payroll, I would bet, dwarfs the Az plant, despite having fewer employees. Gross payroll $ drives taxes collected and discretionary income; it is not driven by headcount.

The few warm bodies can be anywhere-they mfg mostly in Az. It's a cheap labor force, and if they want parts from Mexico, it is a feasable option, too.

And yes, the financial industry accounts for more GDP in a day than US gun mfg in a month. When Marlin Firearms closed in Ct, the state offered NOTHING. When a Wall st trading firm wanted to relo from Wilton to Stamford, Ct, the state knowing they could move to NJ or NY offered several million. The latter mattered far more than a few hundred jobs at the dying Marlin plant to state coffers and GDP. I'm no fan of Wall St, but it would not be logical for the state to choose firearm mfg in an era w/o 5 figure headcounts over Wall St, when doling out incentives.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:40 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
The firearms industry is unwelcome,.......
Hold your horses, PA is one of the most gun friendly states in the country and a few other New England states are not far behind.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:51 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,873,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Gun mfg is heavily automated. Don't need many people. Sturm Ruger has just 1,200 (yahoo financials as it is publicly traded). Corp is in Ct, and their execs wanted it that way (I worked with some of their execs before elsewhere). Corps payroll, I would bet, dwarfs the Az plant, despite having fewer employees. Gross payroll $ drives taxes collected and discretionary income; it is not driven by headcount.

The few warm bodies can be anywhere-they mfg mostly in Az. It's a cheap labor force, and if they want parts from Mexico, it is a feasable option, too.

And yes, the financial industry accounts for more GDP in a day than US gun mfg in a month. When Marlin Firearms closed in Ct, the state offered NOTHING. When a Wall st trading firm wanted to relo from Wilton to Stamford, Ct, the state knowing they could move to NJ or NY offered several million. The latter mattered far more than a few hundred jobs at the dying Marlin plant to state coffers and GDP. I'm no fan of Wall St, but it would not be logical for the state to choose firearm mfg in an era w/o 5 figure headcounts over Wall St, when doling out incentives.
Sturm & Ruger have been making their semi-automatic pistols near Prescott, Arizona, for over 20 years and they are a good company in Yavapai County, about 70 miles northwest of Phoenix.

They picked a great location for the facility because Arizona for the most part is a very pro-2nd Amendment state, and so is the City of Prescott and all the areas around it.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:32 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Sturm & Ruger have been making their semi-automatic pistols near Prescott, Arizona, for over 20 years and they are a good company in Yavapai County, about 70 miles northwest of Phoenix.

They picked a great location for the facility because Arizona for the most part is a very pro-2nd Amendment state, and so is the City of Prescott and all the areas around it.

Great. I have been in Prescott, and yes, for them, the few hundred jobs are a big deal. But on the Gold Coast where their headquarters is located, the same jobs would produce a big yawn. That is where roysoldboy jumped the shark. I was visiting Ct when Marlin announced their closing; also a facility with a few hundred jobs, an annual payroll in the low teens of millions. In a region like Southern Ct, where the Gold Coast trading firms have payrolls with bonuses dozens of times that, a closure like that gets scant attention, as ideology does not drive the Economic Development team. Just show them your anticipated gross payroll and annual capital expenditures, and both need to be far larger than the levels of firearms mfg today.

Now in my teen years, remington employed many times Sturm Ruger's 2013 headcount, as those were labor intensive days.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:41 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Another RW wet dream.
Seems to me its a left wing wet dream. Banish those evil gun makers from your bastions of the New Utopia. Nice discourse thogh. Lol....so well thought through. I stand skewered, by your scintillating wit. Lmao ...humor IS in the eye after all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies