Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2012, 04:01 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
The problem with guns in the house is, they are so accessible when tensions are high. Or when someone has a manic episode.

I would like to see a measure of how many people have died because someone in the house became angry or "temporarily insane" and shot them, versus how many successfully shot and stopped an intruder.

Using such logic, I could justify taking you personally and locking you up in a cell with a straight jacket where you are fed through a straw the rest of your life.

The point is, you do not justify infringement based on your subjective opinion as to what someone "may" do, but rather what they have shown that they have done.

That essentially comes down to the basic principal of our justice system which is "innocent until proven innocent". It is a core principal that means we do not "assume", "speculate", or "divine" the intentions of another, that we are not gods and can not establish such. Until another shows such to be evident, we treat them as good and responsible in intention.

A society that does not respect such, does not deserve to be free. Please forgive me if I am not an advocate of your system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 04:02 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
After what happened this past week, we do NOT need to calm down.

Twenty dead kids and seven dead adults may be acceptable collateral damage to you, but to the rest of us, it is NOT. We need to get angry and take meaningful action so that we don't keep revisiting this every month.

We're supposed to be the richest, most advanced nation on the planet, and yet we have by far the highest murder rate in the developed world. Something is WRONG here, and we should not set our standards low and accept it.
You are correct, we do need to take meaningful action, but banning certain types of weapons is not the answer. The action we need to take is in addressing the issues that cause someone like Adam Lanza to go on a shooting spree in an elementary school, not the tools that he used to carry that shooting spree out.

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
A couple pairs of old cap and ball 6 shooters (or just 2 or 3 LeMats) would have accomplished the same. The weapon used is irrelevant. It's a people problem not a gun problem.
Utterly incorrect.

4,866 posts, read 5,678,521 times
You know what I find hilarious?

When people against gay marriage (for example) tell Liberals that they are against the union of people of the same gender.

The first thing to come out of their mouths is something along the lines of: "You don't like gay marriage? Don't get one!"

Or "You don't like abortions? Don't get one!"

Now, I advise you all to have the same type of approach when it comes to my RIGHT to keep and bear arms.

You don't like guns?

DON'T GET ONE!

Old 12-16-2012, 04:03 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,427 times
Quote:
That's absolutely the strongest issue. In a matter of less than ten minutes, Lanza was able to fill 20 children with as many as eleven bullets each, plus 6 adults. He used multiple magazines and just let fly because the gun he used made it incredibly easy for him to do it. The hospital was ready to treat victims but there were only three and two of those died.
Gives me the chills.

Read somewhere he had additional magazines, just couldn't use them in time as he heard responders arriving at the scene.

Last sentence reminds me of September 11. Something has to give...

1,604 posts, read 1,565,689 times
Quote:
The problem with guns in the house is, they are so accessible when tensions are high. Or when someone has a manic episode.

I would like to see a measure of how many people have died because someone in the house became angry or "temporarily insane" and shot them, versus how many successfully shot and stopped an intruder.
Exactly! I am glad to live in a gun free household. I've seen far too many cases on TV of people's spouses, kids etc. killing them with their own guns. All it takes is an argument, a heated conversation, you name it.

1,684 posts, read 1,185,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
After what happened this past week, we do NOT need to calm down.

Twenty dead kids and seven dead adults may be acceptable collateral damage to you, but to the rest of us, it is NOT. We need to get angry and take meaningful action so that we don't keep revisiting this every month.

We're supposed to be the richest, most advanced nation on the planet, and yet we have by far the highest murder rate in the developed world. Something is WRONG here, and we should not set our standards low and accept it.
You can call ME Harry!

Dirty Harry - Bus Hijack - YouTube

Old 12-16-2012, 04:04 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
I wouldn't kill anything I wasn't planning on eating and Im pro life...

You liberals need to calm down...
Funniest post of the day.

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
I tried very hard, but I can't think of any reason why a law abiding citizen would want to own an assault weapon. If your true motive for owning a gun is to protect yourself, why isn't a normal gun good enough? What's next, your own miniature nuclear bomb under the guise of "Second Amendment rights"? Where does it stop?
Some people collect cars. Some collect knives. Others like to collect guns. It doesn't mean that they want them all for "protection." A friend of mine has lots of guns; but only a few are for "protection." He just likes guns.

My neighbor likes to hunt, but I don't doubt that he has a few hand guns too. Almost everyone where I live has guns (except me, though I have thought about it — for protection — but I wouldn't buy one without getting training in use and safety).

I fired a 44 Magnum once. It's a cannon! It belonged to a friend, and we were just target shooting (I only fired it once!). That was many years ago, and I was still in the Navy. I haven't fired a gun since.

4,866 posts, read 5,678,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
You are correct, we do need to take meaningful action, but banning certain types of weapons is not the answer. The action we need to take is in addressing the issues that cause someone like Adam Lanza to go on a shooting spree in an elementary school, not the tools that he used to carry that shooting spree out.

I do not understand why people are not discussing the reason why someone commits such a heinous crime. To me, that should be the point of discussion...Not the object that was used to cause it. Because you can take said object away, but you cannot take away the DESIRE and the WILL those sick people have to hurt others.
You cannot legislate that.

It is naive to assume a human being will say "Well, okay! I can't get a gun to kill XYZ so I am just not going to kill them!". They will find other means to!

What drives someone to kill? Steal? Cheat? Is it an object? Is it a gun? A knife? A bomb? Their private parts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies