Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2013, 04:36 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,870,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
I tried very hard, but I can't think of any reason why a law abiding citizen would want to own an assault weapon. If your true motive for owning a gun is to protect yourself, why isn't a normal gun good enough? What's next, your own miniature nuclear bomb under the guise of "Second Amendment rights"? Where does it stop?
So you speak for all law abiding citizens?
All law abiding citizens are limited by what you think?

So if a law abiding citizen does not act within the boundaries of your thinking they are no longer law abiding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 05:01 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,878,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
The downside to your argument is that most firearms owners are starting to feel like they are being backed into a corner by legislators like Feinstein and the supporters of firearms "regulations" that any person with common sense knows won't do a bit of good. All this talk of limiting capacity and restricting weapons is an attack on our Constitutionally protected rights, but those who are supporting this legislation want to tiptoe around that little fact and pretend that our rights won't be affected.
Its still not a downside, it just an opinion based on political sides. Examples; Not all gun owners are supporting the NRA like they would have everyone think.Not all Democrats are Gun haters and want to ban all guns. When there is such a horrific shooting as in CT., did you think every person out there would just forget after a while as in the past ? No, this time many of our leaders want to act, yes, some of this is political ( strike while the iron is hot )., its also a call from so many all across the Country for something to be done in a serious way, both sides of the isle. Firearms have always been regulated in some degree, depends where and when. The last time I heard the feeling is mutual among gun owners and those who choose not to be, for a call to action. Restricting weapons ? You know thats already the law of the land, fully automatics for one example." Capacity" ? I suppose you mean larger gun clips on semi automatic guns. I do see that as one of the things that need to be discussed. Its not , again , taking away anything from anybody, but it could help limit the time the shooter has to kill more people,., if only a few seconds.. No its not a "fix all''" maybe not anything thats needs to be done, ether way its not an attack on Constitutional rights no more than the killing of the people who will not go on in life to enjoy, what IS given by the Founding Fathers, the pursuit of happiness !

Old 01-06-2013, 05:05 PM

657 posts, read 691,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
I tried very hard, but I can't think of any reason why a law abiding citizen would want to own an assault weapon. If your true motive for owning a gun is to protect yourself, why isn't a normal gun good enough? What's next, your own miniature nuclear bomb under the guise of "Second Amendment rights"? Where does it stop?
Here is your answer. The creator gave us life and the right to defend it against others as well as corrupt governments. Notice i said creator, NOT governments. The government did not give us this right and CANNOT take it either.

We should be able to defend our lives and our family's life against anyone.

Where does it stop? Do you think criminals care about laws? That's where it stops.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:08 PM

657 posts, read 691,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Its still not a downside, it just an opinion based on political sides. Examples; Not all gun owners are supporting the NRA like they would have everyone think.Not all Democrats are Gun haters and want to ban all guns. When there is such a horrific shooting as in CT., did you think every person out there would just forget after a while as in the past ? No, this time many of our leaders want to act, yes, some of this is political ( strike while the iron is hot )., its also a call from so many all across the Country for something to be done in a serious way, both sides of the isle. Firearms have always been regulated in some degree, depends where and when. The last time I heard the feeling is mutual among gun owners and those who choose not to be, for a call to action. Restricting weapons ? You know thats already the law of the land, fully automatics for one example." Capacity" ? I suppose you mean larger gun clips on semi automatic guns. I do see that as one of the things that need to be discussed. Its not , again , taking away anything from anybody, but it could help limit the time the shooter has to kill more people,., if only a few seconds.. No its not a "fix all''" maybe not anything thats needs to be done, ether way its not an attack on Constitutional rights no more than the killing of the people who will not go on in life to enjoy, what IS given by the Founding Fathers, the pursuit of happiness !
Fix?

Banning guns does the opposite, makes it less safer.

Which would you rather have if someone pulls out a machete on you, a gun or a phone to call the cops. This is the truth..

Let's stop having knee jerk reactions and let's stop and think.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:43 PM

11,054 posts, read 10,614,105 times
Quote:
As I posted elsewhere on the forums, if an intruder breaks into my house, I want and need as many rounds as I can possibly load in order to stop them. Limiting the capacity of magazines on any firearm is effectively limiting that firearm's ability to do what it was purchased for, which in the vast majority of cases is to defend one's self or one's family. How can you possibly say that limiting magazine capacity and prohibiting firearms that belong to a completely made-up category is not an attack on our right to defend ourselves?

What it comes down to is that we have politicians and citizens in the U.S. who have no clue what they are talking about that have made a conscious decision that I and the rest of the law-abiding firearms owners in our country aren't capable of making our own decisions about how we are allowed to exercise our 2nd Amendment protected rights. In their minds, they know better than us, and they are trying to force us to bend to their wishes in direct opposition of our Constitution.

This has been a dream of a certain segment of our population for decades, and Sandy Hook was, at best, just a great way for them to push their agenda.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:01 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,870,889 times
Quote:
All the right win gun advocates have one thing that overrides other rational thinking. Its that fear someone IS going to take away their GUNS, sooner or later. If this needs to be a political war, then thats what it will be....But it does not have to be. There was a time when right and left got along, listened to opposing views, made compromise to get the peoples work done. Today we have a non functioning Congress, both Houses.Why do you think the public approval is so low, it could hardly be lower, yet they keep getting elected, they keep gerrymandering Districts, keep beholding to huge special interests. There are more lobbyists on Capital Hill then there are law makers, including all aides, clerical personal, even limo drivers.Our Government is broken !
Now, your statements: " Guns are not the problem" "insanity is" then you go on to blame it all on one political party, one mindset that differs from yours. That my friend is just plain wrong, you are turning all the violence/gun related problems on one side, which, goes to show you are more concerned about Politics than solving the problem. You go on " what liberal laws have done" ? There is no such thing. Our system of Government, a Republic, allows for minority opinion to sometimes rule the day. Other times its the majority rule. The system was meant to be a check and balance , to give power to ALL the people, thats a Republic, sometimes its not just the majority.
So, lets try to put aside the far sided views, from both sides, and try to get something done for once in this sorry state of affairs we call the United States Of America !!!
Sorry..... We don't fear anything.... Certainly not having some wanna be tuff guy Govt offical. Why we would simply say NO......

Then if that official acted further breaking the LAW, we would wait politely until he made a threat and then drop him like the scum bag he is for being a traitor.

There are a few problems with that idea. One is you won't get anyone to break their oath who isn't an elected official, so the next problem you have is always the same one.

No Enforcement.......

You see not only are gun grabbers incapable of learning one type of gun from another, you evidently are the very same way understand the law.....

Perhaps you should consider moving to some other country where you have No Rights.. Almost every other country is that way.

I am not blaming insanity one one party or the other, but then the left has been acting insane a long time.

Being politically correct is the very act of insanity. The idea my wife is going be able to pull the kinds of bull labor I do, is insanity.

The idea all people are equal is insanity...... The more PC people try to prove these otherwise self evident hair brained ideas just proves the insanity goes on.....

Considering gays are getting married is wacko insane, but it's legal now i guess....

It seems to me every single thing the left do is insane. Maybe if the Govt just stopped insane spending, and to well past the value of things some sanity would return, but I don't expect that to happen in my life time.

The Govt is like a x wife who has the idea her x is nothing more than a magic wallet.

Spending what you don't have is insane.....

All this talk about the gun is insane... The real problem is insanity, which appears to be a mental condition from Sea to Shining Sea for about 1/2 the population...

Get my Rights or my guns??????? never, NADA, NO, Non, it ain't gonna happen, and if you try i will kill you...

Breaking the law can and will get some people dead....

There is no fooling me..... I have seen the grabbers want handf guns, want black powder guns want sniper rifles and every other kind of gun there is.......

I know of you get one kind you won't stop until you have every kind...

So far as I care you won't get any of one kind ever for so long as I waste air on this side of the grass.

You can't take Rights the Govt didn't give... No one can..... Just trying is a crime.. Sucks to be you..

Old 01-06-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarasotaBound1 View Post
Here is your answer. The creator gave us life and the right to defend it against others as well as corrupt governments. Notice i said creator, NOT governments. The government did not give us this right and CANNOT take it either.

We should be able to defend our lives and our family's life against anyone.

Where does it stop? Do you think criminals care about laws? That's where it stops.
That's right, and more than that, the right to take back any form of tyrannical govt by force if need be.. These gun grabbers can't 'just' pass a law because they say so..... Obama can't just make a executive order and say it is LAW, but he can try

There are laws to check these public servants... They might not like what happens to them if they do, because if what they do is deemed an act of treason, that is a capitol crime, and if they were convicted of a capitol crime the penalty is Death.

I didn't make the LAW the fore fathers did...... I think they were really angry with George Rex.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
As I posted elsewhere on the forums, if an intruder breaks into my house, I want and need as many rounds as I can possibly load in order to stop them. Limiting the capacity of magazines on any firearm is effectively limiting that firearm's ability to do what it was purchased for, which in the vast majority of cases is to defend one's self or one's family. How can you possibly say that limiting magazine capacity and prohibiting firearms that belong to a completely made-up category is not an attack on our right to defend ourselves?

What it comes down to is that we have politicians and citizens in the U.S. who have no clue what they are talking about that have made a conscious decision that I and the rest of the law-abiding firearms owners in our country aren't capable of making our own decisions about how we are allowed to exercise our 2nd Amendment protected rights. In their minds, they know better than us, and they are trying to force us to bend to their wishes in direct opposition of our Constitution.

This has been a dream of a certain segment of our population for decades, and Sandy Hook was, at best, just a great way for them to push their agenda.
I find that curious about poly tic leeches who don't do very well running the country for us.. Yet we pay and pay and pay more, and can't seem to FIRE them for doing a bad job..

They infringe upon every detail of business and life, and would tell us how to run our lives in our very bed rooms and about 1/2 the population want that...

That is the half who free load off the other half.......

And the Govt has ruined any sense of money... No one in the time I have been here can define as much as what a dollar is worth.... No one..

We are not even trusted with cash by the govt who stolen it. And it wants the guns?

Nope, I don't think so........

Old 01-06-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarasotaBound1 View Post
Fix?

Banning guns does the opposite, makes it less safer.

Which would you rather have if someone pulls out a machete on you, a gun or a phone to call the cops. This is the truth..

Let's stop having knee jerk reactions and let's stop and think.
What are you talking about ? " fix" ? I gave no specifics ether way." banning guns" your idea.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:

Full automatic guns ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies