Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2012, 04:05 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Utterly incorrect.
No, carrying multiple revolvers was a tactic commonly and effectively used over a century ago. A Lemat revolver holds 9 loads in its cylinder and has a shotgun barrel as well, and that's 1860's technology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 04:05 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,565,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
You are correct, we do need to take meaningful action, but banning certain types of weapons is not the answer. The action we need to take is in addressing the issues that cause someone like Adam Lanza to go on a shooting spree in an elementary school, not the tools that he used to carry that shooting spree out.
What you are advocating for the is the status-quo. If we go by what you say, mass murders involving firearms will continue in America just as usual and that is totally unacceptable.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:06 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
I tried very hard, but I can't think of any reason why a law abiding citizen would want to own an assault weapon. If your true motive for owning a gun is to protect yourself, why isn't a normal gun good enough? What's next, your own miniature nuclear bomb under the guise of "Second Amendment rights"? Where does it stop?
First you've gotta define "assault weapon." It's not a term that has ever been used by firearms makers. Don't we kinda want to know what we are banning before we ban it?

Old 12-16-2012, 04:07 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
We really need to amend the First amendment to ban offensive posts like this. Your right to speak freely should not trump my right to bear arms.

bear arms ??so you should have the right to buy gernades, high explosives,50 caliber machine guns.. where does it end..

Gun Can Shoot 1 Million Rounds A Minute - YouTube

Old 12-16-2012, 04:07 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Victor View Post
You can call ME Harry!

Dirty Harry - Bus Hijack - YouTube
I don't expect intelligent commentary from you. You're precisely part of the problem.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:08 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
You know what I find hilarious?

When people against gay marriage (for example) tell Liberals that they are against the union of people of the same gender.

The first thing to come out of their mouths is something along the lines of: "You don't like gay marriage? Don't get one!"

Or "You don't like abortions? Don't get one!"

Now, I advise you all to have the same type of approach when it comes to my RIGHT to keep and bear arms.

You don't like guns?

DON'T GET ONE!

Exactly. Well said.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:09 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
How funny. The post about Lanza's mother being a prepper was deleted. It doesn't change the fact that she was a prepper and raised her son that way.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:10 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
A couple pairs of old cap and ball 6 shooters (or just 2 or 3 LeMats) would have accomplished the same. The weapon used is irrelevant. It's a people problem not a gun problem.
As mentioned I'm not a gun expert, but, quickly Googling those weapons, looks like the AR-15 has the capability of firing more rounds with greater speed (and without having to juggle an arsenal of weaponry).

Anywho, weapon of course is relevant. The exact same attack played out a few hours earlier in China. Except because access to guns is restricted, the attacker used a knife. No one died. But, to your point, it is also a people issue, particularly as it relates to mental health, exposure to violence, and, access.

And, yes, folks will say, eliminate guns and they'll just find an alternative method. Sure, that's the case with everything. But if restricted access over time significantly decreases the chance of these types of events occurring, (as it has successfully done in China, Japan, France, etc.), I'm all for some form of change.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:11 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,185,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I don't expect intelligent commentary from you. You're precisely part of the problem.
I don't expect any out of you. You are a coward!

You are damn right I have the balls to do such a thing.

Semper Fi~

Old 12-16-2012, 04:11 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
I tried very hard, but I can't think of any reason why a law abiding citizen would want to own an assault weapon. If your true motive for owning a gun is to protect yourself, why isn't a normal gun good enough? What's next, your own miniature nuclear bomb under the guise of "Second Amendment rights"? Where does it stop?
Do you have a hobby?

Shooting is a hobby and a sport.

Self defense is a right.

"Assault weapon" sounds so dangerous. Not one was used in this tragedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies