Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2012, 04:12 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
As mentioned I'm not a gun expert, but, quickly Googling those weapons, looks like the AR-15 has the capability of firing more rounds with greater speed.

Anywho, weapon of course is relevant. The exact same attack played out a few hours earlier in China. Except because access to guns is restricted, the attacker used a knife. No one died. But, to your point, it is also a people issue, particularly as it relates to mental health, exposure to violence, and, access.

And, yes, folks will say, eliminate guns and they'll just find an alternative method. Sure, that's the case with everything. But if restricted access over time significantly decreases the chance of these types of events occurring, (as it has successfully done in China, Japan, France, etc.), I'm all for some form of change.
Yeah and look how well it has worked in Mexico.. We are not asia, or Europe..We have an exposed southern border.... It is relevent..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 04:14 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
As mentioned I'm not a gun expert, but, quickly Googling those weapons, looks like the AR-15 has the capability of firing more rounds with greater speed.

Anywho, weapon of course is relevant. The exact same attack played out a few hours earlier in China. Except because access to guns is restricted, the attacker used a knife. No one died. But, to your point, it is also a people issue, particularly as it relates to mental health, exposure to violence, and, access.

And, yes, folks will say, eliminate guns and they'll just find an alternative method. Sure, that's the case with everything. But if restricted access over time significantly decreases the chance of these types of events occurring, (as it has successfully done in China, Japan, France, etc.), I'm all for some form of change.
An AR15 was not actually used in the shooting. Only the handguns were brought into the school and used. The same body count could have been racked up using 1860's era guns.

Bombs can be made with many readily available household items. The crazy mass killers will turn to even deadlier methods without guns.

Funny you should mention China when China is a pretty dangerous place. Of course most of the killing is perpetrated by their own government...

Old 12-16-2012, 04:15 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
What you are advocating for the is the status-quo. If we go by what you say, mass murders involving firearms will continue in America just as usual and that is totally unacceptable.
No, what I am advocating is reforming the mental health care system so that someone who is in need of therapy and intervention is able to get it, and can be forced to get it in necessary situations. What we have now is the mistaken belief that mentally deranged individuals know what is best for them in terms of treatment, which by definition is false.

The other thing that I am advocating is for society as a whole to take some responsibility in these situations and realize that when people started being penalized for disciplining their children the discipline ended. While I'm not a devout religious person, the saying "spare the rod and spoil the child" should at least be ringing some bells in situations like Newtown, Aurora, and Columbine.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:15 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Adam Lanza: How classmates remember the 'genius' who turned heartless killer | Mail Online

Her former sister-in-law Marsha said she had turned her home ‘into a fortress’. She added: ‘Nancy had a survivalist philosophy which is why she was stockpiling guns. She had them for defense.
‘She was stockpiling food. She grew up on a farm in New Hampshire. She was skilled with guns. We talked about preppers and preparing for the economy collapsing.’

Gunman's aunt speaks out about the Conn. shooting - Boston News, New England News, WHDH-TV 7NEWS WHDH.COM

“Last time we visited with her in person we talked about prepping and you know, are you ready for what can happen down the line when the economy collapses,” said the gunman’s aunt, Marsha Lanza.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:16 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Yeah and look how well it has worked in Mexico.. We are not asia, or Europe..We have an exposed southern border.... It is relevent..
Agreed, it is relevant. We are the source for allowing the insanity to continue.

"The Mexican leader added that solving the cross-border gun trafficking problem was critical to his bid to crack down on the drug-related violence that has killed 4,600 people in the past two years.
Mexico says 90 percent of the weapons used by drug gangs are bought in the United States, often legally. Mexican officials also want to see the U.S. Congress reinstate a ban on the sale of assault weapons that expired in 2004."

Old 12-16-2012, 04:19 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
No, what I am advocating is reforming the mental health care system so that someone who is in need of therapy and intervention is able to get it, and can be forced to get it in necessary situations. What we have now is the mistaken belief that mentally deranged individuals know what is best for them in terms of treatment, which by definition is false.

That is not the only issue. There was a poster here calling gun owners psychopaths. It is sad such words get thrown around like this. Mental illness in this country is still a taboo for many people. It is looked down on. "You have depression?! You are crazy!" You don't think that might keep people from seeking help? Therapy is actually not a bad thing. I do think it takes a lot of courage to admit you have a problem and seeking help to address the issue.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:21 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
An AR15 was not actually used in the shooting. Only the handguns were brought into the school and used. The same body count could have been racked up using 1860's era guns.

Bombs can be made with many readily available household items. The crazy mass killers will turn to even deadlier methods without guns.

Funny you should mention China when China is a pretty dangerous place. Of course most of the killing is perpetrated by their own government...
News reports, (including the medical examiner highlighting the number of bullets per body), state the gun utilized "most of the time" was indeed the AR-15. He used the handgun on himself.

This was published an hour ago. Think there was some discrepancy around the gun earlier on, but, it was confirmed. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/17/us...pagewanted=all

Find me evidence (link, report) that a gun ban in another country has resulted in extensive, further means of destruction / killing that surpassed earlier gun violence tolls, and, I'll be more inclined to agree with this statement.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:21 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,565,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post

The other thing that I am advocating is for society as a whole to take some responsibility in these situations and realize that when people started being penalized for disciplining their children the discipline ended. While I'm not a devout religious person, the saying "spare the rod and spoil the child" should at least be ringing some bells in situations like Newtown, Aurora, and Columbine.
Every country has people with mental health issues. Very few countries have the murder rate that America does... especially in the developed world. The level of gun violence in this country is simply unacceptable. When you make it easy for unstable people to obtain guns, you end up with cyclical mass murder tragedies like we do in America. To pretend that it's simply a mental health issue is an attempt at sweeping the real issue of guns under the carpet.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:24 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,185,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
That is not the only issue. There was a poster here calling gun owners psychopaths. It is sad such words get thrown around like this. Mental illness in this country is still a taboo for many people. It is looked down on. "You have depression?! You are crazy!" You don't think that might keep people from seeking help? Therapy is actually not a bad thing. I do think it takes a lot of courage to admit you have a problem and seeking help to address the issue.
You see who the "mental" people are when they post. They even ditch you as a friend. No matter...you lose one, you gain another. Go USA!

http://i9.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/b8/c0/0ae1_1.JPG

Old 12-16-2012, 04:25 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Agreed, it is relevant. We are the source for allowing the insanity to continue.

"The Mexican leader added that solving the cross-border gun trafficking problem was critical to his bid to crack down on the drug-related violence that has killed 4,600 people in the past two years.
Mexico says 90 percent of the weapons used by drug gangs are bought in the United States, often legally. Mexican officials also want to see the U.S. Congress reinstate a ban on the sale of assault weapons that expired in 2004."
First, tell the president to stop sending these weapons down there.. (Fast and Furious). Secondly the president of Mexico knows full well that most of these weapons are manufactured outside of the US and can easily be imported from the manufacturers to the Cartel through "HIS" southern border and would be. Third, shut the border DOWN.. We can do it electronically as well as physically. I live on the border with Mexico and I will guarantee you that if there is a ban on these weapons, they will still come up through Mexico and be smuggled in across our southern border... GUARANTEED!!! Additionally, take a realistic approach rather than an all or nothing approach and you may get a workable plan.. I will tell you this though.. Even IF you get you BAN on "assault weapons" (which by definition is laughable), it is not going to stop this kind of thing from happening. Then what? Will you Ban all firearms? And when they switch to bomb making and kill even more violently and in larger numbers will you ban Diesel and Fertilizer? Where does it end? Fact is, it doesn't!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies