Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2012, 05:41 AM

29,464 posts, read 14,639,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
I tried very hard, but I can't think of any reason why a law abiding citizen would want to own an assault weapon. If your true motive for owning a gun is to protect yourself, why isn't a normal gun good enough? What's next, your own miniature nuclear bomb under the guise of "Second Amendment rights"? Where does it stop?

Can you tell me exactly what an assault weapon is ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Then explain why countries with strict gun control laws have such lower murder rates than the US?
Just because there aren't any guns don't think it's all rainbows and unicorns...

The most violent country in Europe: Britain is also worse than South Africa and U.S. | Mail Online

Old 12-20-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Times change my friend, and we need to change also .
I grew up in a small town, and worked on a farm as a teenager.
We knew how to use a rifle , and never once dis-respected it's ability.
It is a whold different world we live in now, and sadly when change is necessary, we are not so willing to accept it.
I remember as a teen,sometimes after school, I would walk from my house to the woods where we would hunt rabbits.
I would have my rifle in my hand, while walking on the side of the road.
Back then, no one took notice.
Today, one call from a cell phone would have the cops on your a$$ quicker than you could say it.
Friend, the times they are a changing, and we will have to change with them.
I felt a lot differently about guns back then, and in today's world, I really think they should be done away with
Bob..
If you really believe the police are going to get to you in time to save you or your families life , you are sadly mistaken.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:05 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
^^^^@ the Queen: 1.2 million kids were killed by people too irresponsible to use BC....doesn't THAT upset you? or just the ONE anecdotal death you spent hours searching out?

Oh GEESH! Okay...that 8 year old was in the care of a POLICE Chief(former)

And it was a HIGHLY regulated fully automatic weapon that MOST of us cannot purchase! Talk about a stretch!

FWIW everyone involve was irresponsible IMHO

...Mostly the father.

This just goes to show that the POLICE are more prone to accidents than the average gun owner...and facts back that up!
Uh, that's the point. Aside from your silly dismissal of all trained professionals in law enforcement, I was pointing out that bad things happen at gun shows, which a previous poster had insisted doesn't happen.

Keep trying.

Oh, and if you're bringing in the abortion issue ... that's a non-existent stat except in the minds of religious fanatics who ignore science in order to attack women. So it's irrelevant to this debate.

Keep trying.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:08 AM

19,021 posts, read 14,198,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Quote:
I tried very hard, but I can't think of any reason why a law abiding citizen would want to own an assault weapon. If your true motive for owning a gun is to protect yourself, why isn't a normal gun good enough? What's next, your own miniature nuclear bomb under the guise of "Second Amendment rights"? Where does it stop?

Can you tell me exactly what an assault weapon is ?
Assault rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The US Army defines assault rifles as "short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachinegun and rifle cartridges.
To those who fear guns, in general, an assault rifle "looks scary". But it's just a "normal gun" configured for a specific situation (not long distance, not as compact as a pistol, etc, etc).
And a law abiding armed citizen (or non-citizen) wouldn't be a risk, by definition, for owning an assault rifle, etc, etc. However, to the predator, thug, bully or scoundrel, an armed populace SCARES them.
And if crime rate would drop due to universal arming of the populace, how would government excuse their pleas for more taxes for "police protection" - which is no guarantee of security.

There are many reasons to own and carry an assault weapon (or any weapon) - depending on one's situation.
And the fallacy that gun ownership equates to the right to own a nuclear bomb fails.
If you're under attack by a lynch mob, detonating a nuke is not going to "secure your right to life".
{However, if you ever find yourself under attack by an alien invasion fleet bent on world conquest, you might feel the need.}

Bottom line - you are ultimately responsible for your own self defense. You can't expect the government to protect you. You can't sue them for failure to protect. And if you prefer to be disarmed, no one will stop you. However, if you do not wish to be a victim of those who are stronger, more violent, ruthless, and predatory, having weaponry is advisable (masters of unarmed combat excepted). As to noise suppressors, bayonets, bipods, automatic fire, barrel length, calibre, magazine size, appearance, and styling, that should be up to the owner, not the servant government, to decide.

As to something that "looks" scary, is compact, and would (allegedly) outperform the "assault rifle" in close combat situations - - -
Berkas:Magpul personal defense rifle line art.jpg - Wikipedia bahasa Indonesia, ensiklopedia bebas

Old 12-20-2012, 06:24 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Per capita, Britain has more violent crime than the USA. More than quadruple!

Wonder why?

Robberies and burglaries are more per capita in Britain, than in the USA.

The U.S. has a violence rate of 466 crimes per 100,000 residents, Canada 935, Australia 92 and South Africa 1,609.
Britain with no self protection rights.... 2034

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...frica-U-S.html

Old 12-20-2012, 07:44 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Per capita, Britain has more violent crime than the USA. More than quadruple!

Wonder why?

Robberies and burglaries are more per capita in Britain, than in the USA.

The U.S. has a violence rate of 466 crimes per 100,000 residents, Canada 935, Australia 92 and South Africa 1,609.
Britain with no self protection rights.... 2034

The most violent country in Europe: Britain is also worse than South Africa and U.S. | Mail Online
Putting aside all the numbers you have posted, and lets assume even the 466 crimes in the US., what could we do to reduce our murder rate? ( which you did not address at all ) If you think our numbers are related to gun alliance then where are the stories about all the " invasions" ? Seems to me it would be a big deal if a homeowner whipped out his Bushmaster and started to blast away at the intruder. Seldom hear of anything along those lines and of which, would be great news story.
Further, we all know why gun control is back in the news, its the horrible ( most people think this is so ),event in CT. Interesting thought, I wonder how this Kids Mother would have defended herself when She was sleeping when her son pulled the trigger ? Do we blame her for not having all her guns locked in a safe ?

Old 12-20-2012, 09:31 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,481,187 times
Quote:
Aids,Abortion, no connection to left thinking
SERIOUSLY? Okay....when you want to get real, we'll talk!

...You can cut these items right down Party lines! Geesh!

Old 12-20-2012, 10:02 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Default Home defense weapons

I was going to list my preferred defensive weapons but decided not to bother other than to say they are not assault weaopons but might be very offensive to some.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:17 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
No, but a an 8-year-old boy was ripped to shreds at a Massachusetts gun show while he was firing an Uzi ... under adult supervision.

Merely collateral damage in the name of your rights to play with machines of death, of course.

*******s usually prefer these types of stories below would end with the Victim (expecially the young children) being raped, murdered, kidnapped or otherwise. I've got a few stories for you queen where the little kids win, and the bad guys lose. I know these aren't your kinda stories, but just thought I'd bring a little balance to your lopsided world.

Oklahoma-Girl, 12, Shoots intruder during home burglary.
A 12-year-old girl took matters into her own hands during a home invasion in southeast Oklahoma.
It happened on Wednesday when the girl was home alone. She told police a stranger rang the doorbell, then went around to the back door and kicked it in. She called her mom, Debra St. Clair, who told her to get the family gun, hide in a closet and call 911.
That was when St. Clair dropped what she was doing and raced home.
"I drove home at a really fast pace to try to get to her, and when I got here the police were already here. And they had the suspect," she said.
During that time, the intruder made his way through the house. St. Clair's daughter told deputies the man came into the room where she was hiding and began to open up the closet door. That was when the 12 year old had to make a life-saving decision.
"And what we understand right now, he was turning the doorknob when she fired through the door," said the Bryan County Undersheriff Ken Golden.
The bullet hit the intruder, who deputies identified as 32-year-old Stacey Jones. He took off but did not get far before officers took him down.

HOUSTON – The teenage son of a Harris County Precinct 1 deputy shot a home intruder Tuesday afternoon in the 2600 block of Royal Place in northwest Harris County, deputies said.

The 15-year-old boy and his 12-year-old sister had been home alone in the Mount Royal Village subdivision when around 2:30 p.m. a pair of burglars tried the front and back doors, then broke a back window.

The teenager grabbed his father's assault rifle (AR-15) and knew what to do with it.

“We don't try to hide things from our children in law enforcement,” Lt. Jeffrey Stauber said. “That young boy was protecting his sister. He was in fear for his life and her life.”

A young mother in Oklahoma was home alone with her baby when she shot and killed an intruder. Sarah McKinley was on the phone with the 911 operator telling her that the man is trying to get into the house. She says to the operator, “I have two guns in my hands, if he gets in should I shoot him?” The 911 operator responds “I can’t tell you that you can do that but you do what you have to do to protect your baby.” That’s just what this young mother did; she shot and killed the man as he made his way into the house. She was on the phone with 911 for 21 minutes before she fired.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies