Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 07:40 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Obama has been nothing but neutral on the gun issue throughout his presidency, even now. I think he is talking about common sense measures. He is not just addressing the guns but mental illness as well.

These gun nuts should not hate Obama they way they do but you know there is the color thing they just can't get past even if he has been very tolerant of their crazy gun ways.
Isn't it kind of hard to get around thinking everyone who disagrees with Obama "has to be a racist" chip on your shoulder? I'd bet it gets real,real heavy at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 08:51 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I'll tell you what I remember. I remember 9/11 and how we all were angry and in sadness and how in a emotional state we allowed certain new laws and responses set in motion without thinking out the long term on them and how in some ways they actually made things worse.

Certain Democrats have already voiced that they plan to introduce new laws in the wake of this shooting, not even two days later. Now who is using this tragedy to their advantage?
Shame I could only rep you once for this.

I remember that after 9/11 all the right-wing authoritarians came out of the woodwork to start passing laws that violated civil liberties that they wanted for a long, long time.

In the wake of a tragedy, they manipulated the people into accepting things like the PATRIOT ACT and the Department of Homeland Security.

Liberals have often pointed out that sleazy Neoconservatives wanted these laws since the 1980s and eagerly exploited a rare terrorist attack that in the grand scheme of things was relatively rare considering all the other ways you can die prematurely to pass those odious laws when the American people were scared and suggestible and they would have most likely rejected them at any other time. And they are right.

However, they are engaging in the exact same behavior as the Neocons before them and I think a lot of them know it. That is why they are pushing for something to be done as soon as possible. I said in an earlier thread that when I turned on CNN in the morning I thought it was just a discussion on gun control for several minutes before I actually read what was on the screen. The gun control advocates were immediately out in full force complaining about the "gun show loophole" and the Assault Weapon Ban expiring and lack of background checks before the killer was even (mis)identified (twice). Never mind the fact that Adam Lanza was too young to legally purchase a gun in New Jersey, never mind that both state where he lived and the state which carried out the massacre are have among America's toughest gun laws, never mind that he actually murdered the lawful owner to get the guns, and never mind that we still don't know all the facts.

Actually, it's better for us to ignore the facts. If we actually look at the facts we can see how gun control failed on several levels. We need to act now before we actually reflect on the long-term consequences of any laws that pass. We need drag mourning parents in front of the camera so we can use their pain to manipulate people in a manner that would make Nancy Grace proud. We need to personally blame the NRA and gun owners (all 50,000,000 of them) for this tragedy without once reflecting on the fact that Adam Lanza was never a legal gun owner. If we wait too long the grief and shock will fade and we will be able to look at these case relatively rationally and see that many of the solutions being suggested are long standing proposals by political opportunists capitalizing on a horrific and rare event to pass laws they otherwise would never get passed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Where in Obama's address to the CT community did he say he was planning to ban guns?

Again, at least wait until those young school children are laid to rest before you start complaining that this incident might threaten your gun/guns! Imagine how this crying of gun lovers must sound to the parents who lost their young child!
Cute.

Within minutes of this story breaking every gun control advocate came out of the woodwork to blame gun owners and the NRA. I learned more about what the reporters on CNN thought about gun rights more than I learned about the actual shooting in two hours. The fat British newscaster on CNN was ranting about guns the entire time in such a completely subjective manner that even the talking heads on FOX News must have gone, "Woah, way to inject opinion on a story there."

If this happened and gun owners immediately went on the defensive then you would be right. That would be insensitive and sleazy, but when your side turns reporting on a massacre into "Here's what I think should be done and f--k the NRA" soapbox time within MINUTES of the breaking news then you have no right to talk about politicizing a tragedy or start squealing about sensitivity. You just want your side to have all the say.

Oh, and save me your crocodile tears. I've seen you joke about recent terrorist attacks in Israel where children have been killed in other threads. I've seen you get excited about civilian deaths before, so you are not swaying me with your "think of the grieving parents" spiel because you only feel empathy when it can be used for some political purpose.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:28 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,366,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxBlueMan View Post
Watching Obama speak at the memorial service, right now.

It is clear. This has finally been the tipping point.

Better stock up rednecks, because we're coming for the guns.

i'll tell ya what, I want you to be the window-licker coming for mine.
deal ?

Old 12-17-2012, 10:33 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Obama should focus on people with mental problems rather than our freedoms.
You need to direct your concernt towards the GOP Congress, because only they can come up with any freedom restricting law. Presidents cannot create laws.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:47 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:

As if trampling on people's rights is something Obama, or Democrats in general, are normally opposed to. Democrats have made gun control a political agenda for decades, and they never miss an opportunity to push their anti-constitutional rights agenda.

So you approve of Obama using this tragedy for political gain?

Old 12-17-2012, 10:49 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You need to direct your concernt towards the GOP Congress, because only they can come up with any freedom restricting law. Presidents cannot create laws.
Nope, they can just ignore laws, rewrite laws, give out waivers for laws, tell their administrative agencies to create new laws, or presidents like Obama can simply violate their oath of office and refuse to enforce laws.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:50 AM

67 posts, read 126,360 times
Quote:

**** Obama! He's a hypocrite! I dont see him shedding tears for the children he's been killing.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:13 AM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
No one needs an assault weapon - or any weapon - until under assault.
Then one needs as much firepower as one can muster.

As to those who fear weapons because they look scary, would they prefer them to look tame?

And if you think disarming the law abiding people will stop the thugs, bullies and brutes, well, it won't... unless you're the one controlling the thugs, bullies and brutes and don't want the prey to shoot back.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:14 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
It was a disgusting politicization of an event that has brought so much grief into the lives of the people of this community. What business did the President have in going there?

He used this event and these people to make a new pitch for "gun control." But the fact of the matter is that events such as this only take place where there are no guns that may be used against the perpetrator.

Had there been someone in the building with a gun, who knew how to use it, many lives may would have been saved. But with no weapons available for defense (and this young man knew it), he was free to kill at will.

Do we need any more evidence that removing guns from the hands of law abiding citizens leaves them defenseless against a criminal with intent to kill?
The entire tragedy has been turned into a circus by the care-less propaganda machine. I wish someone would explain to me why the detailing of how many bullets fired (into these children's bodies) can be considered anything but morbid.

It's one thing to publicly mourn their deaths, and quite another to exploit this event, which is what the morons of media (and liberal politicians/activists) are doing.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:17 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
No one needs an assault weapon - or any weapon - until under assault.
Then one needs as much firepower as one can muster.

As to those who fear weapons because they look scary, would they prefer them to look tame?

And if you think disarming the law abiding people will stop the thugs, bullies and brutes, well, it won't... unless you're the one controlling the thugs, bullies and brutes and don't want the prey to shoot back.
I'm about to buy a pink glock for my wife. Maybe the anti-gun nazi's will think it more tame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies