Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 08:58 PM

11,147 posts, read 10,720,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
I've never heard a gun control advocate claim that. In fact, the "all or nothing" attitude is prevalent among those calling for no regulations or restrictions on firearms. They keep claiming that since laws won't prevent all such shootings, we shouldn't bother to make such laws.
You actually posted that immediately following a post from someone wanting to get rid of all guns....

well played, well played.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 09:09 PM

415 posts, read 616,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
The non-firearm homicide rate in this country is something like 1.2. That's comparable to the UK, Japan, and all those exceptionally low-crime first world nations we should be competing with. So what's the problem?

Firearm homicide rate (US): 2.98

It isn't empirical evidence of what could be, but it is compelling evidence.
How about we look at the violence rather than the homicides? The UK is far more violent crime-wise (google is your friend) than the US is. There is a lot more theft, muggings, car jackings, break-ins, rape, assault, battery, etc in the UK than there is here.

The UK is NOT an exceptionally low-crime nation. Its crime rate is one of the worst among developed nations.

Switzerland is also a great example. Armed to the teeth and very low crime there.

I personally would not want to live in this country anymore if guns are outlawed. I'd imagine the brazen robbing and breaking in would increase, plus the rape rate, since women won't be armed anymore. Oh yes, lets put a salve on the mass shootings by banning guns so that more women and children can be raped, and more people can experience the violation of being robbed at gunpoint in their own home or business.

When I lived in Vegas as a kid the gangs knew full well which tourists would be fun to beat up, rob, rape, mug, assault, beat up and potentially leave to rot in the desert. The most fun were the people from Illinois and the people from California. Guaranteed to be unarmed, thank the liberal nuts for their gun laws. Lots of free fun with the Birkenstock wearing hippie from Frisco who doesn't know they are in the dangerous part of Vegas. Least fun? Texans...Arizonans, Utahns, fellow Nevadans. The gangers never knew if they were armed or not, so anyone talking like a Texan and dressed stereotypically Texan who has Texas plates on their car was always left alone. Don't want to deal with Tex's gun.

An awful lot of the stranded tourists my parents Baptist church took care of were from California and Illinois, victims of their home state's stupidity, robbed at gunpoint, left with no money, the women raped, beat up with shiners, starving, their kids wailing and crying because they saw mommy get raped and daddy get beat up.

That's what gun control gets you. Gangers and criminals who KNOW you aren't armed. At that point you are fair game.

Mass shootings are horrible, but outlawing guns or making it really hard to obtain them is NOT going to solve this country's problems. The criminals always have guns, they always will have them, and if we outlaw them they will know that everyone who is law abiding is a sitting duck.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:13 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,024,433 times
They already do use something else. In '09 352 were killed with rifles. Meanwhile 1836 were killed with knives or other sharp instruments, 623 killed with blunt objects. Yet Feinstein is putting up a bill to ban rifles.

http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s0310.pdf

Old 12-16-2012, 09:14 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,234,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
They already do use something else. In '09 352 were killed with rifles. Meanwhile 1836 were killed with knives or other sharp instruments, 623 killed with blunt objects. Yet Feinstein is putting up a bill to ban rifles.

A rifle is only a subset of guns though. What I want to know is how many people escaped from knife or blunt weapons attacks to how many people escaped from a gun...

Old 12-16-2012, 09:21 PM

Tell that to Feinsein then.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:34 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,425,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post
How about we look at the violence rather than the homicides? The UK is far more violent crime-wise (google is your friend) than the US is. There is a lot more theft, muggings, car jackings, break-ins, rape, assault, battery, etc in the UK than there is here.

The UK is NOT an exceptionally low-crime nation. Its crime rate is one of the worst among developed nations.

Switzerland is also a great example. Armed to the teeth and very low crime there.

I personally would not want to live in this country anymore if guns are outlawed. I'd imagine the brazen robbing and breaking in would increase, plus the rape rate, since women won't be armed anymore. Oh yes, lets put a salve on the mass shootings by banning guns so that more women and children can be raped, and more people can experience the violation of being robbed at gunpoint in their own home or business.

When I lived in Vegas as a kid the gangs knew full well which tourists would be fun to beat up, rob, rape, mug, assault, beat up and potentially leave to rot in the desert. The most fun were the people from Illinois and the people from California. Guaranteed to be unarmed, thank the liberal nuts for their gun laws. Lots of free fun with the Birkenstock wearing hippie from Frisco who doesn't know they are in the dangerous part of Vegas. Least fun? Texans...Arizonans, Utahns, fellow Nevadans. The gangers never knew if they were armed or not, so anyone talking like a Texan and dressed stereotypically Texan who has Texas plates on their car was always left alone. Don't want to deal with Tex's gun.

An awful lot of the stranded tourists my parents Baptist church took care of were from California and Illinois, victims of their home state's stupidity, robbed at gunpoint, left with no money, the women raped, beat up with shiners, starving, their kids wailing and crying because they saw mommy get raped and daddy get beat up.

That's what gun control gets you. Gangers and criminals who KNOW you aren't armed. At that point you are fair game.

Mass shootings are horrible, but outlawing guns or making it really hard to obtain them is NOT going to solve this country's problems. The criminals always have guns, they always will have them, and if we outlaw them they will know that everyone who is law abiding is a sitting duck.
This has been explained before. The UK list pretty much anything as violent crime, including crimes that do NOT involve injury. The U.S. does not list this as violent crime. Harassment and other sexual misconduct falls under violent crime in the UK; only forceable rape falls in the category in the US. What's even funnier? If four blokes at a bar get into a scuffle, it's listed as FOUR violent crimes. They seperate them over there. In the U.S., there might not even be an arrest. They obviously have different criterias, so don't even kid yourself that the UK suffers from more crime.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:39 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,548,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i feel as strongly as u do about the school and school police allowing someone on campus with a gun to murder all those little children. all that shooting with zero intervention by armed security. the police are those charged with carrying weapons should have protected those children and did not. we have a lack of proper use of firearms in this case. they did not use them for the purpose for which they were issued, to protect children.
having said that
37% of homocides are done with non gun weapons.
please can we please put this argument to rest? please note a man attacked 25 kindergarden children in china same day with a knife. how can some of you post that firearms are the sole source of evil in the world?
How many children are dead as a result of the knife attack in China?

Old 12-16-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
How many children are dead as a result of the knife attack in China?
1836 are dead in the US from knife attacks. I don't care about China.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:52 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,548,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
1836 are dead in the US from knife attacks. I don't care about China.
Well, I keep hearing a lot from the gun enthusiasts about this knife attack in China. Took place on the same day as the school shooting in CT.

My question was ~ how many children died that day as a result of the knife attack?

Answer ~ None.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:02 PM

So you only care about knife attacks in China. Check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies