Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 07:26 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post

Fanapt Side Affects:
DoubleCheckMD Side Effects -

Psychiatric side effects including restlessness, aggression, and delusion have been reported frequently. Hostility, decreased libido, paranoia, anorgasmia, confusional state, mania, catatonia, mood swings, panic attack, obsessive-compulsive disorder, bulimia nervosa, delirium, polydipsia psychogenic, impulse-control disorder, and major depression have been reported infrequently.
Ironically, you can have those things from just being schizophrenic. In fact, some of those symptoms are the hallmark of being schizophrenic.

I agree we're an overdrugged nation. But how would you suggest we treat schizophrenics? There are many who do very well on their medications. We don't hear from those people or about those people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 07:30 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
That's a very good point, but the doctor did point out that the gun violence seems to have increased in direct correlation to the amount that these drugs are used - the mass murders were extremely rare beforehand. That wouldn't be true if the illness was causing the violence because the illness of depression has been around forever..
That's called correlation. Not causation.
The amount of high fructose corn syrup used in food has also gone up during the same time period.
The amount of personal electronic device use has also gone up during the same time period.
The amount of credit card debt has also gone up during the same time period.

That does not mean that they are responsible for mass murder shooting deaths.

I feel, however, there is something causing more people to be mentally unstable...something environmental...they've thought as much about the obesity, etc, that seems to have skyrocketed in such a short time...and in treating more mentally ill people, we are using more medication.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Default Interesting discussion

I believe this thread is concentrating on the core of the problem which is the mentally unstable perpetrators instead of the weapons used to create the tragedy.

I would add the introduction of very violent computer based games that possible could lead some people to look on violence as the ultimate, in the cases of suicides, actually the ultimate, solution to their problems.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:21 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,992 times
Ask yourselves why individuals take these meds in the first place. That is likely the link to such violent episodes.

You can't always just pop a pill to solve the illness.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:51 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I believe this thread is concentrating on the core of the problem which is the mentally unstable perpetrators instead of the weapons used to create the tragedy.

I would add the introduction of very violent computer based games that possible could lead some people to look on violence as the ultimate, in the cases of suicides, actually the ultimate, solution to their problems.
The technology world could be doing things to certain folks minds that we have no idea about yet. The study of the brain is still in it's infancy. This is the first generation to grow up on the puter and smartphone etc. Could be but there is really know way of knowing at this time.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
What you will see is a well put together list of violent acts in the last 20 years that are school related that will open your eyes. It will show that the problem is Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors or otherwise known as SSRI's that have been prescribed to these individuals. What is amazing is in the 20 years prior to the year 2000, events like we are seeing recently are practically non existent.

Look at this list of the 66 incidents.
Index to SSRI Stories

I want you to listen to Moira Dolan, MD who explains how the SSRI class of antidepressants are causing mass murders and school shootings. She talks about how in the past 20 years mass shootings have increased at the same time SSRI's have been used--in spite of the fact that stricter guns laws have been enforced during that same time period. 10 minutes:

Can Antidepressants Cause Violence? - YouTube

Here is the list of SSRI drugs:
Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I like to hear these theories from more than one person, but it does sound like there could be something to what she is saying. Let's see if we hear any other doctors or anyone else from the science field discuss the posibility...??

Old 12-17-2012, 10:59 AM

382 posts, read 721,970 times
I have to watch the video later, but the issue of serotonin reuptake reminds me of a National Geographic documentary I just watched on the so-called "warrior gene" (www.youtube.com/watch?v=35cOqZI067E). It seems that scientists discovered a mutation which prevents the rapid re-absorption of serotonin. The effects of this condition are that the "high" felt under serotonin's influence can become a violent rage. Men with this "warrior gene" are not always violent, however, but the mutation, combined with abusive childhoods, often leads to much higher percentage of violent incidents. I'll have to consider the merits of this doctor's argument, but clearly serotonin has a powerful influence on mental health and behavior, and there might be unexpected consequences in adjusting its levels.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:13 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Many SSRIs supposedly have, as a possible side effect in some, increased tendencies toward violent and suicidal emotions.
Not discounting this at all. I read something that other day was equally as alarming.
I wonder how many people realize that aspartame has many of the same side-effects and it doesn't have to be prescribed.

Alternative Mental Health

Old 12-17-2012, 03:17 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
I think there is some validity to this theory, and I suspected AD drugs as being somewhat involved in Columbine when the evidence came out 13 years ago. I think they help some people, but they may also make a person become psychotic who stops taking them (isn't that one of the listed symptoms?), thus turning a depressed possibly suicidal kid into a psycho suicidal weapon.

Now you have millions of people on this crap and how do you ween them off? Very scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies