Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 12:30 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Most people have simple gun safes. do you think its constitutional to charge someone for having their safe or guns stolen and then used in a crime.

what if they used a stolen bat to kill someone?
What if they stole your cooking knife and kill someone?
If you check your safe daily, you will know when they are gone, and can report them stolen.

And statistics prove you wrong on "most people have gun safes"

C. Stennies Study
Here are the results of a recently published study of gun storage practices in all 50 states. Gail Stennies and colleagues conducted a random telephone survey of English and Spanish-speaking households from the fifty states and Washington, D.C.xx The data gathered were weighted to better represent the national population.xxi Although 9,342 individuals were contacted, 3,630 refused to participate.xxii The researchers completed a total of 5,238 interviews concerning gun ownership and storage practices.xxiii Firearm storage practices were grouped in one of three categories: (a) all guns kept unloaded and locked; (b) at least one gun kept loaded and unlocked; or (c) any intermediate answer falling between categories (a) and (b).xxiv If storage practices fell in category (c), further questions were administered to determine ammunition storage.xxv If storage practices were in category (a) or (b), no questions regarding ammunition storage were administered.xxvi Key findings:
33.2 percent of households (1,635) kept a gun in the home.xxvii
■ Among the 1,598 households whose storage practices could be classified, 30 percent reported storing guns locked and unloaded, 48.5 percent reported intermediate storage practices, and 21.5 percent reported storing at least one gun loaded and unlocked.xxviii
■ An estimated 6.8 million American households contain at least one loaded, unlocked firearm.xxix
■ Households with children reported better gun storage practices (41.5 percent stored guns unloaded and locked) than households with no children (20.9 percent stored guns unloaded and locked).xxx
■ 41.5 percent of households with children reported storing all guns unloaded and locked.xxxi
■ 11.1 percent of households with children reported storing at least one gun loaded and unlocked.xxxii
■ An estimated 1.6 million U.S. households with children store at least one firearm loaded and unlocked.xxxiii http://www.saf.org/journal/14/Lock,StockandBarrel.pdf

That is a lot of unsecured guns. Those guns can, and do, end up in the hands of criminals.

Quote:
The report by the Americans for Gun Safety Foundation says nearly 1.7 million firearms were reported to police as stolen from January 1993 through August 2002. The number of guns stolen per year has declined, from 221,322 reported in 1993 to 138,035 in 2001, the report says.
The study says the decline in gun thefts coincides with a simultaneous drop in crime in the USA and an increase in use of gun locks and storage devices.
The group, which advocates stronger gun-storage laws, relied on numbers collected by the FBI. The numbers show that nearly 688,000 stolen firearms were recovered during the 10-year period, leaving more than 1 million missing and most likely fueling the black market for criminals.
USATODAY.com - States with high crime see more guns stolen

If you are responsible enough to own a gun, you should be responsible enough to keep it out of the hands of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 12:31 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
NAZI Germany was a big proponent of firearm registration and gun control in 1934, then three years later in 1937 came a full ban. The Australian Parliament took a page straight out of 1930s NAZI Germany. First Australia required registration of firearms, then a few years later, they banned most firearms.

So the next time some idiot, who is completely ignorant of history, proposes firearm registration, you can laugh in their face and explain why it will never happen.
Allow me to enlighten someone who is"completely ignorant of history" Hitler was the most popular man in Germany and he did not fear his own people nor did he confiscate any firearms.The fact is,he GAVE them firearms,tanks,flamethrowers,grenades,etc. and some snappy looking uniforms too. Good grief man,where do you folks come up with this nonsense?

Old 12-17-2012, 12:34 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
If you check your safe daily, you will know when they are gone, and can report them stolen.

And statistics prove you wrong on "most people have gun safes"

C. Stennies Study
Here are the results of a recently published study of gun storage practices in all 50 states. Gail Stennies and colleagues conducted a random telephone survey of English and Spanish-speaking households from the fifty states and Washington, D.C.xx The data gathered were weighted to better represent the national population.xxi Although 9,342 individuals were contacted, 3,630 refused to participate.xxii The researchers completed a total of 5,238 interviews concerning gun ownership and storage practices.xxiii Firearm storage practices were grouped in one of three categories: (a) all guns kept unloaded and locked; (b) at least one gun kept loaded and unlocked; or (c) any intermediate answer falling between categories (a) and (b).xxiv If storage practices fell in category (c), further questions were administered to determine ammunition storage.xxv If storage practices were in category (a) or (b), no questions regarding ammunition storage were administered.xxvi Key findings:
33.2 percent of households (1,635) kept a gun in the home.xxvii
■ Among the 1,598 households whose storage practices could be classified, 30 percent reported storing guns locked and unloaded, 48.5 percent reported intermediate storage practices, and 21.5 percent reported storing at least one gun loaded and unlocked.xxviii
■ An estimated 6.8 million American households contain at least one loaded, unlocked firearm.xxix
■ Households with children reported better gun storage practices (41.5 percent stored guns unloaded and locked) than households with no children (20.9 percent stored guns unloaded and locked).xxx
■ 41.5 percent of households with children reported storing all guns unloaded and locked.xxxi
■ 11.1 percent of households with children reported storing at least one gun loaded and unlocked.xxxii
■ An estimated 1.6 million U.S. households with children store at least one firearm loaded and unlocked.xxxiii http://www.saf.org/journal/14/Lock,StockandBarrel.pdf

That is a lot of unsecured guns. Those guns can, and do, end up in the hands of criminals.

Quote:
The report by the Americans for Gun Safety Foundation says nearly 1.7 million firearms were reported to police as stolen from January 1993 through August 2002. The number of guns stolen per year has declined, from 221,322 reported in 1993 to 138,035 in 2001, the report says.
The study says the decline in gun thefts coincides with a simultaneous drop in crime in the USA and an increase in use of gun locks and storage devices.
The group, which advocates stronger gun-storage laws, relied on numbers collected by the FBI. The numbers show that nearly 688,000 stolen firearms were recovered during the 10-year period, leaving more than 1 million missing and most likely fueling the black market for criminals.
USATODAY.com - States with high crime see more guns stolen

If you are responsible enough to own a gun, you should be responsible enough to keep it out of the hands of others.
So you want to again make it illegal to not check your safe and make it illegal to not store a gun in a safe. SO back to this circle how do you enforce this law?

Old 12-17-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
So you want to again make it illegal to not check your safe and make it illegal to not store a gun in a safe. SO back to this circle how do you enforce this law?
No, AGAIN, I want any owner whose gun is used in a crime, and has not reported that gun stolen, to be charged with at very least criminal negligence. If it requires me checking my safe daily to make sure I know where my guns are at all times, so be it.

If you don't want to check your safe, and your gun is stolen, and your gun is used in a crime. That is your fault for not knowing it was missing, and reporting it stolen. You should be charged with at least criminal negligence, or if someone is killed negligent homicide. If the criminal didn't have YOUR gun, that a RESPONSIBLE gun owner should have secured, the crime might not have happened.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
No, AGAIN, I want any owner whose gun is used in a crime, and has not reported that gun stolen, to be charged with at very least criminal negligence. If it requires me checking my safe daily to make sure I know where my guns are at all times, so be it.

If you don't want to check your safe, and your gun is stolen, and your gun is used in a crime. That is your fault for not knowing it was missing, and reporting it stolen. You should be charged with at least criminal negligence, or if someone is killed negligent homicide. If the criminal didn't have YOUR gun, that a RESPONSIBLE gun owner should have secured, the crime might not have happened.
Once again what if you are out of town and do not know it is stolen. what if you are at work when it is stolen and used in a crime. You then must say i have to prove myself innocent.But that is not how are system works.
How about cross bows, i hunt dear with them what if that gets stolen and used to kill someone .Blaming the gun owner is not the way to go it is unconstitutional . If my gun safe was locked when i went to bed and still locked when i wake up why would it be illegal if i did not open and check it. If my gun safe is stolen when I'm not home I certainly would report a break in when i did get home.If there was 2 or 3 days till i got home and my gun was used in a murder your saying i should be charged with a felony?
Unconstitutional

Old 12-17-2012, 01:01 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:

If more gun owners were as reasonable as you, we'd have far fewer problems.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Once again what if you are out of town and do not know it is stolen. what if you are at work when it is stolen and used in a crime. You then must say i have to prove myself innocent.But that is not how are system works.
How about cross bows, i hunt dear with them what if that gets stolen and used to kill someone .Blaming the gun owner is not the way to go it is unconstitutional . If my gun safe was locked when i went to bed and still locked when i wake up why would it be illegal if i did not open and check it. If my gun safe is stolen when I'm not home I certainly would report a break in when i did get home.If there was 2 or 3 days till i got home and my gun was used in a murder your saying i should be charged with a felony?
Unconstitutional
Once AGAIN, you report it when you get home. If you are at work, you can show you were at work. Just like when my car was stolen, and crashed. The police asked me where I was, I said at work, they checked with my boss. No big deal, because I didn't make it a big deal, I just wanted whoever took my car to be caught. Answering questions that are asked, and possibly showing a receipt are no imposition.
You are being completely ridiculous. But go on, and allow others to make the laws, instead of coming up with something that could possibly help the situation, and allow you to keep all your guns.

Have fun with that, I'm off to the grocery store.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
If more gun owners were as reasonable as you, we'd have far fewer problems.
I, personally think that gun ownership is a right that comes with responsibilities. One of those being securing my guns, and keeping them away from criminals.

I guess other gun owners don't feel that they have any responsibility to keep criminals away from their guns. I am willing to take responsibility for my actions (securing my guns), or lack thereof (leaving them wherever they want).

Old 12-17-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Once AGAIN, you report it when you get home. If you are at work, you can show you were at work. Just like when my car was stolen, and crashed. The police asked me where I was, I said at work, they checked with my boss. No big deal, because I didn't make it a big deal, I just wanted whoever took my car to be caught. Answering questions that are asked, and possibly showing a receipt are no imposition.
You are being completely ridiculous. But go on, and allow others to make the laws, instead of coming up with something that could possibly help the situation, and allow you to keep all your guns.

Have fun with that, I'm off to the grocery store.
If the police ask i would say my house was broken into . I should not be held as a felon because it was.
The issue you have wrong is trying to blame the victim of a theft for negligence in a murder he had nothing to do with. For in the end the stolen gun did not kill someone the shooter did . So charging a victim of theft for a crime he had nothing to do with is unconstitutional at best

Old 12-17-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
If the police ask i would say my house was broken into . I should not be held as a felon because it was.
The issue you have wrong is trying to blame the victim of a theft for negligence in a murder he had nothing to do with. For in the end the stolen gun did not kill someone the shooter did . So charging a victim of theft for a crime he had nothing to do with is unconstitutional at best
You can be charged with negligence if you leave the keys in your car, it is stolen, and is involved in a homicide. The same should be for guns, if you leave it unsecured, it is stolen and used in a crime, you should be found at least negligent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies