U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 04:37 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,655,460 times

Advertisements

I will give Haley praise if she appoints Scott. In 2012 there should be more than 0 blacks in the senate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 06:46 AM

61 posts, read 55,480 times
Maurice Bessenger would be a better choice.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:02 AM

57,029 posts, read 33,520,142 times
If Haley is gonna pick Scott, then it damn well better be because of something other than his race for crying out loud. And why should Scott be the frontrunner anyway? What distinguishes him from any other Souf Cack Repub other than his pigmentation?

I mean, I'm cool with whatever decision she makes because I'm not from her state. It's not my business. I'm just trying to figure out what the case is for Scott since his name keeps popping up as a frontrunner.

I'm just doubting his ability to hold the seat in an election, that's all. This IS the home of Strom Thurmond after all. What will Carolinians say about having a senator in the Black Caucus? That won't go over all that well statewide like it does in a small congressional district.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:17 AM

745 posts, read 1,045,896 times
There is absolutely ZERO chance that Tim Scott is going to be picked. In case you haven't noticed, he's black.

The GOP still remains the party of neo-confederates from the Deep South, and if Haley picks Tim Scott, she will lose re-election to Vincent Sheheen as the GOP base pays her back for daring to pick a "colored" to the Senate. She'll probably likely lose anyway.

But I'm still hoping it's Stephen Colbert.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:23 AM

10,541 posts, read 13,123,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
If Haley is gonna pick Scott, then it damn well better be because of something other than his race for crying out loud. And why should Scott be the frontrunner anyway? What distinguishes him from any other Souf Cack Repub other than his pigmentation?

I mean, I'm cool with whatever decision she makes because I'm not from her state. It's not my business. I'm just trying to figure out what the case is for Scott since his name keeps popping up as a frontrunner.

I'm just doubting his ability to hold the seat in an election, that's all. This IS the home of Strom Thurmond after all. What will Carolinians say about having a senator in the Black Caucus? That won't go over all that well statewide like it does in a small congressional district.
Scott is widely respected and viewed as doing a good job.

As for the Strom Thurmond point, Scott defeated his son to win his current position. Of course, you know that because I told you that in other thread, but you won't let that get in the way of your assertions.

As for your thoughts on a statewide election, the most recent evidence is that a female with an Indian background defeated a male from a well-respected family in the state.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:31 PM

57,029 posts, read 33,520,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Scott is widely respected and viewed as doing a good job.

As for the Strom Thurmond point, Scott defeated his son to win his current position. Of course, you know that because I told you that in other thread, but you won't let that get in the way of your assertions.

As for your thoughts on a statewide election, the most recent evidence is that a female with an Indian background defeated a male from a well-respected family in the state.
I don't care that he defeated his son. We're talking about a Senate seat here. That's a statewide office. Seeing is believing. And until I see it, I ain't believing it. It's STILL South Carolina. I'm sorry, but the state worked very hard to attain its reputation. Who am I to ignore or discard a history that the state is proud of?

Secondly, Indian ain't black. They have no history or tradition in that state. Haley is still caucasian and married to a white man. Moreover, she anglicized her name. Why? That tells me all I need to know.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:01 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,375,025 times
Stephen Colbert is leading.
Why Stephen Colbert Deserves South Carolina

Old 12-17-2012, 09:27 AM

11,010 posts, read 10,537,289 times
Default Rep Tim Scott to replace departing Sen Jim DeMint

Tim Scott is my representative here in Charleston. In my opinion, he's a very good choice and his good work both here in Charleston and in his time in the House will help him to be a very successful Senator for South Carolina. Good pick Gov. Haley!

Quote:
U.S. Rep. Tim Scott, who overcame poverty in North Charleston to build a successful business and political career, will be appointed today by Gov. Nikki Haley to the U.S. Senate seat vacated by Republican Jim DeMint, The New York Times and CNN reported this morning.

Haley has scheduled a noon news conference to announce her pick. DeMint and U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham, a Republican from Seneca, are scheduled to attend.

Scott, 47, would become the first black U.S. senator from the South since Blanche Bruce of Mississippi in 1881.

The Lowcountry Republican would succeed DeMint, who announced on Dec. 6 that he was resigning with four years remaining in his second six-year term to head the Heritage Foundation think tank next month.
Reports: Scott chosen for DeMint's Senate seat - SC Politics Today - TheState.com

Old 12-17-2012, 12:33 PM

11,432 posts, read 18,279,734 times
Default Did Nikki Haley pick an "affirmative action" Senator?

S.C. Gov. Haley appoints Rep. Tim Scott to U.S. Senate | The Ticket - Yahoo! News

The right wing always accuses the Dems of picking or electing thin-resume candidates who happen to belong to a minority group. So what is this? This black man was only elected in 2010 and the Repub party is in very serious need of expanding their chromatic range beyond various shades of white. Jindal recently proclaimed that contraceptives should be purchased over-the-counter without prescription. Are Repubs going to next approve of legal marijuana, gay rights, on-demand abortion?

She herself proclaimed that she "wanted to make history"- the same accusation that the right wingers say when they accuse ppl of voting for Obama as the first African-american POTUS (to make history).

Strom thurmond must be rolling in his grave, on a funnier note.

Last edited by wehotex; 12-17-2012 at 12:44 PM..

Old 12-17-2012, 12:35 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,105,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
S.C. Gov. Haley appoints Rep. Tim Scott to U.S. Senate | The Ticket - Yahoo! News

The right wing always accuses the Dems of picking or electing thin-resume candidates who happen to belong to a minority group. So what is this? This black man was only elected in 2010 and the Repub party is in very serious need of expanding their chromatic range beyond various shades of white. Jindal recently proclaimed that contraceptives should be purchased over-the-counter without prescription. Are Repubs going to next approve of legal marijuana, gay rights, on-demand abortion?

Strom thurmond must be rolling in his grave, on a funnier note.
Silly. You know it's different when Republicans do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies