Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 03:59 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,460,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
My feelings exactly. It's not a black and white issue. The shades of grey is where lives could be saved and I believe some serious changes in gun control could serve that purpose. The intent of the 2nd amendment was to allow citizens to own firearms for protection and survival, not to be able to own weapons that could inflict the most damage in the shortest amount of time.
The purpose of the 2A was to give citizens the ability to fight foreign or domestic tyranny. You don't do that with guns that are woefully out of date.

Further, I don't think people understand the numbers involved. There are about 330 deaths from rifles every year, there are roughly 20,000,000 AR-15's and their variants in circulation. That doesn't include the FN FAL lineup, AK lineup, and other oddball-esque "military-style" sporters like the FAL, SCAR, AUG, etc.

The 2A was never about hunting, or even self-protection. Those are byproducts of the use of the amendment, just like the 1A was thought up to ensure that the government couldn't censure dissent but it also gives you and I the right to criticize each other.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:14 AM

105,720 posts, read 107,700,939 times
thats just it. making a big to do about those firearms that cosmetically look like assualt rifles as far as gun crime goes is like re-arrainging the deck chairs on the titanic.

symbolically it looks like they are doing something but all they are doing is just forcing the bad guy to another style firearm.

even the number of rounds it holds is a moot point. you just tape magazines together no matter what they hold and tacticaly re-load while still shooting any way but what the heck it sounds good to get rid of the hi cap clips.

i believe in gun ownership myself but i believe that it needs to be controlled better on a federal level plugging the loop holes and stopping the local boss hog from issuing permits to those he shouldnt.

there needs to be better investigation as far as family members who may be around those guns when permits are issued.

i know in long island they call a spouse to see if they have any objection to a permit being issued.

they told my friends wife that they thought she was safer with her husband with a gun then she was sitting next to him in the car driving after looking at his driving record.

there are many ways the entire system could be tightened including the tens of thousands of guns that go missing each year right from production.

having a debate about sporting rifles is just plain rediculous. at least discuss the real issues which are criminal control and better closing of these loopholes for straw purchases .

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-20-2012 at 04:22 AM..

Old 12-20-2012, 08:56 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,030,637 times
Post Different opinion....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
The purpose of the 2A was to give citizens the ability to fight foreign or domestic tyranny. You don't do that with guns that are woefully out of date.

Further, I don't think people understand the numbers involved. There are about 330 deaths from rifles every year, there are roughly 20,000,000 AR-15's and their variants in circulation. That doesn't include the FN FAL lineup, AK lineup, and other oddball-esque "military-style" sporters like the FAL, SCAR, AUG, etc.

The 2A was never about hunting, or even self-protection. Those are byproducts of the use of the amendment, just like the 1A was thought up to ensure that the government couldn't censure dissent but it also gives you and I the right to criticize each other.
First I never said anything about hunting. I said protection and survival which could include hunting. Also by your interpretation of the second amendment we should all have access to any weapons we want as it's all citizens responsibility to protect us from tyranny. To me that interpretation sounds outdated as that responsibility has long been transferred to our military and peace officers. Common sense should tell us that you cannot interpret something that was written in the 18th century to the letter. Other wise I'm starting a piggy bank to save for an F-16.

Last edited by ralphfr; 12-20-2012 at 09:57 AM..

Old 12-20-2012, 09:12 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,005,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
Wow they released a statement on Tuesday. Ah man I am so happy it took them so long to say (our hearts and prayers are with the families after such a despicable act) Man i am so happy they did not have to do that and again statement. Press conference on Friday. = open mouth insert foot.
The NRA, like them or not, are a very savvy organization. Your desire for some statement is irrelevant to the national issues. The NRA made a smart choice to keep their mouth shut. Even Obama's first words were emotional and centered around the tragedy, not policy.

As we have all seen, many, if not most of the "facts" we heard in the first 24 to 48 hours were wrong. The mother wasn't a teacher. The body in the house wasn't the father. They identified the wrong shooter. And of course they didn't say the rifle was used until three days later. They still haven't said what models of handguns were used by Lanza.

All public figures would do well to hold their tongue during controversy. Almost nothing bad happens when you keep your mouth shut.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:14 AM

14,295 posts, read 9,631,002 times
Quote:
Has anyone heard a statement form the NRA? Their twitter account has gone silent and they took down their facebook page. I guess they are on vacation until the countries attention turn back to the fiscal cliff then it's back to convincing people that they exist to make sure every American can protect them self.
Why would the NRA comment? The NRA has nothing to do with crazy 20 year old mental cases.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:21 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,720,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
First I never said anything about hunting. I said protection and survival which could include hunting. Also by your interpretation of the second amendment we should all have access to any weapons we want as it's all citizens responsibility to protect us from tyranny. To me that interpretation sounds outdated as that responsibility has long been transferred to our military and peace officers. Common sense should tell us that you cannot interpret something that was written in the 18th century to the letter. Other wise I'm starting a piggy bank to save for an F-16.
My A-10 Warthog is on layaway at the moment. It will destroy your F-16. Wanna battle?

Old 12-20-2012, 10:27 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,030,637 times
Talking Sure. But.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
My A-10 Warthog is on layaway at the moment. It will destroy your F-16. Wanna battle?
At Mach 1.6+ you'll have to catch me first!!!!

Old 12-20-2012, 10:31 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,320,005 times
The NRA is scheduled to make a statement tomorrow (Friday). I, for one, and not planning to listen to whatever propaganda they will be spewing. As someone else mentioned, they are very savvy. Whatever they say will be well crafted and utterly useless toward helping to prevent further incidents.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:31 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,131,087 times
Quote:
Has anyone heard a statement form the NRA? Their twitter account has gone silent and they took down their facebook page. I guess they are on vacation until the countries attention turn back to the fiscal cliff then it's back to convincing people that they exist to make sure every American can protect them self.
They're probably the only sane outlet here waiting until the fear and paranoia, screaming and demanding, heated emotions die down.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:26 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,184,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i didnt know that consumer version of the bushmaster was an automatic weapon like the ak47 . glad i came to this thread so i could learn from the well informed here.

hate to tell you automatic weapons have been banned from public ownership without a special federal permit since 1934 and the bushmaster is not like an ak47 at all.. im not sure why your even mentioning automatic weapons.

an ak47 can spray at the rate of 600 rounds a minute or 10 rounds every second . an m16 at 800 rounds a minute . any gun like that bushmaster used where you squeeze the trigger to shoot isnt in the same breath as a fully auto weapon..

while some can be converted to full auto if you know how the fact is few are and the federal penaly for doing so is quite severe so its rare you hear of crimes with fully auto weapons here..

with all the gun crimes in america the less than 1% that involve semi auto rifles and even less the assualt rifle calibers is like peeing in the ocean. while making a big stink about them the realty is they are a tiny tiny part of the gun violence problems we have.

singling them out my be symbolic but its far from making even the tiniest dent in the issue. banning the .223 caliber or the ak47 style .762 x .39 round still leaves 99.9% of the gun crime intact.

you can not hunt turkeys in ny with a .22 either just for the record.
You're right. It's semi-automatic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies