Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 01:09 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Could have told you that when we elected Bush twice in a row, and yes I admit I voted for him also.
As long as we're confessing things here.... I voted for Obama!!!

I also admit that I was much less informed back then. I was your typical low information voter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 01:36 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
As long as we're confessing things here.... I voted for Obama!!!

I also admit that I was much less informed back then. I was your typical low information voter.
I do take some blame there also, but here is the problem, the GOP and DNC neither seem to be able to trot out some viable good quality candidates, is this the best both Parties have, REALLY?
Getting real sick and tired of voting for the lesser of two evils after a while one begins to feel there is no lesser evil. We need to add NONE OF THE ABOVE to the ballets, then if more than 50% of voters vote that way they have to scrap the election results, fire both candidates and find two more, give em 3 months to tell us why them and then everyone votes again, do it until the American People can find someone that does not make them want to use an airsick bag while voting.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:46 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I do take some blame there also, but here is the problem, the GOP and DNC neither seem to be able to trot out some viable good quality candidates, is this the best both Parties have, REALLY?
Getting real sick and tired of voting for the lesser of two evils after a while one begins to feel there is no lesser evil. We need to add NONE OF THE ABOVE to the ballets, then if more than 50% of voters vote that way they have to scrap the election results, fire both candidates and find two more, give em 3 months to tell us why them and then everyone votes again, do it until the American People can find someone that does not make them want to use an airsick bag while voting.
I agree...

If not that, then at least a 3 party system. We need a viable 3rd party now more than ever.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:33 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,742,291 times
Quote:
I agree...

If not that, then at least a 3 party system. We need a viable 3rd party now more than ever.
We do,but I think we might have to retake the republican party back from the Neo Cons...and use the mass of voters and wealth to advance our cause...

Old 07-31-2014, 03:14 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times
Ahh the good old government "allows" rights.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:01 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
We do,but I think we might have to retake the republican party back from the Neo Cons...and use the mass of voters and wealth to advance our cause...
They won't play fair. Just look at the primary race down here in MS.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:12 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,742,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
They won't play fair. Just look at the primary race down here in MS.
Did we ever expect they would?

They will win a few battles, but the will lose the war, and the leftist have by default failed already..

Old 08-01-2014, 04:17 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
A "prepper" should not qualify for possession of guns. Preppers and Survivalists are delusional and paranoid.
Your opinion only.

Would you feel safe putting a sign in your yard, "This is a gun free zone?" Or, in your neighborhood?

Why don't you do that?

Old 08-01-2014, 07:49 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
I agree...

You might be surprised how many people are starting to have the same POV? Too bad I doubt either one of us will ever live to see it come about.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:18 AM

408 posts, read 215,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
The second amendment begins with... "A well regulated militia"
So what? The right to arms is not created by the 2nd Amendment; it is not given or granted to the citizen according to whatever qualifications or conditions you read into the 2nd Amendment. The individual, private citizen's right to arms is not in any manner dependent upon the 2nd Amendment or the Constitution for any aspect of its existence.

Quote:
Spell it out for me, so I can look at your ideas... I suspect "well regulated militia" implies "well maintained guns" there as well.
The term "well regulated" when used to describe militia means properly functioning and in operational order and condition. It is an accolade that is assigned to a corps after they have demonstrated a high degree of order and discipline and expertness in military movements (see Federalist 29). It is contrasted by its antonym, "ill-regualted" which is assigned to militia / troops that are in substandard condition and unfit for battle.

The term "well regulated" has nothing to do with "regulations", the regimen of organization and control written by a legislative body. A thousand volumes of regulations could be imposed on militia but not one syllable would make them actually be "well regulated".

Quote:
Additionally, the bill of rights does emphasize on well regulated militia. Why are so many, then, opposed to the idea of regulating gun ownership?
That is quite a jump. How do you get from the 2nd Amendment's directive for regulating militias (which we have seen is a mistaken conclusion on your part) to "regulating gun ownership" of people who are not in any organized, under the control of Congress militia?

A foundational rule of legal interpretation is, expressio unius est exclusio alterius ("the express mention of one thing excludes all others").

Article I Section 8, clause 16 of the Constitution states that Congress shall have the power; "To provide for organizing, arming and disciplining the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United States, reserving to the states respectively, the appointment of the officers, and the authority of training the militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress: "

What constitutional authority does Congress actually have to dictate to private citizens not enrolled in their state militia and not employed in the service of the United States, that only certain weapons are permitted by law? Congress can dictate all they want on which arms are acceptable for an enrolled militia member to keep ready and muster with, but private citizens are immune by direct exclusion from control by Congress. They are only directly addressed in the 2nd Amendment, "the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Quote:
Of course, it is spelling out the rights of the people. That is not the problem, but an understanding of: "a well-regulated militia".
The problem arises when people like you, who desire to usurp power and steal rights from the people interpret words that the right in no manner depend upon into having conditioning, qualifying and restrictive action on the rights of the people. You are precisely what the Federalists feared and what they warmed about in Federalist 84.

Quote:
The second amendment was written in 1791. I'm sure they could have used "trained" instead of "regulated" if they wanted to limit the application.
Limit the application of what? Your fundamental flaw is reading the 2nd Amendment to be a permission slip for the citizen with the terms used to be defined to benefit the power of government to restrain citizen action. You are so pefectly backwards and so profoundly wrong I doubt your thoughts and beliefs on the Constitution can ever be reconciled with the truth.

Quote:
I'm not the one begging for acceptance of different meanings to words.
Uhhhhh, yes you are. Not only that you are demanding we forget the foundational principles of the Constitution and violate every maxim of rights and their origin embraced and set-out by the founders / framers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies