Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 10:28 AM

4,396 posts, read 4,907,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
No, only "well regulated militia" (another reason to question concealed gun laws as well).
I'm all for a 'well regulated militia' in the meaning from the 1700's - Meaning of the phrase "well-regulated" .

"The phrase "well-regulated" was in common use long before 1789, and remained so for a century thereafter. It referred to the property of something being in proper working order. Something that was well-regulated was calibrated correctly, functioning as expected. Establishing government oversight of the people's arms was not only not the intent in using the phrase in the 2nd amendment, it was precisely to render the government powerless to do so that the founders wrote it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 10:30 AM

10,582 posts, read 9,776,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
1) Abolish Gun shows. Unlicensed dealers can sell guns there without any background checks and 40% guns are bought and sold through this loophole.

2) Strict protocols for licensed dealers.

3) Any buyer must first take and pass a safety class, a psychological screening test, and have no previous misdemeanors or felonies.

4) One month waiting period before purchasing gun.

5) Ammunition cannot be purchased online. A registry is kept also for Ammunition purchase with a limit set on amount per period of time.

6) Finally, a 100% tax on guns and ammunition to pay for extra police, safety measures in schools/public places (bullet proof doors, windows, surveillance cameras, etc.), medical expenses of future victims, and any other cost that results from a shooting or to prevent a deadly shooting.

I will be submitting these suggestions to my congressman and senators.
Of course, none of these things would have stopped any of the mass shootings everybody is concerned about.

Chonic fail, as usual.

It is becoming increasingly clear, that stopping the mass shootings is NOT what the gun-control crowd wants.

You have to wonder why not.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:32 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,800,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I'm all for a 'well regulated militia' in the meaning from the 1700's - Meaning of the phrase "well-regulated" .
Meanings don't change. If they did, we should start questioning any idea created and presented for well into the future. But then, "militia" didn't equal guns anyway. It implied people who would be using guns.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:32 AM

14,293 posts, read 9,670,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
1) Abolish Gun shows. Unlicensed dealers can sell guns there without any background checks and 40% guns are bought and sold through this loophole.

2) Strict protocols for licensed dealers.

3) Any buyer must first take and pass a safety class, a psychological screening test, and have no previous misdemeanors or felonies.

4) One month waiting period before purchasing gun.

5) Ammunition cannot be purchased online. A registry is kept also for Ammunition purchase with a limit set on amount per period of time.

6) Finally, a 100% tax on guns and ammunition to pay for extra police, safety measures in schools/public places (bullet proof doors, windows, surveillance cameras, etc.), medical expenses of future victims, and any other cost that results from a shooting or to prevent a deadly shooting.

I will be submitting these suggestions to my congressman and senators.
As if any democrat politician would say no to a chance to control people's lives a little more, and raise taxes

BTW, can you justify the ban of gun shows, or is it just an emotional, knee-jerk reaction?

Old 12-17-2012, 10:36 AM

18,351 posts, read 26,473,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
First off, I have been a serious collector of military firearms for over 50 years. I am active in the leading Arizona State 2nd amendment advocate's organization and helped form much of the legislation in our state rolling back some overly restrictive gun laws. I currently own 3 Class III registered machine guns and a Heckler and Koch full auto seer pack registered for use in an MP5 and A HK33.

In this case, I am taking the position that there WILL be a national debate on what constitutes "reasonable restrictions" and I, as an avid gun owner intend to sit at the table and provide rational input into that debate. In other words I for one intend to be part of the solution rather than part of the problem.

I agree with almost everything you said with the exception of the personal stereotyping of my person. But the debate is going to happen. We as gun owners can no longer put our fingers in our ears and yell "LA,LA,LA whenever the issue comes up any more. WE MUST offer solutions that society wants. However meaningless gun control is in preventing future mass killings, society wants it and we as gun owners better get a clue and provide some answers or risk being percieved as part of the problem. You stonewall this time and we will all lose bigtime.
Rational input is not handing over everything the gun grabbers want.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:37 AM

18,351 posts, read 26,473,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
No, only "well regulated militia" (another reason to question concealed gun laws as well).
You may want to look up what "well regulated" in reference to militias meant when that was written.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:42 AM

41,815 posts, read 51,008,283 times
To "allow" the second amendment? You don't "allow" anything in the constitution, it's nearly set in stone.

You're proposal to your Congressman needs to be for the removal, clarification or changing of the Second Amendment and that is has a snow balls chance in hell but it would certainly be interesting to see how many Democrats bolt from the party line to keep their job.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:44 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,800,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
You may want to look up what "well regulated" in reference to militias meant when that was written.
Spell it out for me, so I can look at your ideas... I suspect "well regulated militia" implies "well maintained guns" there as well.

38,496 posts, read 25,793,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
So you take away ALL assault rifles.
Everyone is destroyed even from private citizens.
Not a one left in the land.

Do you think this will stop people from killing people with guns?
Nope, many "hunting" rifles can shoot semi auto and be more accurate.
Hand guns can do the same thing as a assault riffle..

The problem is people, we have been killing each other from the beginning.
If you wish to stop a action you need to educate.
You need a citizenry that is capable of remedying the situation, quickly.
Evil wins when good men stand by and do nothing.

If we arm our selves these cowards will think twice as they know no one else will be able to stop them as they don't have the means to do so
We already tried this. It isn't working.

Last edited by jojajn; 12-17-2012 at 10:57 AM..

41,815 posts, read 51,008,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
As if any democrat politician would say no to a chance to control people's lives a little more, and raise taxes
I want them to put their money where the mouth is and propose the abolishment of the Second Amendment. We all know why that isn't being proposed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies