Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 10:17 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

"Verizon filed a patent for a cable television box that uses sensors to record what you’re doing and target you with specific advertisements that relate to your mood. The telecom giant Verizon wants to know you better. Much better. The company just registered a patent for its DVR of the future. The set-top box would use a depth sensor, an image sensor, an audio sensor and a thermal sensor to determine what those watching television are doing...The sensors would also be able to detect where someone is looking...Even more intrusive might be the DVR’s ability to detect and communicate with mobile devices held by viewers. If Verizon senses a mobile phone being used, it may “communicate with the mobile device to limit the content accessible by the way of the mobile device.”

New DVRs will use cameras and microphones to monitor their owners — RT

"Viewers, beware: while you’re watching TV, your TV might be watching you back. A security firm discovered that Samsung’s Smart TV can give hackers access to the device’s built-in camera and microphones, allowing them to watch everything you do..This flaw isn’t present in just one specific model. The vulnerability affects all 11 Samsung televisions of the latest generation. The Smart TVs have many of the same features as a computer, but lack the same kind of protection."

Smart TVs can spy on their owners — RT

Do these 2 separate items creep you out and will Congress ever catch up on technology and privacy issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 10:23 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Software has it...google ads based on your history of surfing.
Hardware has it...some of those built in cameras were recording when the computer was on but the camera software wasn't.
RFID in your badges and ID.

Here's a scary story. I went online to get a copy of my birth certificate from NYC.
They use a third party to process.
I had a series of questions to answer and they knew my personal history going back over 20 years and that included old telephone numbers, addresses of where I lived and the various states.
Some of that I had forgotten and was actually afraid I'd pick the wrong answer and fail the test !!!

It's truly scary what data they have amassed on us peons in society today. They've already got access to whatever the hell they want laws be damned.

You can't hide anymore. Big Brother has been watching you for some time and collecting your life history.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:34 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Software has it...google ads based on your history of surfing.
Hardware has it...some of those built in cameras were recording when the computer was on but the camera software wasn't.
RFID in your badges and ID.

Here's a scary story. I went online to get a copy of my birth certificate from NYC.
They use a third party to process.
I had a series of questions to answer and they knew my personal history going back over 20 years and that included old telephone numbers, addresses of where I lived and the various states.
Some of that I had forgotten and was actually afraid I'd pick the wrong answer and fail the test !!!

It's truly scary what data they have amassed on us peons in society today. They've already got access to whatever the hell they want laws be damned.

You can't hide anymore. Big Brother has been watching you for some time and collecting your life history.
Gathering data is bad enough but cameras and audio to know if you are fighting with your spouse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies