Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 06:23 PM

588 posts, read 796,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
So the facist liberals and their media bull horn just wont let up on trying to disarm the populace. I dont own a gun and I have two children in grade school and I would feel really uncomfortable if our right to bear arms were infringed on any further than they are.
You would feel really uncomfortable if you were unable to purchase a semi automatic assault rifle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 06:23 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,547,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Cars cause a lot of deaths also. Do you want to ban cars?

The reality is that people using guns kill people and people being careless when they drive cause accidents. Blaming an object for a human behavior solves nothing.
Exactly. It solves nothing. The car comparison has been beat to hell. Cars are not purpose-built killing machines. The sole purpose of a gun is to shoot something.

Your logic states that since an object kills someone, we should ban it.

So:

No more T.V.s
No more stairs/escalators/elevators
No more kitchen utensils
No more showers/bathtubs
No more items you can choke on
No more items than can burn you
etc...

Old 12-17-2012, 06:25 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
The statistics I saw months ago actually show the opposite. The more gun control the more guns are used to kill.
You saw wrong. Japan has almost totally abolished shooting homicides after adopting very strict gun controls.

Quote:
Considered "an island without guns," Japan's shooting homicides have dropped dramatically since stronger gun enforcement laws have been put into effect. In 2008, Japan had only 11 homicides as compared to 9,484 in the United States. As incidents of U.S. gun violence in 'gun-free' school zones grow, more demands for stricter gun control will be debated.
Read more: Japan vs U.S.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
So the facist liberals and their media bull horn just wont let up on trying to disarm the populace. I dont own a gun and I have two children in grade school and I would feel really uncomfortable if our right to bear arms were infringed on any further than they are.
You are in the minority on this.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:27 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,089 times
Quote:
Show me one gun that killed anyone without a human operating it. It is not a gun problem; it is an evil human problem. Doing away with every gun in the world would not make evil killing go away.
Show me one missile that killed anyone without a human operating it. Clearly, nuclear weapons are not the problem, people are the problem.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Show me one gun that killed anyone without a human operating it. It is not a gun problem; it is an evil human problem. Doing away with every gun in the world would not make evil killing go away.
It sure does help.

Quote:
The Japanese homicide rate, for example, in 1988 was only 1.2 per 100,000 people while America's was a horrifying 8.4. Handgun Control, Inc. attributes Japan's low homicide rate to their outlawing the civilian ownership of handguns and rifles, and severely controlling shotguns.

Read more: Japan vs U.S.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:28 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,460,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Exactly. It solves nothing. The car comparison has been beat to hell. Cars are not purpose-built killing machines. The sole purpose of a gun is to shoot something.

Your logic states that since an object kills someone, we should ban it.
The corollary "logic" would be something like: if everyone had cars, no one would ever die in a crash.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:29 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Another casualty in the war on drugs. More prohibition, more death.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:29 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
Quote:
The statistics I saw months ago actually show the opposite. The more gun control the more guns are used to kill.
Here, sort this table by country. You'll see the USA at 4.2...look further down, and you'll find the rest of Europe / Canada / Australia, etc. at 2 or much, much less. That includes Switzerland, Finland, and Israel, which all have big gun cultures (and much more stringent, comprehensive gun control). We're much better than Africa and much of South America, but are unstable third-world countries the right measure for the world's richest and supposedly most advanced nation? No.

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't believe that? Here's a nice interactive map.
Current Worldwide Homicide/Murder Rate

Don't believe that? Here's a nice one of just gun-related murder frequency world-wide based on OECD data.
Chart: The U.S. has far more gun-related killings than any other developed country

And here's more...and even more.
Global homicide: murder rates around the world | News | guardian.co.uk
List of countries by intentional homicide rate by decade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We can do this dance all day. Point is that we are by far the most heavily armed nation on planet Earth, and we are by far alone as the most violent nation amongst the first world countries.

Now that you know the facts, there is no hiding and denying. Time to face the truth: we have a BIG problem here, unlike any other developed nation on the planet.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:32 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,125 times
What is the purpose of a car/vehicle?: transportation

What is the purpose of a gun?: to wound and kill

Ban cars? Nope. Purge the USA of its >1 gun per capita gun ownership rate? Yes.

Look at Japan as a model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies