Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 08:52 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Then get mad at Obama. He PROMISED to kick the lobbyists out of DC in 2008, didn't he ?
Instead he cozied up to them and they now write our bills that Congress passes without reading.
If true, one of the worst of his broken promises.

I've lost count of how many, on both right and left, who would like to see lobbying outlawed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 08:58 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
The new American way. Children die and Americans look to profit from their deaths.
The news media has their latest money maker hashing out frivolous news articles that have no value other than to entrap the blood thirsting public. The news media will only shed a tear until the next gruesome fodder comes along and Newtown will be but a memory.

The truth of the matter is that prior to the Reagan era we had institutions that were federally funded to house the insane. Reagan pulled the funding and the patients, many who were committed to lifelong commitments, were turned loose on the street. Many ended up in prisons and the remainder became the first homeless. Adam Lansa should have been housed in one of these facilities from all accounts, but thanks to President Reagan we no longer have those facilities.
Now we have a bunch of republicans trying to run the country by ending federal programs. Many of those programs are providing medications for mentally ill people. If the republicans succeed we will see more and more incidents perpetrated by the mentally ill.

Unfortunately, we now live in a country that has the best government money can buy. The people no longer have a say. Big business is in control. If there is money to be made off automatic weapons we will continue to see those weapons sold.

One thing is clear. If a person intends to do harm to others not having an automatic weapon will not deter them. We should count our selves lucky in a way because anyone who has a mind to harm others can find instructions on bomb making on the internet , build a bomb, and detonate that bomb on a subway, in a school, hospital, football game, etc.

What we really need is to admit we have those people among us who are mentally unstable and need to housed in a facility where that can get help or at least be confined to a time when they are no longer a threat. Most important, we must be willing to pay the cost in money and not lives, especially the lives of children.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:59 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,406,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Ok, these are perceptions on my part. But I've heard many times the NRA using their lobbyists to block common sense gun laws like the assault weapon ban. To me, a regular citizen who does not own guns and does not intend to that seems wrong. It seems wrong that they can manipulate our system of government.

They are not the only ones guilty, the oil lobbies are a nightmare as well. Maybe my beef is against lobbying in general. But I think this is a watershed moment for the country and it's long history of gun ownership and gun violence.

The gun owners rights to own guns and carry them around in public I feel is seriously intruding on my rights to live in a safe society. I pay my fair share of taxes, why do I have to put up with this?
How do you directly connect NRA with the specific crime? What the shooter an NRA member? Did he blog a lot about the NRA? Did the NRA convince him that he should kill those children? The only way you could "sue" is a wrongful death case. What DIRECT ROLE did NRA play in his shooting all those people?
d
The KKK was basically destroyed by a wrongful death lawsuit because a KKK member hung a black man and apparently either admitted it or was found guilty of it in criminal court. I don't remember the exact details. The Southern Poverty Law Center sued the KKK on behalf of the victim's family. They won. Therefore the financial award the KKK had to pay to the victim's family bankrupted them; they lost all their money and assets, and the organization was basically destroyed.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:05 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
How do you directly connect NRA with the specific crime? What the shooter an NRA member? Did he blog a lot about the NRA? Did the NRA convince him that he should kill those children? The only way you could "sue" is a wrongful death case. What DIRECT ROLE did NRA play in his shooting all those people?
d
The KKK was basically destroyed by a wrongful death lawsuit because a KKK member hung a black man and apparently either admitted it or was found guilty of it in criminal court. I don't remember the exact details. The Southern Poverty Law Center sued the KKK on behalf of the victim's family. They won. Therefore the financial award the KKK had to pay to the victim's family bankrupted them; they lost all their money and assets, and the organization was basically destroyed.
This is exactly what I had in mind. They should be humbled in the national spotlight for what they have done. It may be a direct result of their lobbying that this gun was in this woman's possession.

When was it purchased? When was it manufactured? Was it due to the NRA's action that she was able to get a permit for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
The new American way. Children die and Americans look to profit from their deaths.
The news media has their latest money maker hashing out frivolous news articles that have no value other than to entrap the blood thirsting public. The news media will only shed a tear until the next gruesome fodder comes along and Newtown will be but a memory.

The truth of the matter is that prior to the Reagan era we had institutions that were federally funded to house the insane. Reagan pulled the funding and the patients, many who were committed to lifelong commitments, were turned loose on the street. Many ended up in prisons and the remainder became the first homeless. Adam Lansa should have been housed in one of these facilities from all accounts, but thanks to President Reagan we no longer have those facilities.
Now we have a bunch of republicans trying to run the country by ending federal programs. Many of those programs are providing medications for mentally ill people. If the republicans succeed we will see more and more incidents perpetrated by the mentally ill.

Unfortunately, we now live in a country that has the best government money can buy. The people no longer have a say. Big business is in control. If there is money to be made off automatic weapons we will continue to see those weapons sold.

One thing is clear. If a person intends to do harm to others not having an automatic weapon will not deter them. We should count our selves lucky in a way because anyone who has a mind to harm others can find instructions on bomb making on the internet , build a bomb, and detonate that bomb on a subway, in a school, hospital, football game, etc.

What we really need is to admit we have those people among us who are mentally unstable and need to housed in a facility where that can get help or at least be confined to a time when they are no longer a threat. Most important, we must be willing to pay the cost in money and not lives, especially the lives of children.
Lawsuits are not always about "profit"........they are about PUNISHMENT. It is in fact punishment to have to pay out high awards for misconduct. Sometimes a civil lawsuit is the only way to demonstrate that there can be consequences for irresponsible, harmful activity, by the defendant losing in a civil suit and being ordered to pay out large sums of money for their irresponsible actions and/or to clean up messes they have made, like environmental harm.

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Oh for God's sake.

Next thing people will start suing those related to the ones who wrote the 2nd Amendment.
Don't give them any ideas. Next they'll want to bring Bush up on war crime charges...

Old 12-18-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
This is exactly what I had in mind. They should be humbled in the national spotlight for what they have done. It may be a direct result of their lobbying that this gun was in this woman's possession.

When was it purchased? When was it manufactured? Was it due to the NRA's action that she was able to get a permit for it?
Well, not possible, I don't think, to sue them over this incident unless there is a DIRECT connection to something the NRA did which influenced the SHOOTER to do what he did, not the mother. Their "lobbying" may have been somewhat responsible for this woman having the guns, but there has not been and DIRECT CONNECTION between the shooter and the NRA or anything they have done.....it may be possible for the victims' families to sue the mother's estate.

As someone else mentioned, getting on to campaign finance reform will have more of an effect on the NRA's "power" than anything related to this case.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:15 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,176,768 times
Why not sue Hollywood or the video game industry? They might not win, but they can bring a lot of heat on those two industries for the dangerous products they put out into society.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:16 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,469,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
lobbying....oh you mean think progress and unions...they LOBBY VERY HEAVY
So do the powers aligned against them.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Why not sue Hollywood or the video game industry? They might not win, but they can bring a lot of heat on those two industries for the dangerous products they put out into society.
Frivolous lawsuits get thrown out of court by the judge. Hollywood and video games is a FAR stretch in a specific case like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies