Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 10:32 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I think lobbying in general is a real problem in this country. The fact that some companies spend more per year on lobbyists than they do on healthcare for their own employees says it all. Our government should not be for sale by the highest bidder. The people want gun control. The NRA should BUTT OUT.
Oh please, you love lobbying....except from those you disagree with or that aren't pushing money into your parties pocket.

Good luck with your hopeless war on drugs...errr guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the respectful response. The first one in the thread. But at least this would put the spotlight where it belongs, on the NRA. One of the most evil organizations in this country.
Most of the gun deaths in the US occur in urban areas and are gang\drug related. But, just keep telling yourself that this is the NRA's fault....stick your fingers in your ears and close your eyes too.

It's not the NRA causing there to be hundreds of annual shooting deaths in Chicago.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Why not sue Hollywood or the video game industry? They might not win, but they can bring a lot of heat on those two industries for the dangerous products they put out into society.
Why not sue the parents, families and communities of the gang members that commit most of the annual murders?

Oh wait, that would be politically incorrect.

Imagine it's the 1960's and there are a rash of fatal traffic accidents going on. A lot of you are describing how we need to ban fast driving from movies or put engine restrictions on cars and so forth.....while none of you want to talk about drunk driving, the big killer.

Why is that?

Old 12-18-2012, 10:44 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,062,395 times
That's like a fat person bringing a law suit against Coca Cola. The only logic in this is for the lawyers who stand to profit.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:02 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
If they can't sue gun manufacturers what makes you think they can sue the NRA?
Gun manufacturers CAN be sued. Bushmaster, the manufacturer who made the combat rifle used at the Sandy hook school, was sued after a shooting death. The company settled the lawsuit privately before the case was adjudicated.

Now, the gun company could face over 20 such lawsuits. This is, I believe, the probable reason the holding company that owns Bushmaster, Remington, and another gun company to bail out and put Bushmaster up for sale. I haven't seen anything that says they are dropping the other gun companies, but they all may be wrapped up in a bundle.

The Bushmaster is the most popular AR-15 variant sold in the U.S. 2012 has been a banner sales year for the company, but it has been profitable for quite a while. It will probably be sold, but I'm betting that the company name will disappear along with it's combat rifle production.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:23 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Ok, these are perceptions on my part. But I've heard many times the NRA using their lobbyists to block common sense gun laws like the assault weapon ban. To me, a regular citizen who does not own guns and does not intend to that seems wrong. It seems wrong that they can manipulate our system of government.

They are not the only ones guilty, the oil lobbies are a nightmare as well. Maybe my beef is against lobbying in general. But I think this is a watershed moment for the country and it's long history of gun ownership and gun violence.

The gun owners rights to own guns and carry them around in public I feel is seriously intruding on my rights to live in a safe society. I pay my fair share of taxes, why do I have to put up with this?
so you have any idea how many things we enjoy because of possibly some lobbyist.? Any my gripe isn't with your disliking lobbyist: a lot of people do, my concerns is with your statement NRA is one of the most evil organizations in our country.

also might add, if I thought banning assult riffles would solve the problems and end some peoples desire to control who has a gun, I might go along with it, but I know, like many things, this would just be the start of more gun control.. I hope you realize, people carrying guns in public, are the the problem, people using them is the problem and shooting someone, whether carrying a gun in public or not is still against the law last I heard.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:26 PM

24,401 posts, read 23,056,554 times
The guys father must have known his son had access to guns and his mother was at her wits end trying to care for him. Maybe they can sue General Electric.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:29 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
If I were a parent I would sue the school district for failure to provide protective measures to keep my child safe.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-18-2012, 01:29 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:
I think we all know that it's because of the well funded lobbying of the NRA that these guns are so available in this country. It's also why not only will Republican lawmakers not comment on new gun control, they won't even return phone calls on the subject. .
But maybe it is because lots and lots of Americans want guns?

Old 12-18-2012, 04:18 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Ok, these are perceptions on my part. But I've heard many times the NRA using their lobbyists to block common sense gun laws like the assault weapon ban. To me, a regular citizen who does not own guns and does not intend to that seems wrong. It seems wrong that they can manipulate our system of government.

They are not the only ones guilty, the oil lobbies are a nightmare as well. Maybe my beef is against lobbying in general. But I think this is a watershed moment for the country and it's long history of gun ownership and gun violence.

The gun owners rights to own guns and carry them around in public I feel is seriously intruding on my rights to live in a safe society. I pay my fair share of taxes, why do I have to put up with this?
You never answered my question. On what grounds would you sue the NRA? For what? Although I am not a lawyer I have been involved in civil litigation and you have to file your case and present it to a judge. If the judge finds no merit - he/she will throw the case out.

Common sense is a myth. It is often wrong. The previous federal assault weapons ban from 1994-2004 didn't reduce crime. It had no beneficial effect. Oftentimes enacting policy doesn't do what they think it will do.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/204431.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies