Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 10:52 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,208,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I never liked the attacks on teachers but even liberals want to tie teacher pay to performance. I don't like public unions and agree with Wisconsin Gov. Walker but teachers should be dealt with fairly in terms of compensation and benefits.
Teacher A has a class full of poor kids from the projects whose parents are gangbangers, they perform poorly or medocre at best

Teacher B has a class full of rich kids from an affluent suburb whose parents are professionals, they perfrom above average. Should Teacher B get paid more???

Old 12-18-2012, 10:54 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,522,118 times
We just had 6 teachers massacred on their jobs. Their jobs obviously carried significant occupational hazard. Why should teachers' compensation not be a valid topic for discussion? The righties here obviously want to push the topic under the rug because it flies against their constant vilification of teachers as "union thugs".

Old 12-18-2012, 10:54 AM

376 posts, read 295,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Discuss the topic rather make a personal attack.
If the question was stated something like: SH teachers make X, working Y hours and achieve Z results. Then we could have a discussion. The OP just wants a food fight.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Show us the posts where people made these claims, so that we can discuss the topic. Otherwise, you're just a troll trying to be big man on campus.
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-overpaid.html

Old 12-18-2012, 10:57 AM

376 posts, read 295,665 times
Quote:
We just had 6 teachers massacred on their jobs. Their jobs obviously carried significant occupational hazard. Why should teachers' compensation not be a valid topic for discussion? The righties here obviously want to push the topic under the rug because it flies against their constant vilification of teachers as "union thugs".

When every school in the Nation loses 6 KIA a year, then you have a "significant occupational hazard". Right now you just have a crisis you are not about to waste.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:58 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Once again, show us the post where someone said that Sandy Hook Teachers are Overpaid. I'm not disagreeing that teachers' compensation is a valid topic of discussion, but you're accusing conservatives of specifically saying that Sandy Hook Teachers are overpaid, and I've yet to see anyone post that here, nor have I heard anyone say that on television or radio.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:00 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Which Sandy Hook teachers are over or under paid? Based upon what criteria? That it's possible that a school may be targeted by a whack job, all salaries should be increased? There are close to 99,000 public schools in America. How many public schools have seen this kind of event? 10% 1%?
I don't know.
I myself believe that a good teacher is worth their weight in gold and a bad teacher is as worthless as teats on a turtle. We have all had experiences with both. I would wager that the % of bad teachers is higher than the percentage of schools that have seen mass murderers show up at the door.
Most conservatives or free thinkers who don't believe in the Union rhetoric believe that salaries should be based on performance. I am against tenure a system that enables bad teachers to not only keep their jobs, but rewards their poor performance. I also believe that Teachers like just about every tax payer who is paying their salaries should shoulder a share of the burden for the cost of their benefits.
Is this evil? I don't believe so.
We hear how teachers have to attend courses and do other things to maintain their status. I work in a factory and I too must attend courses and stay current in order to maintain my Tech status. Most people do.
Back to the OP.
The Teachers at Sandy hook according to the media and witnesses performed well under pressure and deserve to be commended. That is also what they are paid to do. Take charge of their wards during a crisis and protect them. Sometimes when under fire the hardest thing to do is to huddle up and wait out the attack. Instinct tells us, no it screams for us to run away from it. These teachers stood fast and did the honorable and brave thing. I commend them, does this automatically mean they all deserve a pay increase? That would also depend upon how well they do the other aspects of the job.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Once again, show us the post where someone said that Sandy Hook Teachers are Overpaid. I'm not disagreeing that teachers' compensation is a valid topic of discussion, but you're accusing conservatives of specifically saying that Sandy Hook Teachers are overpaid, and I've yet to see anyone post that here, nor have I heard anyone say that on television or radio.
I don't think he ever made that accusation. He said that many people have suggested that teachers in general are overpaid.

You honestly have never heard this argument???

Old 12-18-2012, 11:01 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
A poll from February of last year? That doesn't mention Sandy Hook teachers, now does it? The OP titled his thread for a specific reason, and it was to troll the forums. Apparently the OP was running out of reasons to bash conservatives and felt that it was necessary to start a new thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
I don't think he ever made that accusation. He said that many people have suggested that teachers in general are overpaid.

You honestly have never heard this argument???
Look at the thread title.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:02 AM

7,808 posts, read 6,387,167 times
Quote:

Oh please, they are much more likely of dying on their way to or from work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies