Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 03:14 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Given the endless array of crazy threads on this forum, I am surprised that none of our resident conspiracy theorists has come to the conclusion that the Newtown massacre was staged by the Obama administration in order to have a good reason to take away our beloved, exalted-above-all-else, guns.

How long is it going to be before they come out of the woodwork with something along those lines?

Perhaps even the nuttiest among us realize that some topics go far beyond the realms of bad taste... Thus, there certainly seems to be something "different" about this shooting - perhaps we'll be able to finally have an honest dialogue about the issue of widely available guns.
We've had many mass shootings over the last couple decades and I haven't seen anybody blame the gov't for them. And there have been dialogues about gun control for decades as well. In fact, there was a big gun control situation regarding Chicago just recently.

As for honest dialogues, it's impossible to have one because the left isn't honest about gun control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 03:19 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
I read several posts on the Sticky thread speculating about Obama and this tragedy.

This particular thread seems to tilt in that direction, too.

What other reason would someone have to start a thread like this other than to plant a seed for yet another conspiracy theory.

I cannot imagine the noise if this tragedy happened before the election.
Holy crap- who would have gotten to Newtown first?

Old 12-18-2012, 03:22 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
As for honest dialogues, it's impossible to have one because the left isn't honest about gun control.
I am under the impression that neither left nor right is honest about it.

If they were, platitudes like "guns don't kill people, people kill people" wouldn't be thrown around. Nor would people immediately jump to extremes and claim that those who want to regulate SOME types of firearms want to ban ALL of them.

What is honest about that? As a matter of fact, what is honest about laying the blame for a lack of honest discussion on only ONE political perspective? I tell you what: Nothing! It's just more of the same that we do so well here lately - point fingers and hope to avoid any and all compromise.

You see, last I checked, about half of our population sees itself on the "left" and the other half sees itself on the "right" - with a few who don't fit well anywhere on that spectrum. Yet, an overwhelming majority is opposed to banning firearms... In other words, this issue is not really about political affiliation.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:26 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I read several posts on the Sticky thread speculating about Obama and this tragedy.

This particular thread seems to tilt in that direction, too.

What other reason would someone have to start a thread like this other than to plant a seed for yet another conspiracy theory.

I cannot imagine the noise if this tragedy happened before the election.
Holy crap- who would have gotten to Newtown first?
I assure you that I am not hoping to plant a seed for another conspiracy theory. If you read several posts linking Newtown to Obama in the Sticky, then I can only express my amazement. I took the absence of such idiotic assertions elsewhere on this forum as a potential sign for a shift in our approach to discussing gun ownership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies