Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 12:34 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,669,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
In what way? The person I replied to had disgust for a person over an act they performed. Some men find the concept of someone having burning leaves in their mouth, less distasteful than the thought of having...other things in their mouth.
Evidently the point has sailed completely over your head or you're trolling. Someone blowing smoke in my face, in a public place, is a little different than worrying about private gay oral sex.

Should I spell it out for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 12:46 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Evidently the point has sailed completely over your head or you're trolling. Someone blowing smoke in my face, in a public place, is a little different than worrying about private gay oral sex.

Should I spell it out for you?
1) We were discussing E-cigs, which doesn't equate with "blowing smoke in your face". Give up the strawman.

2) We were discussing being around smokers and the distaste for them as people. Not being around their smoke, or around them while they are smoking. Plenty of people want to judge smokers that go outside and smoke, or smoke in their own homes. Not while they are around them in a building, say at work. As such, they are judged for their acts. How is that any difference than judging homosexuals for their acts, which really don't impact you?

Old 11-11-2013, 12:54 PM

20,457 posts, read 12,377,353 times
Quote:
1) We were discussing E-cigs, which doesn't equate with "blowing smoke in your face". Give up the strawman.

2) We were discussing being around smokers and the distaste for them as people. Not being around their smoke, or around them while they are smoking. Plenty of people want to judge smokers that go outside and smoke, or smoke in their own homes. Not while they are around them in a building, say at work. As such, they are judged for their acts. How is that any difference than judging homosexuals for their acts, which really don't impact you?

Toyman, if it was just about someone doing something in the privacy of their own home/time/whatever... that would be one thing, but the act of smoking, even in privacy ends up being offensive to most peoples noses long after the smoker has flicked the butt into the ashtray.

In this thread, I related a story of getting into an elevator with co-workers who looked very nice. ARE very nice people but they smelled horrible.

Just yesterday, I found myself once again in the company with some very nice people who smoke. wonderful people. I would never think of them otherwise, but my nose was terribly offended.

They stunk. They looked nice. They were dressed quite nicely. They behaved in every way as polite people. BUT (and it is a big but...) they smelled awful.

smokers arent offensive because they smoke. they are offensive, because they smell in a way that is actaully offensive to everybody else.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:19 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,970,964 times
No, not "everybody else".
SOME people just don't notice it. I don't.
In response to the OP, it would not bother me. In fact, it would not bother me if they smoked a REAL cigarette.
Please, don't start with the "second hand smoke" harangue. I don't believe it. If it were true, my sister and I would be DEAD! Nearly everybody in our family smoked when we were growing up. I smoked for 40 years. I quit to deny the State the taxes they wanted. Yes, "tax avoidance" at its best! Just think of those poor children that will have no health insurance because I (and many others) quit smoking!

Old 11-11-2013, 02:34 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,510,824 times
Quote:
Some feel the same way about homos, and are condemned for it. Don't let your hate ruin your life.

As far as e-cigs, I have no issue with someone using them. Some people just want the power to rule other's lives; the smell of cigs is a convenient excuse.
Your entire line of reasoning is stupid. Equating cigarette smoking, a habit someone chooses, and same sex attraction, an inborn trait, is plain silly.

And no, it's not the smell of cigarettes, as disgusting as it is, but the fact that someone's filthy habit can kill me that warrants regulation.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:38 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Your entire line of reasoning is stupid. Equating cigarette smoking, a habit someone chooses, and same sex attraction, an inborn trait, is plain silly.

And no, it's not the smell of cigarettes, as disgusting as it is, but the fact that someone's filthy habit can kill me that warrants regulation.
Oh, would you like a tissue?

People choose to smoke, same as to engage in homosexual activities, and it is an addiction. What is "disgusting" about either act? The fact that someone smokes in no way "will kill you" if they aren't doing so in your presence. Now, we were discussing e-cigs, which will do neither. I don't care for the smell of cig smoke, but wouldn't call those that partake "disgusting". The intolerence of some people!

Old 11-11-2013, 02:46 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,281,607 times
Quote:
Oh, would you like a tissue?

People choose to smoke, same as to engage in homosexual activities, and it is an addiction. What is "disgusting" about either act? The fact that someone smokes in no way "will kill you" if they aren't doing so in your presence. Now, we were discussing e-cigs, which will do neither. I don't care for the smell of cig smoke, but wouldn't call those that partake "disgusting". The intolerence of some people!
She didn't call them disgusting (why do I feel like I'm repeating myself??) - she said THE HABIT is filthy and disgusting. Considering that a building that allows smokers has approximately 30% higher cleaning and maintenance costs than a building that does not (source Don Aslett), I'd say that makes it a filthy habit. Many people consider filth disgusting. Leaving a film of oils and lung exudate on every surface isn't disgusting??

My sister used to smoke real cigarettes, and has switched over to e-cigs. There is no comparison; e-cigs are much cleaner, and smell better. They also don't trigger my asthma, as real cigarette smoke does (and places with a lot of smokers' residue).

Old 11-11-2013, 02:52 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,156,856 times
I was able to quit a tenacious smoking37-year addiction by using e-cigs.
I vape while working. And other places, including non-smokers homes (always with permission.) Nobody complains; in fact people tell me the vapor smells rather nice.
Obviously I don't mind if other people do.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:21 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times
Quote:
In what way? E-cigs emit no smoke, no harmful side effects, and have a very minimal odor. Why would someone try to ban someone from using a product that in no way harms them? I see laws banning e-cigs (and to a lesser extent, real cigs, since they have an actual health effect) with laws that banned homosexual acts. In both cases there are people that find the acts distasteful and don't choose to partake in them themselves. They seem to think that thier distate gives them the right to force their choices on others.
I still got a headache from an E-Cigarette during that hockey game. I only find smoking disgusting mainly because of what I've seen it do to my father and the effect it has had on me. He smoked up until I was 10 & 1/2 and did it for years before that, even before the Surgeon General warning was first put on the boxes. He has bad bronchitis from his years of smoking. As for me, I get physically sick from smelling cigarettes for too long.

I see the E-cig from the 1-0 on the game theory matrix. Rather than traditional smoking, where it is 0-0 because both the smoker and non-smoker lose, the "smoker" can win from vaping on an e-cig but the non smoker can still lose because of the action of the "smoker." I see laws against public use of e-cigs being a intrinsic good because nobody hurts. I am not saying to be Gestapo and crackdown of e-cig use in your car or home, just the same legislation traditional cigarettes do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Seriously, dude, if you can't see the difference between smoking and gay sex, I got nothin for you. Seek professional help. Soon.

Also, read the definition of a strawman, because you used a textbook example.
It wasn't exactly a strawman. He was basically saying to ban e-cigs is the same as say the anti-sodomy laws. I understand that, the issue but we are not saying to ban e-cigs, outright. Just the same as traditional cigarettes, BIG difference. Anti-sodomy laws would ban you from doing anal sex acts even in the privacy of your own home while cigarette smoking is illegal but only in bars, restaurants and sports arenas. It was a poor comparison but not quite in strawman territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I was able to quit a tenacious smoking37-year addiction by using e-cigs.
I vape while working. And other places, including non-smokers homes (always with permission.) Nobody complains; in fact people tell me the vapor smells rather nice.
Obviously I don't mind if other people do.
I don't mind people that respect the public space of others. What I mind is those smoke with in confined spaces (say close to a building, in a house, in an office or sports arena.) I applaud you for kicking the habit and actually worrying about others who are non-smokers.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:05 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,829,971 times
I don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies