Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 06:50 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,165,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Most hospitals employee policy includes limiting fragrance. If this happens again, ask to speak to the supervisor. If they refuse to get you help, get on the hospital phone and call the operator and ask for help, like speaking to a patient onbudsman or patient relations representative or nursing supervisor. Don't speak to them in anger. Try to be calm and clear with your situation. Most of the offending hospital employees are women. They're suppose to add no more than deodorant and scent from body wash. No perfume, cologne, or aftershave. Even if they use such fragrances, they need to use a small enough amount that it can't be detected from around 10 feet. Even though I work in the boiler room, I still have to go into patient rooms for repairs like the nurse call system, HVAC, lights, and plumbing. That's why I don't put on any aftershave nor cologne when going to work. My aftershave is an unscented face lotion. My fragrance is my body wash and deodorant. When i do wear cologne, I pump spray my neck once on each side. I've had to speak with the housekeeping supervisor about some of their employees' amount of perfume. One case was so strong that we could still smell the perfume strongly several minutes after she had passed through the hallway. They called her into their office. When she entered the office, they told her to go home and wash off the perfume. They couldn't stomach her being in their office because she had so much perfume on her.
Well, hopefully I won't be in the hospital again and it's pretty hard to be calm and clear when you're on no food or water for 10 days. I could smell this nurse the second she stepped out of the elevator down the hall.

I had to tell my own mother to lay off the perfume, you could tell she had come by for a visit hours after she was gone!

I just get annoyed with people vilifying smokers as "filthy and disgusting". Is it a bad, expensive habit? Yes. Would I object to anyone with an electronic cigarette? Never!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Did you have an unvented battery?

The equipment you use is important. People really need to research what they are buying. Those cheapo gas station models suck.
Anything with a battery can overheat, or explode.

I'm vaping strawberry cheesecake liquid in my GLV right now. Yummy!
An unvented battery .... hmmm, I don't know. I bought it about three years ago over the Internet when they were relatively new to the market. When that happened, I threw it out and went back to my good ol' tobacco.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:54 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Well, hopefully I won't be in the hospital again and it's pretty hard to be calm and clear when you're on no food or water for 10 days. I could smell this nurse the second she stepped out of the elevator down the hall.

I had to tell my own mother to lay off the perfume, you could tell she had come by for a visit hours after she was gone!

I just get annoyed with people vilifying smokers as "filthy and disgusting". Is it a bad, expensive habit? Yes. Would I object to anyone with an electronic cigarette? Never!
We even have sections of the hospital designated as a fragrance free zone. Many of our nurses will even put up hand written or computer printed signs on the patient door advising no fragrance. I think the habit of wearing such large amount and strong perfume, cologne, and or aftershave goes back to the era when the vast majority of adults were smoking cigarettes, cigars, and or pipe tobacco. With so many no longer smoking, our noses are more sensitive to fragrances.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:02 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
An unvented battery .... hmmm, I don't know. I bought it about three years ago over the Internet when they were relatively new to the market. When that happened, I threw it out and went back to my good ol' tobacco.
Yeah, 3 years ago not many companies were aware of the possibility of fire. Most companies have vented batteries now, except some of the ones from China. Mine was made here by a man who started in his garage. Now he is one or the most respected manufacturers, and has a months long waiting list at times.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:45 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Did you have an unvented battery?

The equipment you use is important. People really need to research what they are buying. Those cheapo gas station models suck.
Anything with a battery can overheat, or explode.

I'm vaping strawberry cheesecake liquid in my GLV right now. Yummy!
I am using menthol in a White Cloud Cirrus II. I've tried 4 types of e-cigs and in my opinion White Clouds smooth draw technology can't be beat. It's effortless. You don't have to use any more effort than ordinary breathing. What I didn't like about the other e-cigs was having to suck on them like a straw. I watched some e-cig reviews on youtube and even ones where the person gave high ratings, you could see in their face how much effort it took to vape. I think that is the primary problem of e-cigs so far as getting smokers to switch to them. The quality varies so much between brands that if you hit on a poor quality one you're likely to give them up and go back to killing yourself with real cigs and never see the benefits of a good quality e-cig.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I am using menthol in a White Cloud Cirrus II. I've tried 4 types of e-cigs and in my opinion White Clouds smooth draw technology can't be beat. It's effortless. You don't have to use any more effort than ordinary breathing. What I didn't like about the other e-cigs was having to suck on them like a straw. I watched some e-cig reviews on youtube and even ones where the person gave high ratings, you could see in their face how much effort it took to vape. I think that is the primary problem of e-cigs so far as getting smokers to switch to them. The quality varies so much between brands that if you hit on a poor quality one you're likely to give them up and go back to killing yourself with real cigs and never see the benefits of a good quality e-cig.
That's good to know, I was one of the well-intentioned who gave up and went back. The other thing I didn't like was the plastic mouthpiece, made me feel like I was sucking on a binkie.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:04 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
That's true. I almost gave up after trying one from a gas station.

Now I'm happy as a clam, have about 70 different flavors in my liquid box, and about 15 different PVs.
(it's become a hobby)

Old 12-19-2012, 01:56 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,563,570 times
Quote:
Warning - I bought e-cigs awhile ago and while recharging, it caught fire.
What?? What exactly caught fire? the cord, the recharger, the battery? I've never heard of such a thing. I hope you aren't scaring people with something wrong in your electrical system.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Some hospitals don't allow it. Heck, some of them won't even hire employees who smoke. Kind of odd considering within living history, nurses could smoke at their desk and in some cases, patients and family could smoke in the room.
My dad died of diabetes, after a long history of poor diet and alcoholism. He lived as he wanted. He died shortly after we cut off his feet. I'll be damned if anyone is going to deny him his last pleasure in this life.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Ewww, those filthy and disgusting smokers, let's just put them in a leper colony.

You know what I am highly sensitive to? Certain perfumes. I have been behind women in theaters, in stores, in elevators, on airplanes, where they apparently had the need to douse themselves in the eau du stink. It has actually triggered an asthma attack. When I was in the hospital, the night nurse wore so much perfume I called her "Nurse Stinky" and refused to let her in my room because the smell of her made me nauseous.

Can we invent electronic perfume?
Hate it, and I'm a smoker. I've had to change aisles when shopping, their perfume made me gag.
I also think some of the mens deodorants are too strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies