Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 06:01 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,670,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Just 70 years ago the Japanese were slaughtering millions. As recently as 1975 Spain was a dictatorship under a fascist whose rise to power was assisted by none other than Hitler.

We haven't seen such tyrants here because of our second amendment.
Wow! And they both have strict gun control with a much lower gun fatality rate (did you read those links??) Now how can that be?

Old 12-18-2012, 06:02 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Your chart shows all murders, not just gun related and certainly not automatic weapons.
Yeah, who cares about people who die from other things. That's not relevant at all here.

And crime committed with automatic weapons is non existent.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:03 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Why do you care if someone was murdered with a firearm, or some other tool? Talking "gun violence" only is a way to deflect from the fact that if guns aren't available, some other weapon will be used to commit murder.
The faster the weapon, the higher the body count.

Hours before Adam Lanza began his carnage in Newtown, knife-wielding Min Yingjun went on a rampage in a central China village school. Lanza killed 28 people, including himself. Min didn’t manage to kill anyone.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:06 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
They are not, according to UNICEF. I would consider the USA to be post-industrialized, with manufacturing
fading away fast. Post-industrial society - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think the UNICEF industrialized countries list should really be the developed economies list.

Industrialized really just means a manufacturing country, with very few people living as farmers. Most countries today are industrialized. I mean, what Eastern European country today isn't industrialized?

I mean, across Europe and Asia, the communists industrialized the whole region.

What we are really talking about, are developed economies. First-world economies. Service-heavy economies. Rather than manufacturing and resource-based economies.

To say Russia isn't industrialized, is pretty silly. And Russia's per-capita GDP is nearly identical to Poland's(which made your list).

List of countries by GDP (PPP) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Moreover, there are actually two countries that made your list that have a higher murder rate than the United States. Estonia and Lithuania.

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But the real question should be. Once Russia, Brazil, South Africa, and Mexico reach your definition of "industrialized" or "developed" country status. Will they suddenly have lower murder rates than the United States?

Old 12-18-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
you were the one who said "Because you can't kill 20 children in 15 minutes without a gun! That's NRA hogwash your drinking up."

It is you who are full of hogwash. You know very well the worst massacres in this country have not been caused by guns.
Bombs are explosive just like firearms...get real. Plus, you can't go and legally buy bombs, at least I hope not.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:07 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
Read the horror stories over in Africa of the warfare and terror they inflict on rival tribes and on their own citizens. Look at the death counts in Mexico. Bashing America is a cop out. There's too much emotion on this issue and people are runing wild with unproven myths and unsubstantiated claims. Now is not the time to run off half cocked and have a knee jerk reaction at the heat of the moment.
We need to carefully weigh the facts, discuss all aspects of the problem, and try to find solutions that best serve everybody.
If the government and our elected leaders are incapable of doing it, we'll have to step up and do it for them.
This is a social dilemma and the people will have to figure out how to solve it so lets get started. When we're done we'll tell them what they're going to do. This should be done on many more issues like taxes, health care, social spending, military involvement, the economy. We've allowed the dregs of the political circus free reign for far too long and they've abused the system far too much.
We have the internet and can have a mass discussion and meeting of the minds from every corner of the country. We don't need the government or the media telling us what people think, we already know.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:12 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Wow! And they both have strict gun control with a much lower gun fatality rate (did you read those links??) Now how can that be?
We haven't had dictators or such the way they have. That is the purpose of our second amendment. I'd rather deal with common criminals than a dictator.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:13 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Bombs are explosive just like firearms...get real. Plus, you can't go and legally buy bombs, at least I hope not.
Did any laws stop mcveigh from setting off bombs?

Old 12-18-2012, 06:14 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,561 times
Quote:
No bomb stores that I'm aware of.

Just internet access, and some basic supplies will do it.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I think the UNICEF industrialized countries list should really be the developed economies list.

Industrialized really just means a manufacturing country, with very few people living as farmers. Most countries today are industrialized. I mean, what Eastern European country today isn't industrialized?

I mean, across Europe and Asia, the communists industrialized the whole region.

What we are really talking about, are developed economies. First-world economies. Service-heavy economies. Rather than manufacturing and resource-based economies.

To say Russia isn't industrialized, is pretty silly. And Russia's per-capita GDP is nearly identical to Poland's(which made your list).

List of countries by GDP (PPP) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Moreover, there are actually two countries that made your list that have a higher murder rate than the United States. Estonia and Lithuania.

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But the real question should be. Once Russia, Brazil, South Africa, and Mexico reach your definition of "industrialized" or "developed" country status. Will they suddenly have lower murder rates than the United States?
Really?? Estonia?? There is always an excuse...isn't there. I never said Poland...you did. i gave the link you tried to find a fault and you came up with Estonia...not France, Canada, Germany, Spain, UK, Italy, Portugal, but Estonia....I can tell someone is estoniad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies