Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 06:31 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times

Advertisements

That is a common sense approach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 06:57 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,094,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The GOP's march to obscurity continues.
I agree with this. While I have been bashing the loony left for wanting to add more gun regulations, this is insanity.

I think there are better security measures like
-Security bars over windows;
-Bullet proof glass;
-Heavy duty doors;
-An emergency system that has motion sensors at each window and doorway that locks everything down and notifies the police when they are set off;

If the presence of guns is desired, hired thoroughly screened, highly trained and strictly regulated security guards.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:03 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,225,652 times
The lack of common sense in these threads is incredible!

I have a friend that was a History teacher in an inner city high school for 15 years. He's retired now. For the entire 15 years he carried a Browning Hi-Power 9mm semi automatic pistol that holds 14 rounds. He carried it illegally. Nobody ever knew. Nobody ever got his weapon. There were never any problems. But had something happened this teacher may have been able to make a difference.

All the stupid reasons being thrown around re: teachers carrying are total BS. There are ways to safely carry and nobody needs to know.

So many people live in a deluded fairy tale world. Unbelievable!

Old 12-19-2012, 12:23 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
I don't support pre-school and kindergarten teachers carrying guns in schools. Not a good idea.

You dont support finding well qualified individuals, training them to the level we require law enforcement and placing them in schools for the protection of the most vulnerable among us?

That certainly seems odd.

The Texas bill that was submitted today would require teachers that carry be trained to the level that Air Marshals are trained. You oppose this?

Old 12-19-2012, 12:25 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
I'm glad schools are now considered war zones. How about addressing the root causes of the problem instead of band aid solutions.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
I agree with this. While I have been bashing the loony left for wanting to add more gun regulations, this is insanity.

I think there are better security measures like
-Security bars over windows;
-Bullet proof glass;
-Heavy duty doors;
-An emergency system that has motion sensors at each window and doorway that locks everything down and notifies the police when they are set off;

If the presence of guns is desired, hired thoroughly screened, highly trained and strictly regulated security guards.

The Texas law will take TEACHERS how are already in the classroom, screen them, highly train them and strictly regulate them in the way that Air Marshals are.

This would be vastly less expensive than hiring security guards. And it would provide roughly the same level of protection.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:33 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
You dont support finding well qualified individuals, training them to the level we require law enforcement and placing them in schools for the protection of the most vulnerable among us?

That certainly seems odd.

The Texas bill that was submitted today would require teachers that carry be trained to the level that Air Marshals are trained. You oppose this?
I oppose turning teachers into pseduo law enforcement agents, I oppose turning schools into military type complexes.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:49 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,696,194 times
Teachers carrying in schools should be a no brainer. They have a natural desire to protect their students and they are on site and trainable. It would be a fast effective cost effective solution to increasing security in the schools. Add door and window access modifications to existing structures and problem solved. The local police departments can provide training. All these people are already on the payroll.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
I oppose turning teachers into pseduo law enforcement agents, I oppose turning schools into military type complexes.
I come from a family of educators. Not one of them would agree with you.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:55 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,744 times
That's right! they should make body armor & mossberg's with scopes standard issue requirements for teachers! And not only will that solve the problem of crazed shooters, but it'll take care of unruly dispectful kids too. Paddling is so 20th century!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies