Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 06:29 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
If only Adam's first victim had owned a gun, maybe this attack could have been prevented.
Given his first victims were shoot dead, I think not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 08:19 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
I certainly don't think teachers should be forced to carry guns, but I don't think this is a bad idea. Perhaps during another shooting, though, the perp will just make sure to kill the teacher first.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:59 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
And I agree 100%. This is the most sane common sense approach in a attempt to curb school violence. It is the logical choice. It is a deterrence. You would be leveling the playing field in case a person or persons tried to commit acts of lethal violence on the school grounds. Armed teachers or other school officials could retaliate against the perpetrators and end the violence before irreparable harm could ensue.

Rick Perry: Teachers should have ‘access to weapons in their school’
Rick Perry: Teachers should have ‘access to weapons in their school’

Texas Gov. Rick Perry expressed support for allowing school districts to determine whether teachers can carry concealed handguns in class, which at least one Texas district already permits.

"In the state of Texas, if you go through the process, have been trained, and you are a handgun-licensed individual, you should be able to carry a gun anywhere in the state,"

Bob McDonnell: Consider guns for school officials
Bob McDonnell: Consider guns for school officials - Kevin Cirilli - POLITICO.com

Virginia Gov. McDonnell said during a WTOP radio program today, "I know there's been a knee-jerk reaction against that. If people were armed, not just a police officer but other school officials who were trained and chose to have a weapon, certainly there would have been an opportunity to stop aggressors coming into the schools.

No, it's not a logical choice. Teachers are there to teach...period. They are not there to guard the school. Hire a security guard if you want that protection.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:31 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Given his first victims were shoot dead, I think not.
Woosh

Old 12-20-2012, 11:31 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Seems to me like a great idea to reduce the number of public employees.

There is an old saying that you shouldn't bring a knife to a gun fight, well that you should bring a pistol or a rifle fight. So, unless the govs are going to also allow teachers to wear body armor and keep an M4 in the class room, I can see more teachers getting killed than assailants. And if not by the AR toting mass murderer, then by the police who aren't going to have the slightest idea of who is the guardian angel teacher and who is the crazed gunman, not that they couldn't be both.
Seeing as how you know about guns, train yourself with guns ( like many other civilians do) I would have trust in you if you were a school employee. I have trust in you that with your handgun you would have great odds at stopping a lunatic no matter how heavily he was armed. Some of these lunatics only bring a handgun anyway like VT.

But according to some, you ovcatto , if you were a teacher you might have a bad day and turn on a student.. You know that isn't the case. Something I have seen here in the past few days, anti's site every excuse how someone just couldn't be responsible with a gun. They call gun owners as the kind that live in fear but it seems it is the other way around.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:59 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
If only Adam's first victim had owned a gun, maybe this attack could have been prevented.
Do you mean the one he shot in her sleep? That was his first victim. His mother. She owned all of the guns used in the shooting. This attack would not have happened if there were no guns in that house. You don't leave guns in the house with a mental case that needs to be institutionalized. This whole thing was so preventable, that's what makes it even more sad.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:25 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Default Who cares?

Rick Perry was exposed during the primaries as an utter fool. A babbling, blundering, bungling, blithering, absent-minded, imbecile of a buffoon. Who cares what he thinks?

A more sophisticated solution is required as we live in complex times. The times are far too complex for this Neanderthal.

President Obama is handling this.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:50 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
I can see it now. A heavily-armed lunatic barges into Mrs. Beasley's first grade class. The teacher calmly reaches into her desk and pulls out her Glock 31. She takes aim and readily dispatches the assailant.

Or, more realistically

Adrenaline causes her to start firing wildly, while frightened and panicking children are running all over the classroom--getting caught in the crossfire between the two armed adults.

Or

One of the kids gets a hold of the weapon and takes out some classmates.

The reality is that there is no way to prevent the actions of someone like Adam Lanza. The best we can do is to limit the access these people have to weapons capable of this kind of destruction.
A lunatic like Adam Lanza would have used anything at his disposal. Do you really think that if he couldn't have obtained a firearm that he wouldn't have killed? He probably would have chosen something even more lethal.. If you want to prevent the Adam Lanzas of the world, take a long hard look at how we as a society are raising our young people today. You will never prevent all of the deaths from a lunatic, but, you can start addressing the root problem instead of tilting at windmills.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:53 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Rick Perry was exposed during the primaries as an utter fool. A babbling, blundering, bungling, blithering, absent-minded, imbecile of a buffoon. Who cares what he thinks?

A more sophisticated solution is required as we live in complex times. The times are far too complex for this Neanderthal.

President Obama is handling this.

Yeah President Obama is handling it alright...

Old 12-21-2012, 01:41 AM

28 posts, read 68,580 times
I assume most of the posters here were in Kindergarten decades before there was any real threat of a crazed gunman opening fire in their classroom. We had crossing guards in elementary school to help protect us from traffic. Now there's a discussion about arming teachers to protect students from potential gunmen? Guns are now so prevalent that there's a proposal to arm teachers. How about reducing access to guns? How about reverse-engineering this problem so we can get back to allowing students to be crossing guards and not targets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies