Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 03:31 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
12/21/12

Wayne LaPierre Speech Was A Total Public Relations Disaster, Say PR Experts

"Public relations experts who have experience working with the gun industry expressed horror on Friday afternoon at the National Rifle Association's response to the Newtown, Conn., shootings."

"...could be an irredeemable mistake for the group."

“It was worse than if the NRA had not spoken at all,” said Gene Grabowski, executive vice president of Levick Strategic Communications, a Washington, D.C.-based issues management firm that has worked with firearms manufacturers."
I do not agree. The speech provoked the desired response - fear that Obama is going to take your guns so you better get busy and buy,buy buy more guns and ammo.

If NRA can't make those cash registers ring, they no longer serve a purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post

What I would like to know is the name of the psychiatrist caring for Lanza and just why he either didn't know about the imminent psychological break or didn't act on it. That is the person (other than Lanzas mother) who bears responsibility.
We do not know yet if Adam had ever been diagnosed with anything.
We do not know if he was being treated for anything.
We don't know and likely will never know if Adam had a psychological break.
Most of these massacres are well planned and executed- not sudden snaps.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:45 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Ah; I get it now. Let's just ignore this trend of one shooting cascading on top of another and maybe it will all just go away.

A proliferation of these types of folks with weapns that are that easily influenced to go on a "spree" based on what? Why the fact that we're talking about them of course. What's the solution, ah yes; stop talking about them!

A problem exists of there being too many nutbars with semi-auto weapons access who seem all too ready to opt for their 15 minutes of fame and if we just stop talking about them; they'll all just happily co-operate and remain ensconced within their little bunkers in mommy's basement or sorting mail at the post office and not even think about acting out.

Whatever!
There are many things that can and should be done to cut down on the tragedies like what happened in Ct, but talking about it 24/7 does nothing but give ideas to other nut cases out there. WHy do you think one occurance usually leads to another, but after awhile they go away until another nut decides to get his/her name in the paper and go down in history...

How about controlling what your kids watch on TV, what kind of videos games they are playing, spend quality time with them, teach them responsability, find better ways to identify dangerous mental disorders and treat those who are suffering and stop babying them..Doesn't that make more sense than to continue to dwell on the occurance...??

Old 12-22-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post

There happens to be one other country where it is done and hasn't resulted in dead children. Israel...
Despite being at war for more than 60 years and that it's common for most homes and apartments to have " safe rooms" the per capita gun ownership in Israel is a fraction of the U.S. While schools have armed security, the teachers do not carry.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:

Plus the NRA doesn't really support all gun owners.
NRA supports gun manufacturers.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post

I don't have a lot of problems with what LaPierre did say. I am more troubled by what he left unsaid.
Me too.

Things he might have said include and are not limited to imposing a substantial transfer tax and annual licesing fees to fund armed guards in schools.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:50 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Calm down? You're kidding.

Twenty first graders are dead. They are never coming home. Ever. Their parents just buried them. They will not be here for Christmas. They are not going to see second grade. They are dead because another guy in his 20's was able to get his hands on a home arsenal and murder them while they sat in their classrooms.

Sorry. This is not the time to "calm down". This is the time for people to realize this country is in love with its guns and TWENTY little kids had to pay the price. It's not the time to calm down it's the time to wake the heck up and realize we are burying our future.

Notice it's all the pro-gunners who want everyone to calm down? "Calm down folks your'e too excited and I want another gun!" It's not going to happen. Twenty.Kids.Dead. You can't wish that away because we all know that even without the publicity more mass killings are down the road. What part of twenty kids dead is good? Please. Tell us why people should calm down when TWENTY little kids are dead because the gun lovers want to own a Bushmaster.

BTW: If someone is going to go out and murder people because of the attention Newtown has gotten those are EXACTLY the people who should not be allowed anywhere near a gun. How about we have fewer semi-autos around so the copy cats don't HAVE a gun? Or is your Second Amendment right more important than the right of those kids to grow up? Which is it? Your right to have a gun on the night stand or a 6-year old's right to live? Some of us really want to know. Right now it's looking like the gun owners cherish their guns over our country's children.
No, I am not kidding: let everyone simmer down, let us think rationally and not emotionally. I think most of us are crying inside or out for these kids, teachers, their families etc, but the best way to figure out it ther is a solution isn't panicing, nor demanding total gun control. Do you have any idea how many people, on this thread alone have suggested there whould be no guns period or indicated that? As I have said over and over, I do not own a gun, I have only shot once in my life, so I have no hidden agenda as to why I don't want to see us get carried away..I just think many are reacting emotionally instead of really thinking the issue through. I realize some of you can't see in front of your face. so I guess I am preaching to the choir.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:53 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
Default Wayne LaPierre Is A 'Desperate, Cornered Rat'

His position in this tragedy is desperate at best.............

Lawrence O'Donnell On NRA Presser: Wayne LaPierre Is A 'Desperate, Cornered Rat' - YouTube

Old 12-22-2012, 03:55 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
How exactly does one distinguish a bad from a good guy?
Bad guys always wear black. It's in all the old Westerns.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
That's a misdiagnosis.

The disease is lack of mental healthcare and too many defenseless Americans...
More like a lack of funding.

Then there's that pesky part of what objective criteria can be used to predetermine who might be capable of a massacre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies