Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2012, 01:26 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
What did he do when he was five that would merit being locked away?
Newtown Shooting: The Gunman Who Knew No Pain - Yahoo!

Quote:
"Adam Lanza has been a weird kid since we were five years old," wrote a neighbor and former classmate Timothy Dalton on Twitter. "As horrible as this was, I can't say I am surprised."
Quote:
Kyle Kromberg, another former classmate, said that Lanza could not keep eye contact with anyone.
I'm sure further investigation will reveal that he tortured small animals and was probably also a pyromaniac. We need to be able to identify the sociopaths among us when they are children and keep them away from normal society. Just from what I've read, the mother sounds as though she was a bit of a nutjob herself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 01:28 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
How the hell would I know?

But as for Breitbart.com's motives? No speculation needed. Their motive is make money off of right wing suckers.
Huffington Post and a bunch of other media have picked up the story as well--it originally came from FOX. I wouldn't trust Breitbart if they told me it was dark at midnight, but this is a fairly widely distributed story that they simply repeated.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:38 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,509 times
To little too late. She should have done something when she took him out of public school and started home schooling. Clearly she knew at the time he had problems. But everyone thinks "not my kid" or that they are qualified as mental health professionals. Why she would ever purchase guns and take him to the range is beyond me unless she had a death wish of her own.
This is why I believe public and/or private schools have an obligation to inform someone that a kid has serious mental health issues beside the parents. Since parents either don't see it or want to ignore it I don't see why innocent people
have to be killed because of their child. There should be some Agency setup where this information is passed on so
mental health professionals can make the determination if the child is dangerous or not.
My friend is a NYC teacher and her life has been threatened by a kid in her class, he also threatened to kill the prinicpal and blow up the school. Do you think his parents will do anything - I don't.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:42 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
What I take from that is that she could have talked about having him committed, and this guy heard it second hand from someone else in the congregation, and thought that the papers had been filed, or didn't understand the process. Why are you fixated on this? So what?
You take from the link saying that "she HAD filed paperwork" to mean that she was thinking about filing, or was in the process of filing?

The link is full of maybe, I think, possibly... I don't think we need to add to that crap.

The kid heard from someone (don't know who) that the mother had filed paperwork (which there is no record of) and he thinks this maybe set off Lanza.

I am fixated, because there are no facts in the entire story, and the speculation is running off with some posters.
The WHOLE story is hearsay from someone who heard it from someone else.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:50 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
If the guy was demented enough for his mother to attempt to have him committed, her having these weapons handy makes her as guilty of murder as he is. Just a damn shame he did not end his shooting spree at her head before he turned it on himself. I have seen many lock boxes made specifically for guns online that would have made his access more difficult or impossible. His mother deserved her fate for being an automtatic weapon owning moron, not those innocent children. So as it stands, the owner may not have a history of mental illness, but they just might be stupid and irresponsible enough to not safeguard their weapons from relatives that are lunatics...great! Something must be done, no question.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:55 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Newtown Shooting: The Gunman Who Knew No Pain - Yahoo!

I'm sure further investigation will reveal that he tortured small animals and was probably also a pyromaniac. We need to be able to identify the sociopaths among us when they are children and keep them away from normal society. Just from what I've read, the mother sounds as though she was a bit of a nutjob herself.
This is the rationale behind WITCH HUNTS.

It's irrational and prejudiced and simply wrong.

And how you can be "sure" of anything, when the media reports have been repeatedly wrong on this story, and many of the news outlets are reporting rumors, speculation and hearsay, which all fail journalistic standards, I'm sure I don't know.

Fear is the enemy. Not five year olds who are very smart but socially awkward.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
If the guy was demented enough for his mother to attempt to have him committed, her having these weapons handy makes her as guilty of murder as he is. Just a damn shame he did not end his shooting spree at her head before he turned it on himself. I have seen many lock boxes made specifically for guns online that would have made his access more difficult or impossible. His mother deserved her fate for being an automtatic weapon owning moron, not those innocent children. So as it stands, the owner may not have a history of mental illness, but they just might be stupid and irresponsible enough to not safeguard their weapons from relatives that are lunatics...great! Something must be done, no question.
We don't know that his mother attempted to have him committed. Or that she even considered committing him. We DO know that people are gossiping and speculating and that a lot of the media is irresponsibly reporting this hearsay without any fact-checking, just to keep readers titillated.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
To little too late. She should have done something when she took him out of public school and started home schooling. Clearly she knew at the time he had problems. But everyone thinks "not my kid" or that they are qualified as mental health professionals. Why she would ever purchase guns and take him to the range is beyond me unless she had a death wish of her own.
This is why I believe public and/or private schools have an obligation to inform someone that a kid has serious mental health issues beside the parents. Since parents either don't see it or want to ignore it I don't see why innocent people
have to be killed because of their child. There should be some Agency setup where this information is passed on so
mental health professionals can make the determination if the child is dangerous or not.
My friend is a NYC teacher and her life has been threatened by a kid in her class, he also threatened to kill the prinicpal and blow up the school. Do you think his parents will do anything - I don't.
Clearly she knew he had problems, or she knew she had a gifted child who went on to successfully complete college courses at the age of 16??

Old 12-19-2012, 02:21 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
We don't know that his mother attempted to have him committed. Or that she even considered committing him. We DO know that people are gossiping and speculating and that a lot of the media is irresponsibly reporting this hearsay without any fact-checking, just to keep readers titillated.
Regardless of whether or not this is true, the mother is still responsible for what transpired.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Regardless of whether or not this is true, the mother is still responsible for what transpired.
How so? She had a gun collection. That's all we know. We don't know if she had them locked up; if her son knew where the key was; if he blew off the lock, or if the guns were stored unlocked in a coat closet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies