Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support an executive order to ban assault weapons? If not, would you protest the order in def
Yes, I support an executive order to ban assault weapons 68 32.54%
No, I do not support an executive order to ban assault weapons 51 24.40%
No, I do not support an executive order and will protest Obama's signature if he signs one 90 43.06%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 08:40 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,077,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
to those who vote no, you all have blood on your hands.

What if it was your child in newtown?
b.s. if my child were in newtown, then I'd be asking why a wacko wasn't helped or committed before he acted on his crazy on others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 08:46 AM

14,941 posts, read 8,555,251 times
Quote:
To those who vote no, you all have blood on your hands.

What if it was your child in Newtown?
To those of you so drowning in your self righteousness, to support such an act of despotism would place the blood of a nation on your hands, which you all are already doing such a fine job of now.

You now admit to embracing a dictatorship, where the constitutional republican form of representative government no longer exists, and one pathological liar seizes total power to ignore the laws of our land, and issue kingly edicts in the form of executive orders.

Not only are liberals vitriolic despots at heart, they don't possess the required "shot glass" amount of common sense and wisdom required to understand how such power has NEVER been used for benevolent purpose, but has resulted in the murder of over 200 Million human beings in just the 20th Century alone.

But this time, things would be different.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:47 AM

17,390 posts, read 11,938,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
Question for the Democrats/liberals here.

Do you support Obama signing an executive order to ban assault weapons, even though it means we will not have a say?

If not, will you protest the executive order in defense of your fellow American's right to have a fighting chance regardless of your stance?

I think this is an important question.

Thanks
All you Libs need to remember these executive orders when the next president is a Republican. The shoe will be on the other foot, and you may not like the results.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:54 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,429,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
The gun nuts would probably go ape-sh*t, but I'd personally have no problem with it, even though am otherwise fine with owning firearms. So why the heck does anyone need a flippin' assault rifle anyway, except to take out a crowd of people... you know, single-handedly stage an assault? Or has Bambi started wearing Kevlar these days?
An ar-15 will not penetrate Kevlar. It's a fancy .22

Old 12-19-2012, 08:55 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,431,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Er...conservatives/knee jerks re: ...patriot act, iraq invasion, domestic spying, Guantanamo bay, water boarding, homeland security...just to name a few.

Hyperbole much?
oh please

patriot act..was started by the liberals in the 80's

btw Sen. Leahy....authored the 1994 Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act.....Leahy also had introduced significant portions of the Patriot Act under the name Enhancement of Privacy and Public Safety in Cyberspace Act (PDF) a year before the patriot act was introduced

In 1994, President Clinton Expanded The Use Of Warrantless Searches To Entirely Domestic Situations With No Foreign Intelligence Value Whatsoever. In A Radio Address Promoting A Crime- Fighting Bill, Mr. Clinton Discussed A New Policy To Conduct Warrantless (to include emails)Searches In Highly Violent Public Housing Projects." (Charles Hurt, "'Warrantless' Searches Not Unprecedented," The Washington Times, 12/22/05)

gitmo (the prison not the base) was opened by....clinton

Old 12-19-2012, 09:38 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,695,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
No.

My son is an adult in his 30's. He is a gun enthusiast but not a hunter. By the time he was born, I had quit hunting pretty much. We went out bird hunting a couple of times and that was it. He didn't grow up in the same hunting culture I did. His idea of fun is to go out to his great-uncle's home in the woods, set up some targets and fill the sky with lead shot from an assault rifle. For him, the whole thing is the noise, the smoke and the bang-bang-bang.

My son hasn't killed anything with his guns but some tin cans and paper targets, but he's burned up at least 50 boxes of ammunition. (I honestly don't know how much- it's a lot.) I have killed about a half dozen deer and elk and over 20 game birds with my guns, and I have purchased less than 5 boxes of ammunition in total for my single rifle and single shotgun.

I learned to shoot with a .22 rifle borrowed from my grandfather, and I did go through several boxes of .22 shells. I sometimes carried a borrowed pistol when hunting, sometimes not. I have only owned 2 sporting guns in my lifetime, a rifle and a shotgun. My son has owned at least a dozen, all combat style weapons- shotguns, rifles and pistols.

I think his use of guns is both wasteful and incredibly stupid. He says he can't use his guns like I did because he can't afford to go on hunting trips; can't take the time off from work, can't afford the gas and other expenses, and doesn't know how or what to do with a deer if he shot it. He thinks it's stupid to go trudge around the boonies all day and come back empty-handed.

And there it is. My son is a well adjusted person. He has no interest in carrying a gun all the time, believes that the world as we know it is not going to end anytime soon, voted for Obama twice, and doesn't run around with only fellow gun nuts. He locks his weapons up when not using them, and has no children, so I'm not worried about accidents.

I see his general attitude toward guns to be about two steps away from a crazy mass shooter. Shooting is not a life and death thing for him mentally. He thinks I'm out of it and far too old-fashioned. I have seen lots of blood and guts, and some of my game suffered before dying. He's never seen any of that. The closest thing he's gotten to is shredded paper. He doesn't understand how easy it all is for him to pull the trigger.

And that's what needs to change. My son is one of millions who have a big disconnect between the real purpose of any gun and the bang-bang, shoot 'em up. I'm not saying that killing animals is good. All I'm saying is a way has to be found to make idle shooting have some kind of consequences deeper than shredding paper or killing a tin can.
My gramps taught me to shoot like this. Plenty of tin cans and targets. I started off with a .22 and worked my way up to a .357. He also taught me to shoot with a 16ga shotgun and .35 Remington lever action, that was fun. I went hunting with him while I was still in high school and there were times where we spent all day in the boonies and had nothing to show for it but a squirrel. The first squirrel I ever got I didn't kill the first time and had to shoot it again (fast little buggers). Didn't do that again either, I learned right quick to kill it the first time around. I have friends that target shoot only though, have never been hunting.

I shoot now mostly for sport, I bought my AR for longer range target practice. I hope I never have to use it in self defense, but if so...so be it. Otherwise, it's good for an afternoon at the range practicing to see how good I really am (which isn't all that great yet).

Old 12-22-2012, 10:49 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,169,069 times
Quote:
To those who vote no, you all have blood on your hands.

What if it was your child in Newtown?

I would have blamed the murderer, not the tool. do you blame the drunk driver or the car they drive?

Old 12-24-2012, 04:32 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,673,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
No. It's not a national emergency. It's a sensationalized and exploited tragedy to promote a long standing, orwellian agenda.

Any and all means, huh?
Sensationalized? Did I really read that tasteless remark? The sociopathology of the gun nuts is simply breathtaking.

Those are rhetorical questions, by the way. Don't waste your time answering because I've built a whole new wing onto my ignore list for those aiding and abetting our fast growing national gun crisis.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:20 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,097,852 times
No but I do support a Congressional ban on assault weapons and high capacity magazine clips.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:25 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,917,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
What's an assault weapon, and how do you define a liberal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies