Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 06:20 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Link isn't working. Was it declining before the ban? There are many reasons why crime may increase of decrease.

Correlation != Causation. Past that, without even being able to look at the study, not much can be said.
How come I never have trouble finding links and info when I need it, but you are utterly incapable of finding any? If the link didn't work, then why not just look up Australian Institute of Criminology if you are interested. Anyone who is not interested wil lsay what you just said.

http://www.aic.gov.au/documents/0/B/...%7Dfacts11.pdf

Also,
http://www.factcheck.org/2009/05/gun-control-in-australia/

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 12-20-2012 at 06:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 06:44 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,094 times
The thing is emotion comes into play. Its hard to say but I want my semi auto rifle when people are watching small wood boxes go into the ground. You can have all the facts, and stats, and as Mark Twain used to say, there are lies, damn lies and statistics. What he meant was you can twist Numbers to support a weak argument.

I am not saying I am for baning semi autos, but some gun regulation is just common sense. I would have said two weeks ago no way no how is anything going to be done about guns. But now its not so sure thats the case. I still think its an up hill slogg but when ground closes so much so fast one has to stop for a min.

If we ban semi auto rifles, I know as sure as I sit here that the next mass shooting will be done with a semi auto hand gun. I also know that there will be a push to ban them. Will it stop there? I doubt it and this is the slippery slope that many gun owners are scared of. It keeps many who would otherwise join the ban the semi auto ARs and AKs band wagon.

To me the stats can show that baning does little and it can show they do a lot to stop violence. Stats are like expert testimony, you have experts on every side of every issue and it means little. You have to think on it with common sense and push out emotion. Its hard but that is the only way you can make any sense of it.

Will baning semi autos stop crime? No but will selling them without any checks to anyone who can crawl up to the counter and plop down the cash? NO so there has to be some middle way to make them harder to access and still available to people who pose no threat to the public.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:01 AM

I think two common sense things could be done:

1. Remove the gun show loophole

2. Require all firearms to be registered to the owner

That's it. Nothing more.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:07 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I think two common sense things could be done:

1. Remove the gun show loophole

2. Require all firearms to be registered to the owner

That's it. Nothing more.
Registration is the prelude to confiscation. If they know exactly who owns a weapon it's easy to come after them.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Registration is the prelude to confiscation. If they know exactly who owns a weapon it's easy to come after them.
That's your opinon, and I do not agree. All my guns, except for one, are registered.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:14 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,459,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Slippery slope arguments have been proven time and time again to be wrong and downright nutty.

If you can't make the case without fallacies then you have no basis for your argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies