Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 05:34 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Lol. Boy lots of generalizations you've got going there. And a lot of dancing of the Superiority Dance.

So to be gleaned from your post ... All Australians are perfect. All Americans are evil.
No I am also an American. I'm sick of the AMERICAN Superiority Dance. Where did I say all Aussies are perfect. But there's way too many of these 'America is perfect at all things" posts on CD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 08:44 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Which field have you been gleaning in? He didn't say that at all.
Well, let's see:
Quote:
Trust me, here in Oz, we don't lose sleep over the thought of the Almighty US "protecting" us from the Chinese. You americans really need to get over yourselves, and maybe focus on solving the many problems within your borders. No one is in any position to want to attack and harm the aussies at all. Maybe that's because we don't go around acting like we are the biggest, and baddest on the planet. We focus more on keeping Australia great, and that means caring for its people, not policing the world
Sure sounded like it to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I guess you missed the part where he was responding to an American post (#68) purporting to claim Aussies don't get involved in anything because they rely upon the U.S. to protect them.

You'd save yourself some angst if you'd firstly critique your own U.S. citizen who displayed the tendencies you've erroneously ascribed to a respondent from Aus.
It is not my responsibility to read each and every one of any poster's posts in order to respond. I responded to ONE post, and the impression it left me with. Nor is it my responsibility to respond to every post with which I have issue.

And please, stop this idiotic us vs. you nonsense. We're all citizens of the world. Every country has good and bad. That's what irks me about all the Superiority Dancing. By anyone. It smacks of needing to bolster an inferiority complex.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:52 AM

724 posts, read 593,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
36 murders over 12 years in a city of several million? Even a small city like Portland that's considered fairly safe in the US gets more murders than that in under 2 years...
That was seriously the dumbest usage of stats i think i've seen on here. what are you gonna do? Gun advocate or not, there is NO DENYING the numbers in Australia, the gun ban has worked. That doesn't necessarily mean its going to work in the US. Considering how scary the government seems, especially the highly militarized police here, I am on the fence as to wither or not I want to hand over the right to bear arms so willingly. I'm very divided about it, to be perfectly honest.

Last edited by Rafo1981; 01-06-2014 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: spelling goof

Old 01-06-2014, 12:46 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
So? Want to cherry pick any other meaningless data?

Boise has about 1 / year with a population of 213,303, Melbourne has 8 times the murder rate per 100,000 people. Looks like more guns is making Boise far safer.
Law abiding citizens in Boise have the right to carry firearms to protect themselves from home invaders, sexual predators, serial killers, and murderers....something innocent people in Melbourne do not have. Liberals seem to think laws will stop bad people from committing crimes and the truth is that bad people are bad and me giving up my liberty isn't going to stop them from killing people.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:32 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Well, let's see:

Sure sounded like it to me.

It is not my responsibility to read each and every one of any poster's posts in order to respond. I responded to ONE post, and the impression it left me with. Nor is it my responsibility to respond to every post with which I have issue.

And please, stop this idiotic us vs. you nonsense. We're all citizens of the world. Every country has good and bad. That's what irks me about all the Superiority Dancing. By anyone. It smacks of needing to bolster an inferiority complex.

Show me where I said "All Aussies great, All Americans evil"

Old 01-06-2014, 04:39 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
These are the words of the prime minister of Australia after a shooter used a semi auto to shoot 35 people. The gun ban of 1996 after going into affect there has been no mass shootings in that country since. You tell me if it works.
Looks like fire is the weapon of choice there now. What a vast improvement.

You tell me which is worse:
  • a few bullets less than a quarter inch in diameter flying around for a few seconds, most of which will probably end up in the walls, or
  • a fire that destroys life and property indiscriminately, and has the potential to spread across hundreds or thousands of acres and destroy countless homes, businesses and lives, long after the criminal that started it has fled or died
Yeah, they're MUCH better off now.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:40 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
These are the words of the prime minister of Australia after a shooter used a semi auto to shoot 35 people. The gun ban of 1996 after going into affect there has been no mass shootings in that country since. You tell me if it works.
Only certain people in Australia had legal gun ownership prior to the ban and they had virtually zero gun manufacturing. "In a classification of the world's small, medium and major firearm manufacturers, Australia is ranked 'small'"

They do not have "The right to bear arms" in their constitution.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:43 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
No I am also an American. I'm sick of the AMERICAN Superiority Dance. Where did I say all Aussies are perfect. But there's way too many of these 'America is perfect at all things" posts on CD
Have you ever heard "The Australian Dream"? How about "The Norwegian Dream"? The "German Dream"?

America is superior to all other nations because of the term "We the People".

Millions still run TO America because of "The American Dream".

Old 01-06-2014, 04:47 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Trust me, here in Oz, we don't lose sleep over the thought of the Almighty US "protecting" us from the Chinese. You americans really need to get over yourselves, and maybe focus on solving the many problems within your borders. No one is in any position to want to attack and harm the aussies at all. Maybe that's because we don't go around acting like we are the biggest, and baddest on the planet. We focus more on keeping Australia great, and that means caring for its people, not policing the world
We don't care about our people? yea lets just ignore the record breaking decline in crime in American cities

Old 01-06-2014, 07:04 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Show me where I said "All Aussies great, All Americans evil"
He cannot and has further served notice he reserves the right to cherry pick the "we're number one" posts he'll respond and then proceeds to tell us all he dislikes the superior attitude from whatever quarter it comes from as it must surely emanate from an inferiority complex which would have led him right back to post number #68 by an American that he chose not to read and respond to. Whew!

Nothing like having your "we're number one" and eating it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies