U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 02:50 PM

35,604 posts, read 21,925,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
I just bought 4 more 30-round magazines. I'll be sure to let you know how many people I kill with them.
What are the going for today?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 02:51 PM

1,137 posts, read 908,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Irrelevant, though a really catchy motto for the NRA.

Are you trying to actually tell me that guns were designed to fire a projectile merely into space? What a silly invention!

Guns are designed to fire a projectile period, not at any particular object.

You are blaming an inanimate object for the actions of its human operator.

Are cars designed to mow people down in the street? No. That is a choice made by its human operator.

Are hammers designed to cave in skulls? No. They are made to hammer things, now whether its a skull, or a nail is determined by its human operator.

You seem to have an irrational fear of an inanimate object, and not the person wielding it. LOL.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:09 PM

32,524 posts, read 33,831,009 times
I take it "knee jerk reaction" is the latest talking-point buzz phrase being sent around by the gun lobby to label people with.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:39 PM

14,372 posts, read 8,962,065 times
Quote:
Thank you for proving my point. They are made to KILL people, not wound, who are attacking you. And thanks again for relieving my mind that my daughters might survive the next gun massacre!

And finally, they are not made for target shooting. That's something gun nuts do with weapons designed to kill, but that doesn't mean that's why they were invented. And as for collecting ... don't even get me started about people who collect machines whose original and continued purpose is to kill. There are simply no words.
You believe that anyone who owns a gun (excluding military and police) is a nut, right?

Statistics indicate 180 children were killed by firearms in 2010, most shot at home. The CDC breakdown: 41 deaths were classified as unintentional, 127 as homicide, four as suicide, and eight from an undetermined intent.

Scores of kids killed at home, out of national spotlight

Consider there are 74,000,000 children in the US. The odds of any child being killed by a gun (in school) are similar to winning the lottery.

-3,300 children die from asthma each year while in school.
-134 die each year in the US while being driven to school.
-152,250 children are injured in school each year, resulting in 4,400 deaths

If I were you, I'd worry about your chidlren surviving school itself, much more than a shooter. I got three children through school myself, and I don't ever remember wondering if they'd be shot on any given day.

-2000 children die each year from abuse, like being beaten with fists or shake trauma.

Fists on children should be banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I take it "knee jerk reaction" is the latest talking-point buzz phrase being sent around by the gun lobby to label people with.
Latest? I'm sure it's been the SOP of every anti-gun wacko to be a knee-jerk reactionary for decades now. We all knew what the outcry to this tragedy would be, and who they would blame; and sure enough...

Last edited by steven_h; 12-19-2012 at 04:01 PM..

Old 12-19-2012, 03:53 PM

5,563 posts, read 3,951,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That depends where you aim it. It is up to the person being ATTACKED to decide the best course, as it should be. I'm sure you would have no problem with your wife or daughter using a Death Machine to defend herself against a rapist or killer. They could aim for the leg and it would be a Wound Machine.
Well, my husband has a rifle, but I don't even know where it is and don't want to, nor is it in the house where someone could get hurt. I have armed my daughters with pepper spray, because 1. I know perfectly well that most people, including probably you, completely freeze in a panic situation and the gun can then be turned against them, even if they don't manage to harm innocent bystanders, and more importantly 2. even if it's stolen from them, it will never kill anyone.

Oh, and 3., I'm not a paranoid idiot who imagines hordes of killers waiting around the corner and under beds, and the government about to go all tyrannical on us tomorrow.

Like I said, we ALL know that guns are INTENDED to kill. Whatever little games you kids play with them to convince yourselves they're perfectly benign are simply afterthoughts.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
You believe that anyone who owns a gun (excluding military and police) is a nut, right?
Mostly, yes. Other than hunting -- which I hate, but which is a least a semi-logical use for weapons of death -- there is no good reason to own machines designed to kill. I don't believe in your paranoid fantasies of armed killers lurking under beds and the government ready to strike with black helicopters.

Quote:
-2000 children die each year from abuse, like being beaten with fists or shake trauma.

Fists on children should be banned
They are. Since some people do it anyway, should we make it legal and insist that everyone beat their children, join clubs to do it, hang out with their friends to do it, and go on Internet forums to defend their right to do it?

Really, there is no logic for gun nuts. All I can do at present is hope the next massacre (which is due any day now, on our current schedule) isn't in Connecticut again, since I live 15 minutes away from Newtown. Great weapon, hope. But that's all the gun nuts want me to have.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
Guns are designed to fire a projectile period, not at any particular object.
Ahahahahahaha, even you don't believe that. Just because you nuts have developed ways to play with weapons, doesn't mean they were invented for that.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:01 PM

2,665 posts, read 2,414,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
What are the going for today?
I got them for $19.99. A bit higher than "normal", but much better than the price-gougers over at cheaper than dirt, they were charging $60. I will never shop there again.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:06 PM

2,665 posts, read 2,414,127 times
Quote:
Mostly, yes. Other than hunting -- which I hate, but which is a least a semi-logical use for weapons of death -- there is no good reason to own machines designed to kill. I don't believe in your paranoid fantasies of armed killers lurking under beds and the government ready to strike with black helicopters.
One of my best friends is alive today because he was armed. His wife didn't get raped because he was armed. And he didn't even need to fire his weapon.

That is fact. Not fantasy.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:08 PM

6,500 posts, read 5,566,942 times
Guns arent the problem, and its infuriating to see the media and the left use this horrible incident to push their agenda. They are also not being upfront and honest to the American people.

Normal citizens just cant go and get machine guns or military weapons. There is a reason the ones civilians can get legally are called military STYLE. Its a style, as in not really military grade. If we allow the Government to take action to ban a semi-automatic rifle, semi-automatic pistols will be next. Sorry, but criminals will always have ways to get a hold of these weapons. I am not going to give up my right to a semi-automatic weapon. That gives the criminals a clear upper hand if we are to be limited to single action and have to manually reload after each shot.

We have every right to protect ourselves and our families. We can not allow the government to ban any current legal weapons. You know damn well, if they are allowed to take just one step, theyll certainly take another.

Focus more on society, entertainment, parenting, mental health. Taking away of rights is NOT the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies