U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 04:17 PM

14,372 posts, read 8,997,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
One of my best friends is alive today because he was armed. His wife didn't get raped because he was armed. And he didn't even need to fire his weapon.

That is fact. Not fantasy.
You're just going to confuse her/him with facts. They don't believe there is a need for self-defense.

The new survey, conducted by random telephone sampling shows that American civilians use their firearms as often as 2.5 million times every year defending against a confrontation with a criminal, and that handguns alone account for up to 1.9 million defenses per year. - Gary Kleck, Ph.D. is a professor in the School of Criminology and Criminal Justice at Florida State University in Tallahassee

and

According to the authors of Cato’s recently released study on how often guns are used by citizens to prevent crime, “tens of thousands of crimes are prevented each year by ordinary citizens with guns.” In a study of more than 5,000 news reports over an eight-year period, Clayton Cramer and David Burnett showed that the mere presence of an armed citizen thwarts many crimes, even beyond those that are reported by the police and subsequently printed in the newspaper.
Guns Used in Self-defense

and

The estimated numbers are all over the lot, but they suggest that Americans actually pull the trigger on some 60,000 predatory criminals every year. Most of those shots seem to be warning shots, since only about 10,000 criminals are wounded each year. And between 15 and 20 percent of the wounded are killed. It is notable that predatory criminals who survive an “encounter” with an armed citizen have a very low recidivism rate.
HOW MANY CRIMES DO AMERICAN GUNS PREVENT EVERY YEAR? | Extrano's Alley, a gun blog

Those who do not survive, never commit a crime again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 04:25 PM

2,665 posts, read 2,423,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
The estimated numbers are all over the lot, but they suggest that Americans actually pull the trigger on some 60,000 predatory criminals every year. Most of those shots seem to be warning shots, since only about 10,000 criminals are wounded each year. And between 15 and 20 percent of the wounded are killed. It is notable that predatory criminals who survive an “encounter” with an armed citizen have a very low recidivism rate.
Eh, I was taught you don't give a warning shot, and if you shoot, you shoot to kill. Sounds like we need to work on our aim.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:35 PM

32,524 posts, read 33,999,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

Latest? I'm sure it's been the SOP of every anti-gun wacko to be a knee-jerk reactionary for decades now. We all knew what the outcry to this tragedy would be, and who they would blame; and sure enough...
I take it you are referring to all the anti-gun wackos who are sick and tired of innocent people being murdered because someone decided an at-home arsenal was something they just had to have.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:45 PM

17,824 posts, read 21,774,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I wonder if any of these panicked people have ever tried to use a fully automatic machine gun. I'll bet they have not. The only one I used in 'Nam was the Browning .50 cal. on a solid mount. Even on the mount that was not all that easy to keep on target. None the less it did its job and did it well. BTW - That gun did not have a semi auto mode. It was always full Rock n Roll.
I have fired several types of machine guns and machine pistols, and had professional training on two - the Browning M2, and the M60E1. I also have experience with the M1918 BAR, M249 SAW, German MG 42, and the machine pistols MAC-10, and Israeli Uzi. Other than the M-16, my primary weapon in the Marine Corps was the M60E1.

The only way to keep on target was to fire short, controlled bursts of between three and five rounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies