Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 01:11 PM

10,582 posts, read 9,764,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
So that when some whacko goes into, say, an elementary school with lots of people there (children, teachers, janitors, principal, visiting parents etc.) with the intent of shooting a few dozen children, he won't know which adults are armed.

But if concealed carry is allowed for all responsible adults, he'll know that, even while most adults don't bother carrying, a few will. And so he'll know that he won't have free rein to take his time and methodically shoot child after child - he'll quickly have to deal with an adult or two shooting at HIM. And he won't be able to know who it will be, maybe until the bullet hits him. He won't be able to take out those few armed adults before shooting the children - because he won't know which ones they are.

The whacko isn't afraid of dying. Many of them take their own lives. But they DO want to know there will be blazing headlines after he's gone, weeks of handwringing, tons of wailing and crying... as we are doing today.

And he knows that, if he goes to a place where concealed carry is freely allowed for all responsible adults, even though most are not armed, a few will be. And he won't be able to rack up the terrifying body count he wants to create the lurid headlines, and so his scheme will fail.

And he might even decide because of that, not to try it in the first place.

Anything else I can help you with?
The gun-haters, of course, have been doing their best to make everybody terrified of guns, so that the mere sight of someone with a gun (even in a holster as the OP describes) will cause them to lock down entire schools, phone the police in hysterical fear, etc. This, though not a "good" reason, is one of the reasons why Concealed Carry is needed.

Concealment from the bad guys, is the principle reason, though, as I described above. The gun's deterrent effect on a murderer is much higher if the murderer doesn't know who's carrying, but is pretty sure somebody is, nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 01:17 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,666,975 times
So why do people need undercover security? I mean why can't they just walk around with their guns around their necks? Pffttt why are air Marshall's not easily identifiable? What do they have to hide?

What you have to realize is that someone who is carrying concealed does so to protect her/himself and others around them in case **** hits the fan. They need that element of surprise much like criminals... Except that law abiding gun owners are not out to harm others. Criminals usually don't expect to walk into an Internet cafe for example (like the incident in Ocala FL) and be confronted by an armed citizen.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:21 PM

10,582 posts, read 9,764,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
So why do people need undercover security? I mean why can't they just walk around with their guns around their necks? Pffttt why are air Marshall's not easily identifiable? What do they have to hide?

What you have to realize is that someone who is carrying concealed does so to protect her/himself and others around them in case **** hits the fan. They need that element of surprise much like criminals... Except that law abiding gun owners are not out to harm others.
No, the gun-haters DON'T need to realize that.

In fact, their entire agenda depends on people not realizing that.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:31 PM

6,392 posts, read 5,158,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Owning a gun doesn't mean you are courageous
Never said it did. I suggested what I did in the interest of the bedwetters who would freak out that someone was walking about armed.

Originally Posted by Darkatt
Because some people freak out when they see someone armed. To prevent an epidemic of soiled trousers and/or undergarments, CCP is preferred.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:00 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,983,247 times
Quote:
Hmmm because who do you think will be the first person shot when a crime is about to be committed by someone else?

Use that thing in your head you know... Your Brain!!!

While I'm using my brain how about you look up manners in the dictionary. Your comments in this post and others are just plain rude.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:02 PM

14,293 posts, read 9,658,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Can someone explain to me why people have the right to carry a concealed weapon but not show they have one? Why not carry in open view? What is the logic behind concealing it? Would it be safer if it was in plain view?

What about the old days when people used to wear holsters all in plain view? What if we went back to that?
I suppose the thinking is it open carrying may worry some people and antagonize others. <shrug>

Old 12-19-2012, 03:14 PM

46,213 posts, read 26,974,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Owning a gun doesn't mean you are courageous
By the left, it means you are scared and have a small penis....

Old 12-19-2012, 03:37 PM

39,809 posts, read 26,399,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
By the left, it means you are scared and have a small penis....
Seems like you're quite the expert of small penises. I hear that there is a pill for that.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:48 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,973,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
But that distinction is practically irrelevant given that permit holders have a crime rate substantially lower than the general population.

This whole idea that it's more dangerous for people to not know you have a gun ignores the fact that criminals don't care if they're supposed to have a permit to conceal.
Since your comment has no bearing on mine, I will let it stand with no further comment.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:51 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,973,244 times
Quote:
The fact that they are air marshalls? Duh!

There is like a tactical advantage if bad people don't know who you are. You know surprise and stuff like that

If only the right to have a gun required that you had a brain to go with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies