Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 02:41 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Teachers are there to teach air marshals are there to be air marshals. Now if you were talking about school resource officers and expanding that program I would be 100% with you since they are basically the school version of air marshals.
That's fine as well. Just thought having special teachers rotating around would also help as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 02:42 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,262,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
The best responses are always personal attacks.
How an attack? I sincerely hope that, and it was politely stated, too. And perhaps you don't want any children, either. How would I know?

Old 12-19-2012, 02:44 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
If someone doesn't know the difference between an air marshal and a teacher, their teacher wasn't teaching
Ding, ding, correct answer.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:45 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
Probably the same reason they added air marshalls to flights rather than arming the flight attendants. If they armed flight attendants it would probably create more security problems than it would solve.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:46 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Trick question?

I think it has to do with the fact that teachers are paid and trained to develop curricula and teach the children in their care, whereas air marshals are trained and paid to evaluate and eliminate lethal threats in a tightly controlled environment.

Air marshals are law enforcement officers, whereas teachers are not law enforcement officers but professional educators.

1,487 posts, read 1,707,417 times
Can someone tell me why they didn't use teachers instead of Seal Team 6 to take out Bin Laden?

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
We experienced 9/11, and one of the solutions was to randomly place armed people on each flight to deter subsequent hijackings.

Why is arming teachers and randomly placing them throughout schools in a district and properly training them in gun use and basic tactics (basically, half-cop/half-teacher) considered so extreme? I think randomly arming teachers might not be too good of idea, but to create a new type of cop: half teacher/half cop is certainly something to think about.
Air Marshalls don't have to teach children, they are trained Police Officers

Old 12-19-2012, 02:47 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Winner winner chicken dinner!

My dad spent 40 years in a public high school, the last 15 years as an assistant principal. My mom is still teaching in a kindergarten classroom. Both shake their heads at the idea of arming teachers and administrators. Teaching is already one of the most stressful jobs, arming them is a recipe for tragedy with no guarantee it'll stop the next mass school shooting. Furthermore, with budget cuts and low test scores, the last thing we need to be doing is diverting teachers from lesson planning, grading, graduate studies in order to provide them the extensive training (including yearly refresher courses) on gun safety/crisis management/range practice/mental health reviews/etc.
And a small school in Texas has had armed teachers since 2006. Number of problems? 0!

Texas school district encourages armed teachers for protection - CBS News

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
If you conservatives are serious about protection in schools, then let's raise taxes to fund permanent qualified and trained military/police guards in schools, which is what they do in Israel. As it is today, we can't even fund the teachers' jobs, much less anything else. Now you're going to ask them to educate your kids for peanuts AND play police officer on demand? Get a clue, you people.

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Zing!

(Actually, that's the sound of your irony going right over the gun fondlers' heads. )
I think you mean over the anti-gunners heads....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies