Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 08:58 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Throw the bums out of your basement/their room, helicopter parents. It's bad enough you hovered over them as children and told them their self esteem was more important than learning how to compete in the real world. Too bad if they have to get an apartment with 4 other guys to pay the rent and eat soup 5 times a weak. Eventually, they'll better themselves. Didn't you?

They aren't going to get a job if they don't have to pay the rent, pay utilities, put food on the table or pay for their own insurance...and that goes for your daughters, too.
If they don't want to live like that, maybe they will have to move to a city thats less "cool." All the young people want to move to the liberal/hipster hot spots (Portland, Seattle, Austin, San Francisco) but those are the places is absolutely the most difficult to find a job unless you are the best and the brightest and they end up living with several roommates in a small apartmentm $50k+ in debt and working a part time service job. I have several friends from college who did just that.

I wouldn't really say young people are lazy. It's just their priorities are very different from previous generations. I would say they are probably the most media-influenced generation in American history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 08:58 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,671,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
I think these men are just confused, especially the older ones who haven't achieved independence or aren't dating and so forth but in modern America many will get left out as women are only after alpha males...
This categorization schema has got to stop.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:59 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
I was talking to you. Cut them off. All of them.
Otherwise guys thinking like "women are the downfall of humanity" or whatever terminology he used, they won't ever go away.

I favor disparate but equal, btw.
Oh, sorry. That's what's interesting about the net, everyone has a voice. But, they don't have a voice in my world offline because they don't exist in that space. I agree with the bolded. It's absolutely the case.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
You people blame society's problems on humans, but it's not okay for humans to blame some resources on you people. I got now.
I'm not sure what you mean here. Again, feminism is a result, or a natural occurrence that takes place as a society becomes civilized, better educated, socially evolved. It's not a cause, so it doesn't make sense to blame.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:08 PM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I'm not sure what you mean here. Again, feminism is a result, or a natural occurrence that takes place as a society becomes civilized, better educated, socially evolved. It's not a cause, so it doesn't make sense to blame.
When men aren't excelling how they uses too its gonna be some blame. As I stated before modern day feminism and conservative men don't mix too well and will be a issue, as society puts more pressure on people to keep up and most men can't this will be more spoken of. These mass killers are social loners....

Finding the medium is hard, men aren't used to what's going on now with women, blue collar America is on its knees, these issues mostly affect men, it's still plenty of women that live basically off his income while saving her income but when most men aren't able to provide its really gonna get nasty out there.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
When men aren't excelling how they uses too its gonna be some blame. As I stated before modern day feminism and conservative men don't mix too well and will be a issue, as society puts more pressure on people to keep up and most men can't this will be more spoken of. These mass killers are social loners....
What I wonder is if there is just not a place for these men any more. I don't mean necessarily about women, but in what they produce. Our society has become so technologically advanced that mediocre anything just isn't going to deliver much. Couple this with the influence of TV and the internet and it makes it hard for people. People are such consumers. People want stuff, they want to be entertained, they want to be satiated, and everybody having it all is not sustainable. It just cannot work. For the few that are to be rich, many have to be poor. I don't think women are the answer to this. I think it's a deep spiritual problem that cannot be fixed by anyone but ourselves.
Quote:
Finding the medium is hard, men aren't used to what's going on now with women, blue collar America is on its knees, these issues mostly affect men, it's still plenty of women that live basically off his income while saving her income but when most men aren't able to provide its really gonna get nasty out there.
Many men are living off her income as well these days. A majority of couples in my world have women out-earning their spouses. Of course, these are all well off couples so I'm speaking of her earning in the low to med six figures and him earning 70-80k or more. The issues arise at the lower financial end. People want certain life styles and just don't earn the money for it, but they really do earn enough to survive. I look at my own crap (cell phones, cable, internet, car payments, etc) and we don't need any of it. I didn't have any of that in the 90s. I lived in circus tents have the time and was just fine. The more I think about it the more consumerism makes sense as a culprit, at least partially.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:20 PM

32,067 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
We have raised an entire generation of young males that don't know how to be men, and many of them feel completely lost. Sometimes they feel so lost that they "snap" in very destructive ways.
Adam Lanza and James Holmes are two names that come to mind. Why is it that mass murderers are almost always young men? Why don't young women behave the same way? Sadly, Adam Lanza and James Holmes are just the tip of the iceberg of a much larger problem in our society.

Our young women vastly outperform our young men in almost every important statistical category. Young men are much more likely to perform poorly in school, they are much more likely to have disciplinary problems and they are much more likely to commit suicide.

In the old days, our young men would gather in the streets or in the parks to play with one another after school, but today most of them are content to spend countless hours feeding their addictions to video games, movies and other forms of entertainment.

When our young men grow up, many of them are extremely averse to taking on responsibility. They want to have lots of sex, but they aren't interested in marriage.

They enjoy the comforts of living at home, but they don't want to go out and pursue career goals so that they can provide those things for themselves. Our young men are supposed to be "the leaders of tomorrow", but instead many of them are a major burden on society. When are we finally going to admit that something has gone horribly wrong?

There is even a name for this generation of young men that does not want to grow up. It is called the "Peter Pan generation". They want to enjoy the benefits of being grown up without ever taking on the responsibilities.

22 Stats That Prove That There Is Something Seriously Wrong With Young Men In America

That is such BS. How exactly are young men in this generation so lost that they feel the need to snap. In the old days there was no technology. You had nothing to do but to go outside to entertain yourself. That's just not the case anymore. Every decade there is more technology introduced into our society....the radio, the TV. These days it's video games, iphones and computers. Why is it that you consider young men to be the leaders of tomorrow when girls are just as qualified. I honestly don't know anyone who wants to live at home. They want to be out in the world making money and living away from their parents. I guess we just know different kids.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:59 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
I'm 22 and don't want children and don't want to get married anytime soon. I guess that means I'm a failure as a male. -___- The decline in married and children has been a long time coming. I don't need to get married or have kids to be happy or want to deal with either yet.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:18 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
I'm not a man? lol
I wish I were more of a man.
One of my biggest regrets is that I never became an ultimate man.
I settled.
Ultimate man? Internet Warrior.

Real men live and prosper within their present society. Not something rendered from fantasy.(or the now irrelevant past)

Last edited by Felix C; 12-21-2012 at 07:33 AM..

Old 12-21-2012, 08:20 AM

4 posts, read 6,590 times
Specificaly these stats have nothing to do with things that go rong in boys...
3 The average American girl spends 5 hours a week playing video games. The average American boy spends 13 hours a week playing video games.
#4 The average young American will spend 10,000 hours playing video games before the age of 21.
#5 One study discovered that 88 percent of all Americans between the ages of 8 and 18 play video games, and that video game addiction is approximately four times as common among boys as it is among girls.

You could also find stats that boys do more exercise than boys so solution wold be less activity?
Boys cold see the same bad things in regular T.V. Actually the T.V. is even worst because it is more graffic not cartonish and it dosent have ERSB ratings like games do.
There was and there is addicction to T.V. as well because my mother spends = or even more time than I do in front of a screen.
I play video games every day (and I cold find evidence that it helps in problem solving skills but i dont have time for that right now) but im a cristian so I know the diffrence between fantasy and real life. I married at 22 have a chiled and live away from my parents and coldent kill an ant without remorse. All depends on the parents what type of games they buy for them and how much time they watch the screen be either regular t.v or games.

Last edited by Theobjectiveguy; 12-21-2012 at 08:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies