Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 02:36 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,809,609 times

Advertisements

We have raised an entire generation of young males that don't know how to be men, and many of them feel completely lost. Sometimes they feel so lost that they "snap" in very destructive ways. Adam Lanza and James Holmes are two names that come to mind. Why is it that mass murderers are almost always young men? Why don't young women behave the same way? Sadly, Adam Lanza and James Holmes are just the tip of the iceberg of a much larger problem in our society.

Our young women vastly outperform our young men in almost every important statistical category. Young men are much more likely to perform poorly in school, they are much more likely to have disciplinary problems and they are much more likely to commit suicide.

In the old days, our young men would gather in the streets or in the parks to play with one another after school, but today most of them are content to spend countless hours feeding their addictions to video games, movies and other forms of entertainment.

When our young men grow up, many of them are extremely averse to taking on responsibility. They want to have lots of sex, but they aren't interested in marriage.

They enjoy the comforts of living at home, but they don't want to go out and pursue career goals so that they can provide those things for themselves. Our young men are supposed to be "the leaders of tomorrow", but instead many of them are a major burden on society. When are we finally going to admit that something has gone horribly wrong?

There is even a name for this generation of young men that does not want to grow up. It is called the "Peter Pan generation". They want to enjoy the benefits of being grown up without ever taking on the responsibilities.

22 Stats That Prove That There Is Something Seriously Wrong With Young Men In America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 02:46 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
You're absolutely correct in your assumption that young men of the present generation don't behave in a manner similar to those of thirty, or even fifteen years ago. Whether in a bar or a locker room, there are literally dozens of signs that the old "code of masculinity" no longer rules.

But how much of this is due to the imposition of the "New Puritanism/Sensitivity" and its progenitor -- Political Correctness?

I'm in my early sixties -- straight, but unmarried. I long ago came to the conclusion that I can accept only so much of the subtle, but firm and continuous regimentation which has become characteristic in both the schools and workplaces of our bureaucratized society. I'm fortunate enough to work for an enlightened employer who offers a lot of alternatives for "fitting in", (and eventual advancement if i were younger), but in other places, I've seen junior employees disciplined -- even terminated -- for what amounted to little more than a conflict over "attitude".

Most of the younger men with whom I come into contact seem to adjust to this pretty well, but I know that a few of them do use the electronic media as a means of escspe a little too often. But I have to have reservations about an educational system which offers fewer and fewer masculine role models during the first years, focuses too much on standardized tests (and standardized, likely oversensitized "solutions"), and seems increasingly likely to recommend "medication" as a backup.

And Lord help some of these boys if they go home to a single-parent, female-headed household. You don't have to cite Michael Jackson or Andrew Cunanan to recognize that there is a whole lotta gender-bending going on out there, and it's been slowly growing for a lot more years than we tend to admit at first.

Adam Lanza was just a prominent tip of a very large iceberg. What scares me most about the revelations of this sad story so far is that a number of law enforcement professionals have conceded that such things will likely continue to happen, and the response from the "usual experts" in the Matriarchy of Political Correctness is to buikd a bigger, more expensive cage.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 12-19-2012 at 03:22 PM..

Old 12-19-2012, 02:59 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quite simply, young men are confused by society. Liberals have pushed gender neutralization to its tipping point and now that rooster is coming home to roost. I'm pretty sure this was predicted 20 years ago when they started telling boys and girls that there's no differences between them. Now we have a mess on our hands.

Many of us saw this coming. I'm not surprised one bit.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:10 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,838,026 times
I've heard that for the most part, boys/men act out frustration and anger outwardly, (which effects others obviously) and lands them in prison and fights more than women. Girls/women tend to turn frustration and anger inwardly, onto themselves, which translates into depression, anxiety, co-dependency, low self esteem, eating disorders, self harm, etc.

Why do boys (and kids in general growing up now) act less responsible and feel more entitled? Could be a number of things. There is a "touchy feely" approach to parenting, an over compensating to give into kids when adults feel guilty for not giving their kids what the Jones' have. Its a competitive nation, where the upper crust is separating and leaving a struggle middle class. The competition for "more things" seems to trump quality time with kids. Its easy to do, most parents are guilty of it to a degree.

It's commonly played out, today especially. Over worked parents, frazzled, come home and the easy thing to do is let the kids play video games or get online, or watch TV. Outside playing seems to have gone out the window. Too much time as a youth absorbed in fantasy and media and not actually interacting with real people, probably has something to do with it. Also, if a teen is exhibiting signs of mental problems, its easier for parents to deny/turn away, than it is to address those issues.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:18 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,228,646 times
For #2, there may be a link between gender and mental defects. Special ed programs aren't for kids who are lazy. They're for kids who have disabilities.

#6 includes boys and girls. Of course that doesn't make it any better, in fact it makes it worse because it shows boys and girls are struggling.

#8 How many people that age could point it out in past decades? Again, it's still embarrassing that so few can point it out, but for the sake of the article, we don't know if this generation is worse than the others.

The first part of #12 isn't necessarily an issue. Especially because that stat doesn't specify who is viewing it. It's not only young men watching it. But it should go without saying that the second part is bad. However, it does not specify the age group once again.

#13 How different was that in past generations? And that isn't all guys' faults.

#14 isn't true. Only 25 nations are on that list. Highest in the developed world? That appears to be true. And once again, the ladies are a part of that equation too.

#15 Isn't all the fault of men for one. Also, "if our young men were not sex-obsessed idiots." Men have been sex-obsessed forever. Literally, since the beginning of man. Now is this generation more irresponsible with sex? Maybe.

#16 That's more economic than anything. Have you seen tuition prices? Plus I'm sure much of that 53% are college kids who return home each summer. Nothing wrong with that. And those that don't go to school are going to need to save up money at home before going out and getting a house they can't afford. So this stat is more about being financially responsible

#17 30 year olds living at home is when it becomes a problem. I'll give the article that point...

#20 That isn't really that big of a deal. It's not mandatory to marry.

#22 Young women are actually more likely to think about suicide and attempt suicide. Young men are just more likely to die by it, because they tend to choose more aggressive methods.

While there are certainly problems with this generation, I think it's being overblown. And much of this has to do with current economic conditions.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:19 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,228,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Quite simply, young men are confused by society. Liberals have pushed gender neutralization to its tipping point and now that rooster is coming home to roost. I'm pretty sure this was predicted 20 years ago when they started telling boys and girls that there's no differences between them. Now we have a mess on our hands.

Equal pay is causing this?

Old 12-19-2012, 03:23 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

So, guys who shoot people and commit violent acts are doing so to prove their masculinity?

Why do the vast majority of men not have this problem? Think the problem might have something to do with the individuals who commit these crimes, and not so-called liberal policies?

Old 12-19-2012, 03:30 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
We have raised an entire generation of young males that don't know how to be men, and many of them feel completely lost. Sometimes they feel so lost that they "snap" in very destructive ways. Adam Lanza and James Holmes are two names that come to mind. Why is it that mass murderers are almost always young men? Why don't young women behave the same way? Sadly, Adam Lanza and James Holmes are just the tip of the iceberg of a much larger problem in our society.

Our young women vastly outperform our young men in almost every important statistical category. Young men are much more likely to perform poorly in school, they are much more likely to have disciplinary problems and they are much more likely to commit suicide.

In the old days, our young men would gather in the streets or in the parks to play with one another after school, but today most of them are content to spend countless hours feeding their addictions to video games, movies and other forms of entertainment.

When our young men grow up, many of them are extremely averse to taking on responsibility. They want to have lots of sex, but they aren't interested in marriage.

They enjoy the comforts of living at home, but they don't want to go out and pursue career goals so that they can provide those things for themselves. Our young men are supposed to be "the leaders of tomorrow", but instead many of them are a major burden on society. When are we finally going to admit that something has gone horribly wrong?

There is even a name for this generation of young men that does not want to grow up. It is called the "Peter Pan generation". They want to enjoy the benefits of being grown up without ever taking on the responsibilities.

22 Stats That Prove That There Is Something Seriously Wrong With Young Men In America
You lost me after "We have raised an entire generation """

"We" is incorrect, not all parents were failures.

"entire" is incorrect, sorry you don't know any decent young men but I do....

"generation" is incorrect, all ages have had slackers and irresponsible people...and "generations" an overlap...

If you could take your computer back 50 years, a hundred years, 2-300 hundred years, adults would be whining the same way about the same thing...you could post the exact same words and many would agree with you.

Last edited by Who?Me?!; 12-19-2012 at 04:57 PM..

Old 12-19-2012, 03:44 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post

This is an unfair statement created by wreckless baby boomers and carried on by idiots. Unemployment and underemployment are major issues with the so called Peter Pan Generation. It is hard to grow up when the economy is in shambles... You cannot do many of these things, start a family and buy a house, without a stable and decent paying job.

P.S. Nice way to not so subtlely bash all men. In your eyes, we are all mentally ill, homicidal slackers.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:53 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,518,653 times
Being 23, I'm tired of this constantly being said as I have my **** together, work a fantastic job that I got to on my own with zero help, have run my own company successfully, have never committed any crime and am constantly looking to do good to other human beings.

That said, I completely agree. EDIT: Except for the exclusion of women. They're just as terrible. Move your labia from your eyes and admit it.

The baby boomers need to look no further than themselves:

The vast majority took no personal responsibility for their liberty and let government get out of control.

The vast majority practiced nearly zero family values and instead relied on public education, public services, and the media (tv in general) to provide guidance and morals for their children.

And the vast majority are now complaining about the confused generation of losers they created as if it's our fault we're so ****ed in the head. This leads back to my first point about lack of personal responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies