Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 02:59 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Two people were shot in San Diego late Monday after meeting a potential buyer who was responding to a Craigslist advertisement.

The shooting victims posted an ad to sell an iPhone on the popular online website and then arranged to meet a prospective buyer in a McDonald’s parking lot.

When the two parties met, the buyer got into the couple’s BMW and then pulled a gun on the sellers.
Craigslist case: California couple shot while trying to sell iPhone - U.S. News

More ridiculous gun violence. We have to live with it, unfortunately.

But I don't really understand why people try to sell things on Craigslist. I use eBay and Amazon to sell all of my stuff, and I don't have to deal with any strangers in person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 03:02 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Oh, poor you. Can't pass any ineffective measures and feel better about yourself.

Guess you're not too happy with CA's strict gun control?

Old 12-19-2012, 03:08 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:

But I don't really understand why people try to sell things on Craigslist. I use eBay and Amazon to sell all of my stuff, and I don't have to deal with any strangers in person.
If you are selling something dangerously expensive on Craigslist, all you have to do is tell the buyer to meet you in the lobby of the police station to make the exchange. If they have criminal intentions, they won't show up.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-19-2012, 03:09 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:

I didn't know guns could even work an iPhone. Oh wait, you mean evil people WITH a gun shot them.

More idiots meeting perfect strangers, via Craigslist.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:09 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,695,068 times
There are a lot of selfish people who think their right to own a deadly important is worth the 9000 needless deaths caused by guns a year.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Oh, poor you. Can't pass any ineffective measures and feel better about yourself.

Guess you're not too happy with CA's strict gun control?
Poor me? What - you're happy with gun violence?

Actually, I'm very happy with California's gun control laws. Gun death rates in this state are below the average for the U.S., and San Diego and San Jose have extremely low gun death rates.

The Geography of Gun Violence - Neighborhoods - The Atlantic Cities

The Geography of U.S. Gun Violence - Neighborhoods - The Atlantic Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
If you are selling something dangerously expensive on Craigslist, all you have to do is tell the buyer to meet you in the lobby of the police station to make the exchange. If they have criminal intentions, they won't show up.
That's an excellent idea. Thank you.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:12 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,418 times
Quote:
Poor me? What - you're happy with gun violence?

Actually, I'm very happy with California's gun control laws. Gun death rates in this state are below the average for the U.S., and San Diego has an extremely low gun death rate.
Cool. So does Vermont, since you want to get anecdotal.

So tell me, what specifically would you like to see done to prevent this kind of crime in California?

Old 12-19-2012, 03:12 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,677,334 times
That is not possible. The Brady campaign ranks California as the number #1 state with the strictest gun laws......

Old 12-19-2012, 03:14 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
For the few times i've bought and sold on Craigslist, I always carry a handgun to the exchange. Not a chance in hell i'd go without it.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
That is not possible. The Brady campaign ranks California as the number #1 state with the strictest gun laws......
It's only "not possible" to obstinate gun nuts who can't stand the fact that people are now seriously talking about the level of gun violence in this country. The nuts feel threatened.

Rant on, honey. It doesn't matter a whit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
For the few times i've bought and sold on Craigslist, I always carry a handgun to the exchange. Not a chance in hell i'd go without it.
I love it. You are prepared, for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Cool. So does Vermont, since you want to get anecdotal.
Anecdotal? I provided facts from the CDC.

Quote:
So tell me, what specifically would you like to see done to prevent this kind of crime in California?
Nothing. I think people have to be wise about meeting with strangers. That's the main purpose of this post. Now, if you want to get all defensive and hyped up about it, that's your prerogative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies