Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2012, 05:23 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
It wouldn't have affected the Newtown killings. However, these boards are full of strategies and suggestions for how to decrease the likelihood of another mass shooting.
I've only seen two suggestions that would help, and one of them is unconstitutional.

Ban and confiscate all firearms. Isn't going to happen.

Arm teachers and/or other staff members. Seems logical, but the nervous nillies seem to hate the idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 05:34 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,646,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Prove that claim (license/registration).
Page XV of this report:

http://smartgunlaws.org/wp-content/u...ire.report.pdf

The report is 300 pages long, I can't possibly summarize everything here.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
I've only seen two suggestions that would help, and one of them is unconstitutional.

Ban and confiscate all firearms. Isn't going to happen.

Arm teachers and/or other staff members. Seems logical, but the nervous nillies seem to hate the idea.
There are dozens of ideas in this report.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:42 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,486,435 times
Quote:
Page XV of this report:

The report is 300 pages long, I can't possibly summarize everything here.
There is absolutely nothing on page XV that would support your claim. A list of cities that require reporting stolen guns (and no info. on crimes), cities that restrict concealed carry (again nothing about crime). The whole report is written by an anti-gun activist group and is of dubious credibility.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:44 PM

Also according to the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research:

“Many people don't realise that, in most states, individuals convicted of violent misdemeanours with court-issued restraining orders for domestic violence, or who have a serious history of mental illness or substance abuse, can legally possess firearmsâ€,

“Federal gun laws allow private gun sellers to sell their guns with no questions asked of purchasers or proof that the purchaser has passed a criminal background check."

So these are all loopholes that should be fixed.

Researchers call for reform of US gun control policies : The Lancet

Old 12-23-2012, 05:48 PM

998 posts, read 1,215,041 times
Forbs Magazine: "In fact law-abiding citizens in America used guns in self-defense 2.5 million times during 1993 (about 6,850 times per day), and actually shot and killed 2 1/2 times as many criminals as police did (1,527 to 606). Those civilian self-defense shootings resulted in less than 1/5th as many incidents as police where an innocent person was mistakenly identified as a criminal (2% versus 11%).

Just how effectively have gun bans worked to make citizens safer in other countries? Take the number of home break-ins while residents are present as an indication. In Canada and Britain, both with tough gun-control laws, nearly half of all burglaries occur when residents are present. But in the U.S. where many households are armed, only about 13% happen when someone is home.

Recognizing clear statistical benefit evidence, 41 states now allow competent, law-abiding adults to carry permitted or permit-exempt concealed handguns. As a result, crime rates in those states have typically fallen at least 10% in the year following enactment."

Old 12-23-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
There is absolutely nothing on page XV that would support your claim. A list of cities that require reporting stolen guns (and no info. on crimes), cities that restrict concealed carry (again nothing about crime). The whole report is written by an anti-gun activist group and is of dubious credibility.

Under conclusions on page xv it says "with no federal licensing and only limited federal registration of firearms these fields lend themselves to ...state solutions."

This is preceded by a list of states and cities and their varying licensing and registration laws.

It's a thorough report on gun laws at the federal, state and regional level. It's not biased. It's simply a report. This report is used by policy-makers in Washington and law enforcement around the nation.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:03 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,486,435 times
Quote:
Under conclusions on page xv it says "with no federal licensing and only limited federal registration of firearms these fields lend themselves to ...state solutions."

This is preceded by a list of states and cities and their varying licensing and registration laws.

It's a thorough report on gun laws at the federal, state and regional level. It's not biased. It's simply a report. This report is used by policy-makers in Washington and law enforcement around the nation.
So how on earth does that prove your claim that:

Quote:
States with some form of both registration and licensing have greater success keeping firearms initially sold by dealers in the state from being recovered in crimes than states without such laws.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:10 PM

490 posts, read 650,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Yeah, for this week.

The long term trend is undeniable.
You're wrong. This latest incident is different and I see it as the catalyst for real change. Just like conservatives failed to read the mood of the country during the election they are doing the same, arrogant thing now.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:13 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,659,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
I know it's "shocking" to some people on this board but I fired my first handgun (with my father's supervision) around this age. The handgun was never locked, I knew where it was and would often go there and show it off to my friends. My father taught me proper gun safety that he didn't have to worry about locking up the gun.
Taking it out and showing it to your friends? At 6? I'd be really curious what "Mom" had to say about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies