Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 01:45 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
We need to have some smart guns first. After that you have the problem of millions of old tech guns in circulation. Some of that will go away through attrition. But the best way is to do the same thing that was done with, say, air conditioners. You can't buy ammo. If the new smart guns are chambered slightly differently than the old guns and only new ammo is made then eventually everyone is forced to change over or pay outrageous prices for dwindling supplies of ammunition. You basically render the old guns obsolete and unusable.
Or they can simply make their own ammunition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 01:45 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
We need to have some smart guns first. After that you have the problem of millions of old tech guns in circulation. Some of that will go away through attrition. But the best way is to do the same thing that was done with, say, air conditioners. You can't buy ammo. If the new smart guns are chambered slightly differently than the old guns and only new ammo is made then eventually everyone is forced to change over or pay outrageous prices for dwindling supplies of ammunition. You basically render the old guns obsolete and unusable.

Here is what I don't get. You make the argument of a bright eye'd idealist of all the possibilities and capabilities of man to be able to create this wonderful solution you purpose, but then... you complete disregard the fact that the same can be used to circumvent your solution.

Do you know any good gunsmiths? I know some that can make a quality firearm from scratch. Heck, if you watch those how to shows, and gun shows, there are people out there who make a living off modifying weapons, ammo and refurbishing old weapons that no longer have parts available.

All you will end up with is a bunch of really expensive pieces of junk that Joe Hillbilly gun enthusiast and his techie son are going to work around, bypass, or scrap the whole thing and make their own.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:46 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Well then suspend all manufacture and sale of guns until it's reliable. Amazing how they would move the technology forward.
Suspend all manufacture and sale of fingerprint enabled guns until it's reliable?

Sure...

Do it up.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Or they can simply make their own ammunition.

Make their own guns for that matter too.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:50 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Sorry, thought you were talking about "alternate fuel sources" as those as an example are not currently practical.

Look, as I have said, there is nothing wrong with striving for better technology, but as I said, if it can be built it can be modified and circumvented. This is shown over and over throughout our technology in history. Now I am open to the possibility of what you "believe", but we aren't talking about flying cars and teleporters, we are talking about practical solutions that are within our grasps currently.

Your expectation is not currently obtainable. Now as I said, you are welcome to go invent it to prove me wrong, but the fact remains that it is not practical right now. You are being idealistic and it has no place in practical discussions.
It is both technologically attainable and practical (we will always have the problem of foiling the spoilers). The problem is it is not marketable. We have to generate demand for such guns. It could be by fiat - like emissions rules - or by a fascination with the technology like TVs and BluRay etc, ad infinitum. Or both. Another, bigger problem is that the market is not large enough. Even if we replaced every gun in the US it would not be enough demand. It would have to have a global market like cellular devices and no other country on earth would want to risk the introduction of a gun problem like we have in the US.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:59 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Make their own guns for that matter too.
True. I know someone who built a lower for an AK-47 from a shovel blade. There are a lot of gun hobbiests who love showing off their home-made firearms.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
It is both technologically attainable and practical (we will always have the problem of foiling the spoilers). The problem is it is not marketable. We have to generate demand for such guns. It could be by fiat - like emissions rules - or by a fascination with the technology like TVs and BluRay etc, ad infinitum. Or both. Another, bigger problem is that the market is not large enough. Even if we replaced every gun in the US it would not be enough demand. It would have to have a global market like cellular devices and no other country on earth would want to risk the introduction of a gun problem like we have in the US.

No, that is what you are claiming. Like I said, make one and we will talk.

Sorry, not interested in your draconian government schemes to dictate to the markets. If your idea can't survive on its own merit, it is because your idea is garbage.

I wouldn't call 1/4 of 1 percent occurrence a problem. It doesn't even fall into the line of statistically significant. Not to mention, the occurrences vary greatly depending on many aspects, which implies that the problem is not guns, but something else.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:04 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,838 times
Quote:
Its nice they have ideas, but the fact is, while these are good suggestions for "encouraged" safety and prevention features (heck, the gun crowd is constantly coming up with different types of these features), I would have to side with that poster in terms of "mandated" features. These won't solve problems because the problem never was the guns in the first place. As long as we keep blaming the tools, we will never figure out what the real problem is.
Obviously it's not a gun problem, but it's worth listening to their reasoning and suggestions. The intent here is good (reduce gun violence), we just have to work out a solution that, you know, works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Eventually I can see this becoming reality. Probably not via fingerprints, but some other method. Once it is sufficiently reliable, people will want it. It eliminates the scenario of getting shot with your own gun after it has been snatched. It also frees you from the worry of potential liability if your gun is stolen.
Read through the thread, Wutitz, it doesn't. Anything electronic can be hacked, anything mechanical can be bypassed. Most electronic items have manufacturer lockout controls so that if you can't get in, the manufacturer can. Even if that means sending the circuit board back to the manufacturer for programming, it means it can be done.

If it can't be done, it'll be done. If you have to rebuild the entire biometrics circuit board or short-circuit a connection, it'll happen. Hackers like challenges.

Quote:
As for the concerns about electronics, it wasn't that long ago when electronic sights on self-defense guns were frowned upon due to concerns about reliability. Now red dot and other elec. sights are commonly used even by the military. Recently I read that some of the gurus are even putting electronic sights on carry pistols. Some refer to them as "window guns."
More Red Dots On Handguns - M4Carbine.net Forums
Yes, but when the battery dies on a Tijicon's ACOG sights, they often have a mechanical backup (fiber-optics) or hashmarks in the lens. If the sight suddenly went black and you couldn't see out of it, nobody would buy them.

Quote:
Electronic fuel injection is impractical? Fly by wire is impossible? A car can't parallel park itself. I remember a conversation not that many years back with a radio "expert" who argued with me when I gave a presentation where I claimed there would be a day when internet would come over cell phones. Impossible, he said. I can't begin to tell you all the practical reasons he gave that that would never happen. There is comfort (and profit) in living in the old ways for some, but the future belongs to the visionaries.
Fly-by-wire is supported by redundant hydraulic and mechanical linkages, sometimes two or three times over. Any good electronic device will have mechanical backup systems in the event of failure. My damned optical drive on my computer has a mechanical ejection switch.

Obviously you have a problem when your gun--needed for life saving purposes, fails to operate as expected because the spark generator failed to ignore the bullet.

Quote:
You'll just have an even larger cottage industry of home-made manufacturers, not to mention you'd have to enforce commercial manufacturers to stop making ammo for old firearms.

Quote:
Here is what I don't get. You make the argument of a bright eye'd idealist of all the possibilities and capabilities of man to be able to create this wonderful solution you purpose, but then... you complete disregard the fact that the same can be used to circumvent your solution.

Do you know any good gunsmiths? I know some that can make a quality firearm from scratch. Heck, if you watch those how to shows, and gun shows, there are people out there who make a living off modifying weapons, ammo and refurbishing old weapons that no longer have parts available.

All you will end up with is a bunch of really expensive pieces of junk that Joe Hillbilly gun enthusiast and his techie son are going to work around, bypass, or scrap the whole thing and make their own.
You'll like this video.

These people machine firearms by hand.

Last edited by Konraden; 12-20-2012 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: Formatting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies