Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 09:46 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,142,455 times

Advertisements

The term assault wapon has changed. Words change and the idiots who keep yelling about it means this narrw old definiton are beaging a dead horse.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_weapon

Artificial
This originally meant ‘full of artistic or technical skill’. Now its meaning has a very different slant

Nice
This comes from the Latin ‘not to know’. Originally a ‘nice person’ was someone who was ignorant or unaware

Awful
This meant ‘full of awe’ i.e. something wonderful, delightful, amazing. However, over time it has evolved to mean exactly the opposite.

Brave
This once was used to signify cowardice. Indeed, its old meaning lives on in the word ‘bravado’.[/

Manufacture
From the Latin meaning ‘to make by hand’ this originally signified things that were created by craftsmen. Now the opposite, made by machines, is its meaning.

Counterfeit
This once meant a perfect copy. Now it means anything but.
Prove
Originally this meant to test. The old meaning survives in the phrase ‘proving ground’
Tell
Original meaning was to count as in Bank Teller.

So words change, you not wanting them to change is not going to stop them from changing. And Assault rifle is one that has changed. live in the now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 10:13 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,499,574 times
Anything can be an "Assault Weapon".

Words are the most powerfull Assault Weapon ever devised by mankind.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Anything can be an "Assault Weapon".

Words are the most powerful Assault Weapon ever devised by mankind.
That definition is not accepted by the majority of people.
Assault weapon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If it is one day that will be a different story, but as of today then assault weapon is several different configurations of firearm and one is a semi auto that has the ability to hold more than 10 rounds of ammo. It is what it is an all the crying over it is not going to do a damn thing.

No one is going to stop trying to ban them because some idiot says "its not a semi auto" As a gun owner and 'assault weapon' owner I am not stuck trying to argue something that does nothing to add or take away from the debate.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:22 AM

13,673 posts, read 8,935,742 times
All I know is, if someone is pointing a gun at me, I consider it an assault weapon.

If I am pointing the gun at someone, then it is a weapon of self defense.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
All I know is, if someone is pointing a gun at me, I consider it an assault weapon.

thats fine, but its your personal definition not Websters. Webster is the collective definition of a word or phrase that we all turn to at any given point of time. You can say assault means to dance to disco music but if the lexicon does not reflect it than its only your personal definition.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:25 AM

25,727 posts, read 16,343,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post

If neither or you had a gun then you would have to either fight with your fists and live another day or kill each other.

I think the country would be much better off without the guns.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
If neither or you had a gun then you would have to either fight with your fists and live another day or kill each other.

I think that genie is out of the bottle.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:30 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,499,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
That definition is not accepted by the majority of people.
Assault weapon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If it is one day that will be a different story, but as of today then assault weapon is several different configurations of firearm and one is a semi auto that has the ability to hold more than 10 rounds of ammo. It is what it is an all the crying over it is not going to do a damn thing.

No one is going to stop trying to ban them because some idiot says "its not a semi auto" As a gun owner and 'assault weapon' owner I am not stuck trying to argue something that does nothing to add or take away from the debate.
Critical thinking.

What Governments are most afraid of.... WORDS

List of books banned by governments - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-20-2012, 10:32 AM

46,169 posts, read 26,829,593 times
Quote:
So, one does not have the ability to kill the other?

Quote:
Wrong...

Old 12-20-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Critical thinking.

What Governments are most afraid of.... WORDS

List of books banned by governments - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
what is baned in America?
From what I understand the Church has baned more than governments, and even at the threat of death made science reactant like Galileo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies