Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 02:54 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
So I continue to choose to not have a gun.
That is your choice. I hope you never find yourself in a situation where you need one. I, on the other hand, have chosen to arm myself. But, I hope I'll never find myself in a situation where I need it.

But, like a flashlight or a seatbelt, it is better to have it and not need it than the other way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 05:06 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Is it acceptable to you that 20 little children were slaughtered by a military assault rifle that was obtained legally by an unqualified citizen with a mentally unstable child in the house?

All I've seen is "Arm the teachers" That is not practical. That is idiotic.

So what are your suggestions on how we deal with this ever worsening situation?
Try opening your eyes, ears and. most importantly, your MIND, and you might learn.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:24 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Is it acceptable to you that 20 little children were slaughtered by a military assault rifle that was obtained legally by an unqualified citizen with a mentally unstable child in the house?

didnt you hear, according to news sources, a semi-automatic rifle wasnt used.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:27 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:

Interesting, I feel exactly the same way coming from the opposite point of view. The gun-control folks have no immediate solutions to offer. They have idealistic sounding "why can't we just melt all the guns" talk. There's a lot of guilt coming from the gun-control side. But none of their solutions would help anytime in the foreseeable future (if ever), so it's all Utopian rhetoric.
1.) You can't ban all guns because the 2nd Amendment won't let you. Repeal of the 2nd Amendment requires 38 states to sign off on it. You'll be very lucky if you get two states.
2.) Every time you try to ban any specific type of weapon, the 2nd Amendment is in the way.
3.) Even if you could get the 2nd Amendment repealed, you've got at least one gun per person (men, women and children) in the USA. Ask nicely and say "pretty please" and you might get a few people to hand them over. That leaves countless guns and weapons that people will hide or just not report. Good luck finding them all!
4.) If you could magically and instantly make every citizen-owned gun in America disappear right this instant, there are many Black Market sources that would resupply America's criminals very very quickly.

I agree that every state ought to hold gun owners accountable and raise the bar of accountability, gun safety training and things like that. If you want to own an assault rifle, it's a no brainer that you should need to prove greater responsibility as well as proving that you can keep other people from getting their hands on it. It should be very very easy for your right to own an assault rifle to be revoked. Same thing to a lesser degree as the firepower gets smaller and smaller. You should need to pass an extensive gun safety test before buying your first gun. You should be required to take refresher courses and retest on a regular basis. All of those things are doable. They are also long-term fixes at best. I think a two phased approach should be taken:

1.) Put an armed teacher or an armed volunteer in ever classroom. Train that individual to be safe and to never even think of using the fact that they have a gun to intimidate or even joke about intimidating anyone. Israel has made this system work so get their help implementing it.
2.) As stated above, make sure everyone who owns a gun is well educated, demonstrates responsible ownership and make it very easy for them to lose their right if they're doing irresponsible things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies