Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 12:15 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,059,221 times

Advertisements

This is what he says now:

Quote:
Senator Joe Manchin (D-WV), long-time NRA supporter who made headlines earlier this week for urging increased action on gun control is now dialing back his previous comments. “I’m not supporting a ban on anything,” Manchin said. He instead reinforced his praise of the gun lobby group, saying, “I’m so proud of the NRA, I’m so pleased they agreed to be part of this.”
Democratic Sen. Manchin Dials Back Gun Control Rhetoric: ‘I’m So Proud Of The NRA’ | Mediaite

This is what he said 4 days ago:

Quote:
Speaking on NBC News, he suggested that he was now open to restrictions on assault rifles, saying, "I don’t know anybody in the sporting or hunting arena that goes out with an assault rifle."
Could The Newtown School Massacre Lead To Stricter U.S. Gun Laws?

Not only is he backtracking, he even PRAISED the NRA.

LOL

You see Libs and other anti-gunners, it's not quite as easy as you thought it would be. Politicians are as fickle as the votes they seek. You thought it was a open-shut case. With support for "major gun restrictions" only at 52% nationwide, and politicians already hedging on their ill-conceived, emotional reactions, i'd reconcile that the future is not so bright for those of you that seek a weapons ban.

Sorry for your luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 12:18 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,662,013 times
Politicians, celebrities are the biggest hypocrites... Calling for gun control, gun bans... Yet they only walk around with bodyguards armed to the teeth.

I am glad Manchin changed his mind... Now let's see if he is actually going to vote NO on any new legislation for gun control.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Politicians, celebrities are the biggest hypocrites... Calling for gun control, gun bans... Yet they only walk around with bodyguards armed to the teeth.

I am glad Manchin changed his mind... Now let's see if he is actually going to vote NO on any new legislation for gun control.
Exactly.

I posted this to point out to all the knee-jerk reactionaries that there's really no reason to celebrate what they thought was an open/shut case. Clearly its not. I've known all along that as the emotion died down, American sensibilities would kick in. We're seeing that now.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:22 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,434,116 times
I'm glad to see him free himself from being 'politically correct' and resorted to use common sense instead. Good for him!

Old 12-20-2012, 12:24 PM

39,808 posts, read 26,349,321 times
Once people have time to get over an irrational, emotional, knee jerk reaction, I expect you'll find many more that realize that gun restrictions would do nothing to prevent this type of tragedy. Which is why the bottom feeders want such bills debated and acted on as quickly as possible.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Once people have time to get over an irrational, emotional, knee jerk reaction, I expect you'll find many more that realize that gun restrictions would do nothing to prevent this type of tragedy. Which is why the bottom feeders want such bills debated and acted on as quickly as possible.
Exactly! Emotional knee jerk is the modus operandi!

Old 12-20-2012, 01:09 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,433,604 times
Did you miss this part of his statement?

“I can’t say ‘yes’ or ‘no’ to any of the things,” Manchin added when asked if he would support restrictions on magazine size or an assault weapons band. “Because all I’ve asked for, I want the NRA to tell me why we have any weapon you might want. Is there any grounds or any changes or anything they would like to look at?"

Sounds to me like he still plans to get everyone at the same table to talk. He just clarified that he's yet to decide to be for or against restrictions on assault weapons and high capacity magazines.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Did you miss this part of his statement?

“I can’t say ‘yes’ or ‘no’ to any of the things,” Manchin added when asked if he would support restrictions on magazine size or an assault weapons band. “Because all I’ve asked for, I want the NRA to tell me why we have any weapon you might want. Is there any grounds or any changes or anything they would like to look at?"

Sounds to me like he still plans to get everyone at the same table to talk. He just clarified that he's yet to decide to be for or against restrictions on assault weapons and high capacity magazines.
Basically, you're the very person he was speaking to when he said that......the person who will take his words and find somewhere within an ideal that you can agree with. When in reality you can bet the farm that NRA-pal Joe Manchin is not going to support a ban on any gun. He NEVER had that intent to begin with, no matter what kind of "change of heart" he pretended to espouse. Guaranteed.

Try not to be so naive.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:23 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,405,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
This is what he says now:

Democratic Sen. Manchin Dials Back Gun Control Rhetoric: ‘I’m So Proud Of The NRA’ | Mediaite

This is what he said 4 days ago:

Could The Newtown School Massacre Lead To Stricter U.S. Gun Laws?

Not only is he backtracking, he even PRAISED the NRA.

LOL

You see Libs and other anti-gunners, it's not quite as easy as you thought it would be. Politicians are as fickle as the votes they seek. You thought it was a open-shut case. With support for "major gun restrictions" only at 52% nationwide, and politicians already hedging on their ill-conceived, emotional reactions, i'd reconcile that the future is not so bright for those of you that seek a weapons ban.

Sorry for your luck.
Nobody thought it was easy to take on a powerful, corrupted organization with billions of dollars and many politicians in its pocket, including this guy.

But we still have to try.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:28 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,441,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Exactly.

I posted this to point out to all the knee-jerk reactionaries that there's really no reason to celebrate what they thought was an open/shut case. Clearly its not. I've known all along that as the emotion died down, American sensibilities would kick in. We're seeing that now.
Who thought that new gun control legislation was EVER an open and shut case. Everyone in this country in favor of added legislation that keeps lunatics from buying assault rifles knows two things:

1) The NRA has, for decades, worked to help successfully defeat any legislation that makes it difficult for lunatics to purchase high powered rifles or handguns

2) This country is chock full of wingnuts, lunatics and Republicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies