Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 05:53 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarius View Post
Its all about disappointment. people without money are made to feel like s%^&. Poor kids are made to feel twice as worse as usual. Women laugh at how men squirm to not be embarrassed by their gift choices. The household budget be damned. Its all about regret and making people feel like S^&*.

I agree with you. It's a holiday where kids get REALLY spoiled and misbehave.
adults get too materialistic and brag about their gifts at times. I wish that Christmas had remained a holiday ONLY to celebrate the birth of Christ. I'd like to put Santa in an electric chair for everything he started.
I don't think that it was always this way. Gifts used to really simple in older times: a pair of shoes, a dime, clothes, etc. Our capitalistic society made it what it is today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 05:54 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
My wife and i don't really exchange gifts, but we make smaller things for others. I like to ride around to see the lights on main street and sometimes see house all lighted up.

Years ago i worked driving a team of Belgian Draft Horses pulling a pung (logging sled) refit to haul people. I liked that a lot.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:56 PM

397 posts, read 257,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I also don't go into debt or think that is what I'm "supposed" to do.

Christmas growing up for me was...........unpleasant would be the word, once my dad died. For many reasons and on many levels, so I have not looked forward to Christmas for many years.

I happened to marry a woman who tranforms herself into the Christmas Elf From Hell (I've described that aspect in other threads) and while she has tried for over 30 years to make me enjoy the holiday she has been largely unsuccessful.

I did somewhat enjoy it when the kids were younger.
I did enjoy that the kids enjoyed it but still its a BS sham game. You see family on Thanksgiving but you don't have to gift everybody. I feel exhausted just from trying and I know some will still not even remember what I got them but they will remember if you got them nothing.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:04 PM

397 posts, read 257,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I agree with you. It's a holiday where kids get REALLY spoiled and misbehave.
adults get too materialistic and brag about their gifts at times. I wish that Christmas had remained a holiday ONLY to celebrate the birth of Christ. I'd like to put Santa in an electric chair for everything he started.
I don't think that it was always this way. Gifts used to really simple in older times: a pair of shoes, a dime, clothes, etc. Our capitalistic society made it what it is today.
Not today. Its just a F&**())_ pressure cooker and some enjoy it. I don't. By Xmas morning I just sit quiet waiting for the BS to begin. The most expensive gifts get the ooohhhhs and ahhhhs. Just once I want to say put all that are paid off in the center Maybe this year I will.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:12 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,146 times
Quote:
Its all about disappointment. people without money are made to feel like s%^&. Poor kids are made to feel twice as worse as usual. Women laugh at how men squirm to not be embarrassed by their gift choices. The household budget be damned. Its all about regret and making people feel like S^&*.
Try to find the true reason and meaning for Christmas and maybe you would not feel this way.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:15 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,988 times
This society knows nothing about the true meaning of Christmas. Its not about what you get, its about the birth of Jesus, its about being around people you love and about being glad to be alive. The problem is people, especially my age group, expect things. Christmas has been made to be nothing more than a day where people get stuff and a fat old jolly man comes down the chimney. Its a very sad state, but being with family and friends is worth it.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:19 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,967 times
I stopped doing Christmas when my mother was practically keeping a mental balance sheet of who gave what to whom and she criticized me for sending "just photos" of my kids to my brother who gave me something expensive. So I told her I would not participate anymore and now I just ignore the holiday and am happier for it.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:28 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,675 times
YOU used the personal pronoun "I" 8 times in this short rant. Christmas isnt about you. If you cant find a way to spread happiness and joy during Christmas without spending money then YOU need counseling

I get tired of whining victims

Quote:
Thats the other part and its personal. I never got what I wanted. And I mean I saw others get it. After about 7 I didn't even expect it. I made damn sure my kids didn't experience that but my disappointment remains. Then I get grown and now everyone expects me to love this BS.

It never ends. Once I spent bonus money hard earned on a necklace for my wife. She never wore it,not once. Later it served as a huge argument. Women make it worse. Its a big game to them,but emotionally draining for men like me.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:16 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
I told an old friend I ran into today,Jan 3rd will feel great to me. I'm sorry but really, all this effort. Look at the suicide rate. You know why? Disappointment. And some among us enjoy every moment of others feeling that failure.
Do like I do ...ignore it, it's just stupid.

I know it's hard to do but try not to do what IDIOTS do which is Make A Big Deal Over It.

It's dates on the calendar and NOTHING else....be happy YOU aren't spending your money on worhtless crap no one wants.... you"re not overeating like some pig, YOU aren't drinking yourself into oblivion over Jesus' birthday...

YOU have escaped!!!

AND DO NOT TRY to find special meaning in it..... be kind and friendly and generous ALL YEAR LONG!!!!!

Old 12-20-2012, 07:36 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Quote:
Quote:
Its the same every year. Pressure beyond belief. And don't even try to not participate. Might as well commit a crime.
Quote:
I hate to tell you this but you have no idea what I mean. Expectation and not actually having the money.....totally different. At this point I'm just damn tired of it.
Quote:
I told an old friend I ran into today,Jan 3rd will feel great to me. I'm sorry but really, all this effort. Look at the suicide rate. You know why? Disappointment. And some among us enjoy every moment of others feeling that failure.
A lot of people get the holiday blues because they don't have family or money to partake in the celebrations. Instead of feeling sorry for yourself why don't you use the holiday to donate your time at a soup kitchen or retirement home? Then you will see people far worse off than you are.

If you're not interested in working charity then please seek professional help for your depression. We don't want you to turn into another mass murderer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies