U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 11:46 AM

6,032 posts, read 8,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Clearly, it's her own fault for not being armed. As the NRA so succinctly put it, "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." But without the protective field emanating from a firearm, she of course fell victim. Because the idea of making it hard for the bad guy to arm himself is unamerican.

The bad guy will buy an illegal gun or steal one. He doesn't want a gun that is traceable.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 11:49 AM

6,903 posts, read 10,523,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Oh yes.. Make something illegal and it won't be used... Isn't going into a school and shooting fish in a barrel illegal anyway? Hello?? The kill rate won't be changed.. Sorry.. We have been down this road once before and it had no impact.. Remember Columbine? The assault weapon ban was in place at that time.. The only thing that stopped it from being worse is that the bombs they set didn't detonate.. Address the real problem. You are tilting at windmills.
Materials used to create bombs, such as the one in the Oklahoma City bombing of 1995 ARE banned to purchase in significant quantities. And what small quantities people do purchase are closely monitored by the government.

Interesting that in countries where guns are banned gun deaths still happen...however their rates are MUCH lower than the United States, I wonder why that is? Maybe the U.S. just has more crazy people, yeah that's got to be it.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:49 AM

26,986 posts, read 14,188,172 times
Plenty of people in this world. We really need more mass killings to reduce global warming. Nukes are most likely needed,

Old 12-21-2012, 12:39 PM

12,152 posts, read 7,786,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Materials used to create bombs, such as the one in the Oklahoma City bombing of 1995 ARE banned to purchase in significant quantities. And what small quantities people do purchase are closely monitored by the government.

Interesting that in countries where guns are banned gun deaths still happen...however their rates are MUCH lower than the United States, I wonder why that is? Maybe the U.S. just has more crazy people, yeah that's got to be it.
Uh, no.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:50 PM

6,903 posts, read 10,523,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Uh, no.
You missed the rather obvious sarcasm of my post. Good job.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:54 PM

29,097 posts, read 24,098,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
Shot for overtaking a slow driver. No gun and this woman would still be alive.

Road-rage shooting leaves woman dead - Houston Chronicle
What is your point?

Are you saying that if there were a law that people couldn't own the firearm that was used in this incident, that the deadly assault wouldn't have occurred?

Really? Just how would a law prevent possession of the weapon?

All it would accomplish is ensure that a law abiding citizen like this woman who was murdered, couldn't defend themselves against the criminals who would access weapons on the black market.

MASSIVE THREAD FAIL

Old 12-21-2012, 12:57 PM

41,152 posts, read 20,908,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
The bad guy will buy an illegal gun or steal one. He doesn't want a gun that is traceable.
Smart bad guys in other countries have the good sense to avoid carrying guns as much as possible. Poor bad guys in other countries can't afford black-market prices for guns. Both of which contribute to fewer bad guys with guns.

And I suspect the bad guy in this scenario didn't set out to shoot somebody for cutting him off in traffic. He just failed at impulse control. Thanks to the wondrous effects of easy access to firearms, somebody died.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:45 PM

1,093 posts, read 2,469,546 times
Quote:
And I suspect the bad guy in this scenario didn't set out to shoot somebody for cutting him off in traffic. He just failed at impulse control. Thanks to the wondrous effects of easy access to firearms, somebody died.
So obvious, but people don't want to believe it. "Oh, he would have found another way to kill her!" I cant imagine him mixing a cocktail of dangerous chemicals to throw in her car window while driving, or throwing enough knives until he fatally wounded her.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:17 PM

12,152 posts, read 7,786,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
You missed the rather obvious sarcasm of my post. Good job.
I sure did.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:26 PM

15,834 posts, read 11,295,415 times
Quote:
You missed the part (my link in earlier comment) where the dead woman's husband also had a gun, followed the suspect to his house and shot up the garage. The suspect then grabbed a rifle and turned the tables on the husband, chasing his car and shooting, resulting in the wife being hit and killed.

Link: http://www.khou.com/news/local/Mothe...184255171.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies