Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 11:38 PM

9,240 posts, read 9,721,750 times

Advertisements

Chinese authorities have detained 500 people belonging to a quasi-Christian religious group called the Church of the Almighty God for spreading rumours that the world will end on Friday, according to the country's official news agency, Xinhua. Four hundred of the arrests, which have taken place over recent weeks, were in the north-western Qinghai province and the remainder in eight other provinces.
"The Qinghai police bureau stated that the police had stormed numerous centres belonging to the Almighty God cult, arresting more than 400 members and confiscating over 5,000 items including banners, DVDs, slogans, books, computers, speakers, and cell phones," Xinhua reported, adding that the group had "advanced anti-detection capabilities".

full article
China arrests 500 followers of religious cult over Mayan apocalypse rumours | World news | guardian.co.uk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 07:14 AM

25,805 posts, read 16,451,635 times
The Chinese routinely harasses and detains Catholic Missionaries. Catholic Priests have been "Disappeared" more than a few times never to be seen again.

We should not be having any ties with those people.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:17 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,703,573 times
America arrest way more than that. Just go to a prison, and take a poll as to how many believe in a god. The facts may astound you.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:19 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,239,057 times
Isn't that what a lot of US christians want, to get rid of atheists and jews and muslims, and all non-christians?

What's the difference?

Old 12-21-2012, 07:23 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,182,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Isn't that what a lot of US christians want, to get rid of atheists and jews and muslims, and all non-christians?

What's the difference?
Who has ever said that? Are you trying to troll, or are you actually serious?

Old 12-21-2012, 07:24 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,961,214 times
Quote:

What's the difference?

Only the extreme fundies.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:28 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,031,314 times
I think sending anyone who honestly believes the world is ending to the mental ward is a decent thing to do.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Who has ever said that? Are you trying to troll, or are you actually serious?
Try reading some of the threads on here, for a place to start.
There are numerous christians who have that desire.

Here's one from George Bush I:

George H. W. Bush: "Atheists Neither Citizens Nor Patriots
Sherman: Surely you recognize the equal citizenship and patriotism of Americans who are atheists?

Bush: No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.

Documents Prove Bush Questioned Citizenship of Atheists
In 1987, at a news conference which I was covering for a national magazine, Vice President George H. W. Bush told me, in response to a question that I raised, "I don't know that atheists should be regarded as citizens, nor should they be regarded as patriotic. This is one nation under God." Ever since then, many have asked where my proof is that Mr. Bush actually said that. On March 31, 2006, I received documents from the Bush Presidential Library that prove that Mr. Bush made those remarks.

Don't like these links, there are hundreds more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Only the extreme fundies.
Are they not christians?
Are there not many of those whackaloons on this board?

Old 12-21-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
I think sending anyone who honestly believes the world is ending to the mental ward is a decent thing to do.
What does your comment have to do with this thread?

Old 12-21-2012, 07:34 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,182,463 times
Quote:
Try reading some of the threads on here, for a place to start.
There are numerous christians who have that desire.

Here's one from George Bush I:

George H. W. Bush: "Atheists Neither Citizens Nor Patriots
Sherman: Surely you recognize the equal citizenship and patriotism of Americans who are atheists?

Bush: No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God.

Documents Prove Bush Questioned Citizenship of Atheists
In 1987, at a news conference which I was covering for a national magazine, Vice President George H. W. Bush told me, in response to a question that I raised, "I don't know that atheists should be regarded as citizens, nor should they be regarded as patriotic. This is one nation under God." Ever since then, many have asked where my proof is that Mr. Bush actually said that. On March 31, 2006, I received documents from the Bush Presidential Library that prove that Mr. Bush made those remarks.

Don't like these links, there are hundreds more.

Are they not christians?
Are there not many of those whackaloons on this board?
Don't judge an entire group by the words of a select few. There are some liberals who think private property should be criminalized. Following your logic, that means all liberals feel that way, right?

Take off your 'anyone religious/conservative must be crazy' hat for a minute and actually think like a rational person.

If a person wants to criminalize other religions as the original article stated, then they are NOT christians, no matter what they call themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies