Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it be mandated that citizens wear seat belts?
Yes 63 49.61%
No 64 50.39%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 04:16 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Again. Why do you feel the need to tell me what I can or can't do in MY own car that I paid for and paid taxes on? Me not wearing a seat belt is not affecting the safety of the PUBLIC. Only my PERSONAL safety.

You've failed to show how wearing seat belts increases public safety. It only improves personal safety.
Guessing by the all bold writing this is something you are upset about. I don't care what you do inside your own private car when you drive it on private land. When you take that car onto a public road then I expect you to honor the laws of your state on their public roads.

It increases personal safety in a public place. I never said it should increase public safety, you said that, I said all safety, public and personal should be considered when you drive your car on a public road.

You don't like the law in your state, move to a state that better fits your needs, you have the freedom to make that choice.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:23 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Guessing by the all bold writing this is something you are upset about. I don't care what you do inside your own private car when you drive it on private land. When you take that car onto a public road then I expect you to honor the laws of your state on their public roads.

It increases personal safety in a public place. I never said it should increase public safety, you said that, I said all safety, public and personal should be considered when you drive your car on a public road.

You don't like the law in your state, move to a state that better fits your needs, you have the freedom to make that choice.
I understand now. Your ok with infringing upon my freedoms. You actually feel justified in doing so.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
I understand now. Your ok with infringing upon my freedoms. You actually feel justified in doing so.
So are we talking in bold now? You are free to do whatever you want on your own private property, I have no interest in infringing on those freedoms, but when you enter the public you are suppose to respect and obey the laws that the public has created. I am not asking you to like every law, just respect and obey them.

I point this out over and over, you are free to live anywhere in this country and each state have different laws and different fines, you are the only person stopping you from moving to New Hampshire where they don't have a seat belt law.

I understand that you think only the laws that you are okay with should be a law regardless of the fact that it was the public, the people who live around you, who have created these laws for the public. You are not the all controller of the public world, you need the support of your neighbors to do anything.

This entire rant you have been going on has been nothing more than a spoiled kid not getting everything he wants.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:33 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So are we talking in bold now? You are free to do whatever you want on your own private property, I have no interest in infringing on those freedoms, but when you enter the public you are suppose to respect and obey the laws that the public has created. I am not asking you to like every law, just respect and obey them.

I choose to not respect any laws that aren't just. I encourage other Americans to do the same. It is time we start to think outside of our own little worlds and look at what's best for the country as a whole. Police officers are getting paid to stop crime and protect the peace. They need to be focused on serious issues, not petty offenses. If officers have enough time to pull people over for seat belts then we need to start to cut back on the number of officers hired. We don't need nannys, we need protection.

I point this out over and over, you are free to live anywhere in this country and each state have different laws and different fines, you are the only person stopping you from moving to New Hampshire where they don't have a seat belt law.

Basically, get out of the state if you don't like the laws. How bout you get outta my country if you don't like freedom? The people are the one's making government possible, not the other way around. If you want to live on your knees go ahead. Give more power to the police. Others of us know that they're already corrupt and we need to protect citizen's rights.

Corrupt police ticket me for not wearing seatbelt

Man Attempts To Pull Over Detroit Cop For Not Wearing Seat Belt (VIDEO)

Why Not Let Cops Stop People for Unbuckled Seat Belts? - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Wayne County Sheriff Busted, Citizen Ask Officer to Obey Mi. Law - YouTube

Legal Schnauzer: Cops Target Woman Who Exposed Police Corruption

I understand that you think only the laws that you are okay with should be a law regardless of the fact that it was the public, the people who live around you, who have created these laws for the public. You are not the all controller of the public world, you need the support of your neighbors to do anything.

William J. Holdorf -- Facts About State Mandatory Seat Belt Harness Laws

This entire rant you have been going on has been nothing more than a spoiled kid not getting everything he wants.
A spoiled kid? I bust my ass everyday for my community and my family. I've gone without just so others can eat. Before you point the finger maybe you should think about why you have so much time to fight an issue that will not even affect you. Meanwhile I continue to create jobs and continue to work to try to help my community. I'll continue to work to end the real threats.

What we need is safer drivers. Not more harassment of people who aren't breaking the law. You could pass a law that all blacks are slaves but that doesn't make it right. The polls here show that the people do NOT overwhelmingly support seat belt laws.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:22 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,758,240 times
Urbanlife...why do you feel the need to protect others from themselves? As long as you and your family are wearing their seatbelts that is all that should matter to you. Gtownoe makes a good point about how you seem to be confusing personal safety vs public safety. If you want to ticket me because I am driving my truck with an unsafe load in the bed that may fly out and kill someone I think thats rational. I think its rational to have laws against drunk driving a cell phone use while driving. I think its rational to mandate laws that will protect others on the road from your misdoings but to mandate a law to protect me from myself is just stupid. If I wasnt wearing a seatbelt and died tonite in an accident I wouldnt be thinkning gee I should have been wearing my seatbelt like you mentioned in an earlier post. I knew the consequences and chose that path. Move on with your life and forget about me.

I would love to see where the pro seatbelt law crowd rests with all of the other issues in line with a law such as this (smokoing, motorcycles, etc) Im sure many would contradict themselves.

If we are concerned about personal safety on a public road we should mandate laws against smoking behind the wheel. God forbid if someone got cancer while driving on a public road that woud be just aweful, lol.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
A spoiled kid? I bust my ass everyday for my community and my family. I've gone without just so others can eat. Before you point the finger maybe you should think about why you have so much time to fight an issue that will not even affect you. Meanwhile I continue to create jobs and continue to work to try to help my community. I'll continue to work to end the real threats.

What we need is safer drivers. Not more harassment of people who aren't breaking the law. You could pass a law that all blacks are slaves but that doesn't make it right. The polls here show that the people do NOT overwhelmingly support seat belt laws.
Actually it seems you are the one who is obsessed with this, I am just bored and enjoying my down time at home and in commutes to comment on it. I can only assume that you are "busting your ass" everyday, but then again I could say I am Trump's right hand man doesn't mean I believe everything I read on the internet.

I already gave you a list of states that agree with you that the seat belt law shouldn't be a priority for police therefore it is a secondary law. That is something I do agree, it isn't something that police should be focusing on, in cities like Chicago, I think it is more important for the police to focus on their crime and murder problem than it is the people wearing seat belts. Saying that, besides your constant freaking out over this issue, I don't know how often people get pulled over in Chicago for not wearing their seat belt, for all I know it isn't even a big issue for the police there.

I also agree that we need safer drivers which means it should be harder to get a license and we should have to take driving tests throughout our lives....that said, I still support the seat belt law, but you are totally welcome to ignore them much like I assume you currently do ignore them, so what's the problem?

As I have mentioned several times, you have several forms of transportation in your city that doesn't have a seat belt law as well as a number of states that do not have primary laws, why waste your life whining when you could be living somewhere that is more perfect for you.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Urbanlife...why do you feel the need to protect others from themselves? As long as you and your family are wearing their seatbelts that is all that should matter to you. Gtownoe makes a good point about how you seem to be confusing personal safety vs public safety. If you want to ticket me because I am driving my truck with an unsafe load in the bed that may fly out and kill someone I think thats rational. I think its rational to have laws against drunk driving a cell phone use while driving. I think its rational to mandate laws that will protect others on the road from your misdoings but to mandate a law to protect me from myself is just stupid. If I wasnt wearing a seatbelt and died tonite in an accident I wouldnt be thinkning gee I should have been wearing my seatbelt like you mentioned in an earlier post. I knew the consequences and chose that path. Move on with your life and forget about me.

I would love to see where the pro seatbelt law crowd rests with all of the other issues in line with a law such as this (smokoing, motorcycles, etc) Im sure many would contradict themselves.

If we are concerned about personal safety on a public road we should mandate laws against smoking behind the wheel. God forbid if someone got cancer while driving on a public road that woud be just aweful, lol.
You clearly missed the point where I said I am not confusing both personal and public safety, I am considering them both under the umbrella of "safety."

I believe when you use public roads, you should obey public laws.

As for other laws, I support laws that tell people where they can and cannot smoke in public.

I support the use of helmets when riding a motorcycle.

and etc, I hope that helps answer your questions.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:40 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times
Definitely mandatory. It's the rarest of times when a seatbelt is a liability in a crash, so we need to be sure the ignorant are protected from themselves. Of course, if they want to sign a waiver taking personal financial responsibility for all damages from a crash when they are not wearing a seatbelt, then have at it!

Old 12-30-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Definitely mandatory. It's the rarest of times when a seatbelt is a liability in a crash, so we need to be sure the ignorant are protected from themselves. Of course, if they want to sign a waiver taking personal financial responsibility for all damages from a crash when they are not wearing a seatbelt, then have at it!
I would be fine with that, if you are gonna be an idiot for not wearing a seat belt, you should sign off on it and admit to yourself and others that you are an idiot for not wearing a seat belt.

Besides, if I get into an accident with someone that isn't wearing a seat belt, I don't want my insurance paying more because of their stupidity, the accident might of been my fault but them wearing their seat belt wasn't....oh look, I guess I just connected personal safety to public safety.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:10 PM

So you are saying, if we get into a car accident, I should have to pay more for your carelessness to not wear a seat belt? Also, why do you continue to ignore the fact that there are a number of states out there that have secondary laws, not primary laws? Also, how many people even get pulled over for not wearing their seat belt in Illinois or primarily Chicago? These bits of fact would be nice, until then you have been running on nothing but opinion.

The only thing we have agreed on is the fact that getting and keeping a license should be much harder than it currently is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies