Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it be mandated that citizens wear seat belts?
Yes 63 49.61%
No 64 50.39%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 10:47 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And I gave you facts that show that if you aren't wearing a seat belt in an accident, even if it is someone else's fault, then more than likely the judge is going to rule against you regardless of the injuries and you will get much less in compensation.

So again, you are taking on that added risk by not wearing a seat belt, which is your problem.
Agreed.

There's still multiple reasons to be against seat belt laws. If you want to argue financial matters, fine. If you want to argue personal safety, and the government's reach, your going to lose on the seat belt argument.

No crime has been committed by not wearing the seat belt. The state created the law to try to make the act a crime. They overstepped their boundaries IMO.

New Hampshire has NO seat belt laws yet has one of the lowest vehicle fatality rates per capita. Safety CAN be improved through education and information , not solely through enforcement.

If your fine with giving more control to the government and police fine, just no damn well what your doing.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:49 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
That's fine.

There still should not be seat belt laws.
Actually there does, it makes it much easier to punish you in an accident case because you weren't wearing your seat belt because there is a law that states you should be wearing your seat belt.

I like the fact that you have repeatedly ignored the fact that there are a number of states that have secondary seat belt laws which is a nice middle ground for you.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:51 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Before voting, scan through the initial Seat Belt Laws thread to hear the pros and cons for the law. Do you feel that we need laws that mandate we wear seat belts?

I'm asking the mods to let this thread stand as an attempt to gauge the change in public opinion after a lengthy debate.
No. Everyone should be free to make their own decisions. If people want to forgo wearing a seat belt, then they suffer the consequences of those actions...but it was their choice and that is what we should all be allowed.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
You can't 100% prove it. The fact that there have been multiple instances reported (in this thread and through outside sources) where a person was saved by not wearing a seat belt defeats your claim. You could argue you have a decreased risk of serious injury or death, but that is not the same as saying the person would be better off in that particular instance.

I've stated before seat belts decrease your risk of serious injury or death. How many times do I have to repeat that?
There really isn't such thing as absolutes in the real world, so lets avoid the extremes. I have given you facts that back up what I am saying, you have been absent of facts to back up your claims.

You have stated many times that seat belts decrease your risk, yet your issue with the seat belt law goes against what you have stated which leads me to believe that the decrease of risk isn't worth honoring.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Agreed.

There's still multiple reasons to be against seat belt laws. If you want to argue financial matters, fine. If you want to argue personal safety, and the government's reach, your going to lose on the seat belt argument.

No crime has been committed by not wearing the seat belt. The state created the law to try to make the act a crime. They overstepped their boundaries IMO.

New Hampshire has NO seat belt laws yet has one of the lowest vehicle fatality rates per capita. Safety CAN be improved through education and information , not solely through enforcement.

If your fine with giving more control to the government and police fine, just no damn well what your doing.
Well it isn't a crime to murder someone until the state and federal government created a law that made it illegal. All laws are created by state and federal for a reason.

Also, if you ever bothered to read any of my links you would see that no seat belt law comes with jail time, just a fine (except in Arkansas where you might be sent to county jail.)
State Seat Belt Laws

Another fun fact, the SCOTUS also disagrees with you and says that it is okay for the police to arrest you for not wearing a seat belt, gotta love facts.
SCOTUS says, "Buckle up or go to JAIL!" [Archive] - The Firing Line Forums

There are states that have a lower fatality rate per capita than New Hampshire and they have seat belt laws, so I guess the seat belt laws and proper driving education has helped those states more.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Actually there does, it makes it much easier to punish you in an accident case because you weren't wearing your seat belt because there is a law that states you should be wearing your seat belt.

I like the fact that you have repeatedly ignored the fact that there are a number of states that have secondary seat belt laws which is a nice middle ground for you.
No it doesn't. We're simply discussing risk. Before there were seat belt laws there were insurance companies and insurance premiums are supposed to be based upon risk. In the case of an accident, all variables are necessary in determining payouts and fault. The seat belt would just be sited in the document files and the payout will be adjusted.

Drivers be warned. If the premiums are adjusted to include ALL risk to the company, other driver's premiums may be much higher than those who don't wear seat belts.

A nice middle ground for me is NO seat belt laws. The police need less reasons to pull me over and less rights overall to infringe upon the rights of other citizens. People's rights are abused all the time and attorneys, jurors, and clerks office workers would agree. If you truly understood how other Americans were being abused by these faux laws then there's no way you'd support seat belt laws.

If you truly "care" about the rest of the population as much as your letting on, then you'd support the banning and fining of all other risks of equal or greater risk than not wearing a seat belt.

If you want me to pull up stats I'll start to compile a list. Maybe you can start a thread about how you want to make those things illegal as well. Seeing how "caring" you really are

Old 12-30-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Well it isn't a crime to murder someone until the state and federal government created a law that made it illegal. All laws are created by state and federal for a reason.

Also, if you ever bothered to read any of my links you would see that no seat belt law comes with jail time, just a fine (except in Arkansas where you might be sent to county jail.)
State Seat Belt Laws

Another fun fact, the SCOTUS also disagrees with you and says that it is okay for the police to arrest you for not wearing a seat belt, gotta love facts.
SCOTUS says, "Buckle up or go to JAIL!" [Archive] - The Firing Line Forums

There are states that have a lower fatality rate per capita than New Hampshire and they have seat belt laws, so I guess the seat belt laws and proper driving education has helped those states more.
And you feel proud about posting the bold?? Do you support NDAA and the Patriot Act as well?

Old 12-30-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
No it doesn't. We're simply discussing risk. Before there were seat belt laws there were insurance companies and insurance premiums are supposed to be based upon risk. In the case of an accident, all variables are necessary in determining payouts and fault. The seat belt would just be sited in the document files and the payout will be adjusted.

Drivers be warned. If the premiums are adjusted to include ALL risk to the company, other driver's premiums may be much higher than those who don't wear seat belts.

A nice middle ground for me is NO seat belt laws. The police need less reasons to pull me over and less rights overall to infringe upon the rights of other citizens. People's rights are abused all the time and attorneys, jurors, and clerks office workers would agree. If you truly understood how other Americans were being abused by these faux laws then there's no way you'd support seat belt laws.

If you truly "care" about the rest of the population as much as your letting on, then you'd support the banning and fining of all other risks of equal or greater risk than not wearing a seat belt.

If you want me to pull up stats I'll start to compile a list. Maybe you can start a thread about how you want to make those things illegal as well. Seeing how "caring" you really are
So you are gonna continue running with this idea of just posting your opinions and trying to pass them off as fact, do you even click on the links I provide you?

Well I think we should have primary seat belt laws in every state and I don't accept no seat belt laws, so I guess you need to try harder to find a middle ground....but let's be honest, you can think we should have no seat belt all you want, but the truth is there is only one state in the entire country that agrees with you and even the SCOTUS has no problem with seat belt laws in our states, so in the end this is nothing more than a losing fight for you that you aren't willing to accept but seem to be willing to fling around your opinions in hopes that no one questions them.

Care to ever provide any facts in your posts, I personally don't care what your opinion is.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
And you feel proud about posting the bold?? How treasonous. Do you support NDAA and the Patriot Act as well? Who are you? You've gotta be government.
Actually I support our legal system, it is one of the greatest legal systems in the world. I think Congress is a mess and needs a massive overhaul and reform, and I think the executive branch could use some reform so that our president doesn't have to spend half his first term running for re-election.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:

So you support the banning and/or fining of all other things that are of equal or greater risk? You really care about all those people being saved don't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies