Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it be mandated that citizens wear seat belts?
Yes 63 49.61%
No 64 50.39%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 06:28 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I didn't say you had to disagree, I just pointed out the risk you take when you get into a car and not put on a seat belt. The accident was my fault, but you choosing to not wear a seat belt isn't the fault of my own because I did not take on that risk, you did.
To me, this is kind of like saying a burglar should not be charged or held responsible for robbing my house because I chose not to have home insurance.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Sure, why not, this has turned into an all or nothing conversation so lets ban it all.
Do you really not see the point Gtownoe is making?

Old 12-31-2012, 07:09 AM

588 posts, read 1,319,612 times
For those that are in favor of "freedom"

When it is determined that somebody is killed or severely injured because of not having seat belts in an accident, ONLY those that vote in favor of not having seatbelts should pick up the costs of medical treatment, etc if they have no insurance. It is the same folks that want their "freedom" that are against forcing people to get insurance. Why should I have to pay up for your BS "freedom?" It's a freaking seatbelt. Sheesh. Fight for your freedom with laws that are truly breaking your freedom.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post
For those that are in favor of "freedom"

When it is determined that somebody is killed or severely injured because of not having seat belts in an accident, ONLY those that vote in favor of not having seatbelts should pick up the costs of medical treatment, etc if they have no insurance. It is the same folks that want their "freedom" that are against forcing people to get insurance. Why should I have to pay up for your BS "freedom?" It's a freaking seatbelt. Sheesh. Fight for your freedom with laws that are truly breaking your freedom.
More assumptions. I support healthcare for all. But does that mean that others should tell me where I can, what I can do, what I can eat, who I can sleep with, where I live, what kind of car I drive etc? I don't think so.

And if you think mandating seat belt usage is not at all like the above, you are gravely mistaken.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:12 AM

4,208 posts, read 3,757,431 times
Zachj7, there are plenty of people that get killed or severely injured while wearing a seatbelt too that dont have insurance. WHo will pay for them?

WHat about cases of those injured in an accident that would have died if they were wearing a seatbelt? Who would pay for them?

WHat about motorcycle riders?..according to you they shouldnt even offer insurance for them because riding a motorcycle is no different than driving a car without a seatbelt and in most cases much more dangerous. DOnt even mention helmets because wearing a helmet on a motorcycle is like wearing a helmet in a car without a seatbelt on.

We all pay for insurance and we always will, isnt that what its there for? When I lived in NH there was no seatbelt law, nor were you mandated to have auto insurance on a car that was paid for...with that being said my auto insurance was lower than in any other state I have lived in.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:51 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,169,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
To me, this is kind of like saying a burglar should not be charged or held responsible for robbing my house because I chose not to have home insurance.
Not the same comparison, a better one would be having home insurance yet you leave your door unlocked, therefore the insurance company should pay you for your own stupidity.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Do you really not see the point Gtownoe is making?
I see his point, he is still upset that once a cop pulled him over for not wearing a seat belt and that has clearly upset him. I have pointed out plenty of times that a number of states only have secondary laws, and he has yet to provide a single bit of information that shows cops in illinois or in any other state pulling people over in a high rate or any rate for not wearing their seat belt. It would be nice to see facts not opinions. Until then he is just still whining about a ticket he once got for not wearing his seat belt, which he admits to regularly not wearing as if he can predict when an accident could happen.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:56 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Not the same comparison, a better one would be having home insurance yet you leave your door unlocked, therefore the insurance company should pay you for your own stupidity.
Just stop with the insults. A person isn't "stupid" solely because they don't wear a seat belt. Get over yourself.

What do you do for a living? How are you contributing to America? If you want to call people stupid, at least have something positive going on for yourself. Don't just be a troll on an issue you've already admitted you don't care about.

YOU are what's wrong with America. Your apathy and ignorance for truth is appalling.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
More assumptions. I support healthcare for all. But does that mean that others should tell me where I can, what I can do, what I can eat, who I can sleep with, where I live, what kind of car I drive etc? I don't think so.

And if you think mandating seat belt usage is not at all like the above, you are gravely mistaken.
The seat belt law doesn't prevent you from driving, it doesn't make it impossible for you to start your car, it is simply an added risk you take when not wearing one. Seriously, go for a drive today without a seat belt on, I doubt you will instantly get a ticket for it.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Just stop with the insults. A person isn't "stupid" solely because they don't wear a seat belt. Get over yourself.

What do you do for a living? How are you contributing to America? If you want to call people stupid, at least have something positive going on for yourself. Don't just be a troll on an issue you've already admitted you don't care about.

YOU are what's wrong with America. Your apathy and ignorance for truth is appalling.
Being in a moving vehicle sojourn being strapped in is being stupid, I am guessing math isnt you strong suit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies