Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it be mandated that citizens wear seat belts?
Yes 63 49.61%
No 64 50.39%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 08:41 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Actually mustang I support the current seat belt laws which are state mandated only which is the will of the people governing themselves. I don't think there is any need for a federal law.
That's a bit of a stretch.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:47 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
That's a bit of a stretch.
Not really, that is what State politics is. What is right for the people of Illinois might not be right for the people of Arizona, therefore the people in each state choose different things. Do you even understand how State politics works?

Old 01-07-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Not really, that is what State politics is. What is right for the people of Illinois might not be right for the people of Arizona, therefore the people in each state choose different things. Do you even understand how State politics works?
Your insinuating that the people of each state are active in deciding such laws. Your acting as if the public endorses seat belt laws and that's why they're on the books.

That's not true.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:35 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Forget seat-belt laws.

How bout government regulations to require cars to have seat-belts and other safety devices?

If it weren't for the government, airbags in passenger seats and other features would be for the rich.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Your insinuating that the people of each state are active in deciding such laws. Your acting as if the public endorses seat belt laws and that's why they're on the books.

That's not true.
In many states I have seen laws go to the public for vote. Also in States you have elected officials that are elected through popular vote. Want to make a difference, go run for city or state office. I am sorry you are so absent from your own city and state governments to realize that.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
In many states I have seen laws go to the public for vote. Also in States you have elected officials that are elected through popular vote. Want to make a difference, go run for city or state office. I am sorry you are so absent from your own city and state governments to realize that.
Which states did seat belt laws go to public vote?

Old 01-07-2013, 02:03 PM

Here's another Seat Belt Poll.

The question asks, "Do mandatory seat belt laws violate individual rights?"

60% said yes

40% said no

Debate: Do mandatory seat belt laws violate individual rights? - Helium

Old 01-07-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Which states did seat belt laws go to public vote?
Well I will have to do some hunting...or you are always welcome to do some hunting on this because I don't know the history of the seat belt law in every state. I do however have a site that lists the changes in seat belt laws from secondary laws to primary laws and found something rather funny.

I take it you still live in Illinois, though you obviously don't live in Chicago, guessing near Chicago or something which isn't the same as living in Chicago.

In your state the change from secondary to primary was actually supported and changed by a majority rule.
Quote:
Illinois was among the ten states in which AB&SBSC funded grass-roots legislative efforts in 1999. However, it was clear early on that there was little chance of passing standard seat belt enforcement legislation in Illinois, due to strong opposition in the Senate. In the future, the bill will again start in the Senate, a successful strategy in Michigan in 1999.

Despite the difficulties in securing a new state statute, primary enforcement has made significant progress in Illinois due to a local seat belt ordinance initiative. As of June 1999, 28 Illinois communities, representing a combined population of about 750,000, had passed primary enforcement ordinances. Similar ordinances were pending in 18 additional jurisdictions. The program, begun in 1998, was initially confined to Illinois, which has a "home rule" law that enables cities, towns, and villages with over 30,000 residents to enact their own traffic legislation. In addition, a provision of the motor vehicle code enables localities to enact additional traffic laws deemed necessary for the safety of the community.

U.S. Department of Transportation - NHTSA - Process and Outcome Evaluation of the Buckle Up America Initiative - DOT HS 809 272 - IV. Legislation
So when you get pulled over for not wearing your seat belt in Illinois, you can thank the "home rule" law and the majority of your state who got that passed.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Here's another Seat Belt Poll.

The question asks, "Do mandatory seat belt laws violate individual rights?"

60% said yes

40% said no

Debate: Do mandatory seat belt laws violate individual rights? - Helium
Looks like a poll in Kansas disagrees.
Poll: Do you support Kansas having a primary seat belt law, meaning law enforcement can pull someone over simply for not wearing a seat belt? / LJWorld.com

So does this poll show a 63% support for seat belt laws, and it comes from the Chicago Tribune
Poll Finds 63% Back Seat Belt Law - Chicago Tribune
(PS this article was from 1985 to give you some historical context on the law. )

This poll shows 63% in favor of seat belt laws.
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...s-against.html

Another one from 1985 that shows support for the seat belt law in Ohio.
Majority Back Seat-belt Law In Ohio, Poll Finds - Chicago Tribune

Old 01-08-2013, 06:32 AM

Public opinion seems to have changed about the seat belt law. I'm guessing that after so many people have been pulled over for bogus reasons, Americans want their rights back.

Current poll is dead even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies