Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many kids would it have to save for you to give up your semi auto "assaulte" rifles
I would give them up if it saved one kid 25 29.76%
I would give them up if it saved 5 kids 1 1.19%
I would give them up if it saved 25 kids 1 1.19%
I would not give them up if it cost the lives of 1000 kids. 57 67.86%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 09:12 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
Of course. Why should the US gov have a monopoly on firepower over her citizens? Is the US gov somehow special?

If we all repeat the first 3 words of the US Constitution, over and over, it may sink in for some, that we are more powerful than the government.

They are overstepping the privileges we grant the government.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:20 PM

922 posts, read 1,908,973 times
A really dumb way to word a question. Were you trying to shame people to answer that there is a number. Kinda like asking would you prefer tobe killed by a criminal with a gun, or a knife, or a club. I prefer to not be killed at all, hence I have a gun. My guns are not nor will be responsible for any childs death. I am one, along with 4 million others. Go take away guns from known criminals first. Then come talk to me. Or do you prefer to have 5 criminals with guns or 100 criminals with millions of defensless victums.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:30 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
A really dumb way to word a question. Were you trying to shame people to answer that there is a number. Kinda like asking would you prefer tobe killed by a criminal with a gun, or a knife, or a club. I prefer to not be killed at all, hence I have a gun. My guns are not nor will be responsible for any childs death. I am one, along with 4 million others. Go take away guns from known criminals first. Then come talk to me. Or do you prefer to have 5 criminals with guns or 100 criminals with millions of defensless victums.
I can see its just beyond your ability to comprehend. You can go on to other topics you that may be at your ability to understand. LOL

Old 12-21-2012, 09:39 PM

No you need to stand and answer why you think there is a number to be reached for an honest person to give up his guns. If that is not your point say so. Answer mine, would you prefer a child to be killed by a knife, club, or strangled. No other options.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:39 PM

its an ethical dilemma,
You are an inmate in a concentration camp. A sadistic guard is about to hang your son who tried to escape and wants you to pull the chair from underneath him. He says that if you don't he will not only kill your son but some other innocent inmate as well. You don't have any doubt that he means what he says. What should you do?

Old 12-21-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
No you need to stand and answer why you think there is a number to be reached for an honest person to give up his guns. If that is not your point say so. Answer mine, would you prefer a child to be killed by a knife, club, or strangled. No other options.
its not about a number.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:43 PM

Roger Smith, a quite competent swimmer, is out for a leisurely stroll. During the course of his walk he passes by a deserted pier from which a teenage boy who apparently cannot swim has fallen into the water. The boy is screaming for help. Smith recognizes that there is absolutely no danger to himself if he jumps in to save the boy; he could easily succeed if he tried. Nevertheless, he chooses to ignore the boy's cries. The water is cold and he is afraid of catching a cold -- he doesn't want to get his good clothes wet either. "Why should I inconvenience myself for this kid," Smith says to himself, and passes on. Does Smith have a moral obligation to save the boy? If so, should he have a legal obligation ["Good Samaritan" laws] as well?

Old 12-21-2012, 09:45 PM

A madman who has threatened to explode several bombs in crowded areas has been apprehended. Unfortunately, he has already planted the bombs and they are scheduled to go off in a short time. It is possible that hundreds of people may die. The authorities cannot make him divulge the location of the bombs by conventional methods. He refuses to say anything and requests a lawyer to protect his fifth amendment right against self-incrimination. In exasperation, some high level official suggests torture. This would be illegal, of course, but the official thinks that it is nevertheless the right thing to do in this desperate situation. Do you agree? If you do, would it also be morally justifiable to torture the mad bomber's innocent wife if that is the only way to make him talk? Why?

Old 12-21-2012, 09:56 PM

Push away from the table and get some sleep, will talk later.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:56 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Good poll question, OP.

The discomfort posters felt with the questions said more than they ever will know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies